Hester will help Falcons as receiver

Discussion in 'Rival Team Forum' started by little bear, Aug 4, 2014.

1. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +918 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    926ß
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...es-devin-hester-will-help-falcons-as-receiver

Julio Jones: Devin Hester will help Falcons as receiver

When Devin Hester signed a three-year contract with the Atlanta Falcons in March, the assumption was that he would be limited to kick returns -- just as he was in 2013 with the Chicago Bears.
    A week into training camp, Falcons wide receivers are painting a different picture.
    "The thing that people don't understand," Julio Jones told TheMMQB.com's Peter King, "is that for us, he's not just going to be a returner. We've seen it out here. He can help us as a receiver, and he is helping us."
    Whereas the Lovie Smith-era Bears were obsessed with turning Hester into an every-down receiver, it sounds like the Falcons envision the return star as more of a decoy.
    "What Devin is going to do for us is exercise the field," Roddy White explained. "Make the defense cover every corner of the field."
    That sounds good in theory. Whether the Falcons can make it happen on game day is another matter.
    Jones, White and Harry Douglas are locked in as the top three receivers. Offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter has rarely made use of four-wide sets in Atlanta.
    In other words, skepticism is advised.

--------------------

Well, good luck with that.
    :bouncesm:
  2. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,205 / 3 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    577ß
    No need to convince Bears fans to be skeptical about Hester as a receiver.
  3. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,589 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    943ß
    Uh yeah...we tried that too. Didnt work then either.
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,327 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,505ß
    decoy won't work unless he can make a play or 2 also. I will say that I think he has a better chance of becoming a 4-6th WR (which he always should have been) in Atl then he ever did w/Lovie in chi-town. I do think he can go in make make 1-2 catches a game when the play breaks down and he's been forgotten about 10-12 yards down field. It's always been his best use he needs to be facing the ball in open field and allowed to catch and get yac afterwards, the worst thing you can do is ask him to run a deep route(enticing b/c of his speed) b/c he cannot catch over his shoulder. He has to run a curl or a post and only when the opponents 5th best DB is on him.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. MikeGolf97

MikeGolf97 Rookie

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    46ß
    To bad if he is not on or behind the line he can't catch the ball. Better off using him in a Darren Sproles type roll
  6. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +703 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    412ß
    Tice watched this project fail right before his eyes and he's allowing this to happen again. I know he's the line coach but he can speak English(I think) to O coordinator and relate his experience on this idea. Wow Tice you really are solidifying yourself as the ultimate clown of coaching.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,233 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    158ß
    Hester would have been infinitely better in K.C. with Toub than burning his legs out trying to be a WR. I write this just after watching a Chef's return for a TD.
  8. mshu7

mshu7 Veteran

Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    34ß
    I saw that TD return while watching the highlights this morning. My first thought was, "Wow, that was Devin Hester-esque!" It's one play, but it sure looks like the Chiefs have a stud return man on their hands. Good for Toub (spelling?).
  9. Blue Horse-shoe

Blue Horse-shoe Veteran

Ratings:
    +343 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    438ß
    He'll have more TD's on ST than he will as a WR .
  10. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +829 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    876ß
    Agree, unfortunately we never used him like that. We always tried to hit him downfield rather than let him run after the catch. He is slower now so I doubt they will have a different result
  11. DemBirds

DemBirds Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    5 catches for 99 yards in his debut. It helps to have a real QB and elite wide receivers around you.
  12. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,327 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,505ß
    lol at Ryan is a elite qb, omfg paw-lease. Matty Melt down is about as average as Romo and Cutler. He's good, but he's hardly elite, he is not Peyton, Brady, Brees...hell he's not Eli or Flacco or Big Ben; and honestly he's barely Luck, Wilson Kap or Rivers, al of which are better then him and have more playoff success then him(minus Luck).

It does in fact help that they have a OC and elite WR's that allows him to be worked in on a limited basis, and not have to be relied upon.
  13. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,542 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    545ß
    Everyone in this thread has some serious crow to eat.