Holding Peppers back - Having defensive end cover cripples pass rush

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Oct 19, 2013.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,683 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,193ß
    Briggs tactfully throws Mel Tucker under the bus. Sounds like the Tucker is losing the confidence of his players.

2. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,230 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    152ß
    So...maybe Pep isn't so old as he's fallen off a cliff statistically but rather you know...covering people.
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,683 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,193ß
    Sounds like Tucker's defense is fatally flawed. The players know it. I guess this would help explain why last year's top-5 defense in the entire NFL, has looked so bad this year. It isn't just injuries. Hopefully, Trestman will be decisive and bring in a better DC for next season.
  4. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I agree totally. Injuries haven't helped but Tucker is just not a good DC. I am sure in some places his system works but obviously not in Chicago. Trestman has done a good job with the Offensive Staff but obviously the Defensive Staff not so much. I DO know that he offered to let Hot Rod stay (I would have too) heck I would have even let Hot Rod keep the current Defensive Staff from last year.
  5. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,306 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,478ß
    Aren't Def line stunts used to open up someone else on the line to create pressure? Thought that was the point of stunting? If someone could correct me on this it'd be more helpful.

For instance I think in the 2nd or 3rd game one play that got broken down was Pep stunting in and taking out two OL to allow Shea to swoop back into the line and get a clean shot at the qb, he just didn't get there in time.

What I get is that the L isn't good enough to create pressure on it's own, so they are trying to get pressure other ways; but again I could be wrong about that also.
  6. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +708 / 6 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    964ß
    This is a red herring. You can draw up any kind of play you want, but success depends on having the players who can execute it. That's the problem.
  7. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +353 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    307ß
    I wish we had the 85 Defense back. ;(
  8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,683 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,193ß
    If that were true, then why have coaches at all? Just run any play you want.

Winning requires a combination of talent, scheme, solid play calling & execution. How many times have you seen a team with exceptional talent, perform horribly - sometime spanning multiple seasons. Talent is #1, but without the means of utilizing that talent, you're screwed.
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2013