Hester lifts Bears with record-breaking effort

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Nakoma1, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Hester lifts Bears with record-breaking effort
    Devin Hester's four career kickoff returns against the Vikings are his most against any NFL team.

And while he didn't get into the end zone Sunday at Soldier Field, Hester ran into the record book—again—and helped lift his team to a 31-30 comeback win with another dazzling display.

[​IMG]
    Against the Vikings, Devin Hester broke his own single-game franchise record with 249 kickoff return yards.Click to view photos from the game.
    Hester broke his own single-game franchise record with 249 kickoff return yards, including clutch returns of 76 and 80 yards that came immediately after the Vikings had scored momentum-swinging touchdowns on a 105-yard kickoff return and a 61-yard fumble return.

"It was huge," said quarterback Jay Cutler. "He was there all day long. He was averaging 50 yards a kickoff return. It's hard to win a game with four turnovers. It just is. It's hard to do in this league. You can't do it without great special teams play and a great defense."

Hester's 76-yard return to the Minnesota 32 set up Cutler's 1-yard touchdown pass to tight end Martellus Bennett, which tied the game 7-7 on the Bears' first possession of the game.

"Hester is amazing," Bennett said. "Anytime he touches the ball you're like, ‘OK, what's going to happen?" He put us in great field position the whole day. They did a great job blocking.

"When he has the ball, I'm a spectator. I'm cheering and I'm jumping. It's just fun to watch him back there. We always joke with him and say, 'You've got to make your money this week because you're just returning kicks.' He earned his check today."

The Bears' starting field position following Hester's five kickoff returns was the Chicago 45. Their game-winning drive started at their own 34 after the Vikings opted to keep the ball out of Hester's hands and kick off short toJoe Anderson, who returned it 14 yards.

"I was really excited about seeing Devin Hester today run and return," said coach Marc Trestman. "He was a big factor in the game, not only when he had his hands on the ball, but he was a factor in the game when they didn't want to kick to him because we had field position."

Hester had previously set the Bears' single-game record with 225 yards in a 42-27 Monday night win over the Rams in St. Louis on Dec. 11, 2006. In that contest, he scored two touchdowns on kickoff returns of 94 and 96 yards.

Hester's four career special teams touchdowns against the Vikings have come on punt returns of 45, 89 and 64 yards and a 98-yard kickoff return.

COMPLETE
    http://www.chicagobears.com/news/ar...g-effort/ce4a5cba-47a9-4bed-ad2c-f8ccbbf8dd62
  2. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    WELL NOW fancy that ,.. If this keeps up ,.. HE may not be going anywhere ,.. Im not going to like seeing him back there on KO returns though,... as I'd rather see him back there solely on punt returns as his punt return yardage will pick hopefully up.

Hester's efforts did give the Bears a better position Which they in turn converted on a few occasions

Glad to see Hester did some damage,.. and broke another record

Maybe we're being a lil premature with him,... hopefully this can roll over into his punt returns ,. but I fear once that happens he'll be a target NOT to punt to ..
  3. ZifanQ

ZifanQ Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +164 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    68ß
    I don't think so. Hester has gotten so many opportunities, and didn't show us he derserved them atleast as WR. He didn't do particular well last season but if he can deliever like this every week then he will for sure break the record for most kickoff/punt returns and might even get a new 1 year contract. Glad to see the old Hester on the field it sure has been a while since last time.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    33ß
    Great to see the old Devin.

I wonder if he does not deserve a special offensive package, :)
  5. ChiCityBears

ChiCityBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Hester was the only flawless player yesterday. It is great to see him back, smiling, and making big returns.
  6. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    The Fox broadcasters were saying Trestman said that that Hester approached Trestman about being only a kick returner this year and that not playing on offense was his (Devin's) request.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,630 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    689ß
    Hester had a problem with Lovie using him as a WR. He wanted to play defense and special teams. He wasn't any good at CB, but that WAS his rookie season. Either way, Trestman's job is a LOT easier than we imagined. A lot of the things he's fixed, including putting Devin solely on special teams, have been no-brainers. I think Weems' days here are numbered, especially if Hester gets 1-3 TD's this season, which looks likely.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. dachuckster

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    ^^^

Hopefully he will be easy to resign.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,630 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    689ß
    I just worry he'll have the same mentality that Olin Kreutz and Brian Urlacher had. The writing should be on the wall at this point for players over 30 not named Brandon Marshall or Jay Cutler; that is to say, "You're gonna have to take less money to play here".
  10. dachuckster

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    I don't think there will be much of a market for 30+ returners. A lot of talk about the NFL eliminating KO returns altogether.
  11. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,630 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    689ß
    Oh yeah, but there wasn't much of a market for Urlacher or Kreutz either. I just hope Hester is more reasonable than those two.
  12. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +408 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    98ß
    Of course he's back to his old ways. It's been painfully obvious for years.. Hester is a danger if he doesn't play receiver. He gets too tired playing offense and ST but if he's soley on ST he's a HOF caliber type guy. I don't understand why it took so long to realize this but I'm glad Trestman sees Hester for what he is.
  13. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,288 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    243ß
    Another 50 ish yards and he would have broke the record for single game return yards. I think most of us on here knew he would become a weapon again if he wasn't ground down into becoming a wr. Freshness matters.
  14. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +751 / 6 / -24
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,216ß
    He's had 7 returns, and averages 42 yards (leads NFL). He's still good as ever at age 30. Since he specializing, he should be good for a couple more years minimum. I just wish they'd move the kickoff back another 5 yards,but it ain't happening.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,058 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,783ß
    David, don't you have that gut feeling that he's ready to take one to the house about now? I'd love to see him do this Sunday night against the Steelers.
  16. DavidL

Ratings:
    +751 / 6 / -24
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,216ß
    Cutler made an interesting comment. He said the Vikings kept a couple guys deep as protection in case Hester got loose. If that's what they did, it sure backfired. I'll take 249 return yards any day, but it would be nice to see Devin extend his record.
    • Like Like x 3
  17. dachuckster

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    It's either that or kick out of bounds on punts. Either way our average starting field position is at our 35 or 40 yard line.
  18. DavidL

Ratings:
    +751 / 6 / -24
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,216ß
    He told Trestman that he didn't want to play offense -- just KR. As Clint Eastwood famously said in one of his movies, "A man has to know his limitations."

My only complaint is that he lets punts roll and cost us yards instead of run up and fair catch. He's muffed a few, so maybe he doesn't trust himself at times.
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  19. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,058 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,783ß
    I agree. His decision making needs to improve in those situations. It takes a very special person, IMHO, to be able to be a return guy at the NFL level.

20. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    LOL@ all the guys on this board who wanted to cut Hester because he makes slightly more than a million this season. Didn't Mr. D. tell you he would return to pimp form as soon as he was back to concentrating as a returner? Hester will be a major difference maker this year for us. Take that to the bank.
    • Like Like x 4