Holmes May Be Boom or Bust But I'm Sticking With Boom.........

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Aug 19, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman
    Expand Collapse
    Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,935ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    Well "Boom Boom" has one hell of a bust there. We should call her "Boob Boob" instead.

Oh and incidentally, thanks for the mammaries. :smilebig:

#11 soulman, Aug 20, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  2. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    5,287ß
    Holmes adds yet another bigger WR with good speed. He's not as tall, but he's powerfully built and 220 pounds. B.Marsh, Alshon, Marquis, Morgan and now Holmes are all guys who run fast for bigger WR's. All of them are in that 4.45 to 4.5ish, 40yd range. Actually, I think Brandon Marshall is the slowest of those four and he's a pretty fast big man. I'm really excited about this acquisition. I feel like we're going into the season with better depth now - no matter who the #3 WR ends up being.

3. soulman

soulman
    Expand Collapse
    Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,935ß
    Santonio Holmes Contract, Phil Emery Does it Again

Aug 19, 2014
    [​IMG]

As most people are now well aware of, the Chicago Bears signed WR Santonio Holmes on Saturday. Now, the details as to what the contract entails have been officially released.

One-year, at the veterans minimum of $855,000 with no money guaranteed. The Bears were able to sign Holmes with the lowest risk possible, and it was a good move. This is why the Bears chose to not go after Earl Bennett again, because he felt he was worth more and refused a pay cut.

Phil Emery, time and time again, has shown to be more than capable in the front office. It almost makes you forget of the Jerry Angelo days. Just another smart and safe signing by Emery & Co.

4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    5,287ß
    Gotta love Uncle Phil and Cliff Stein.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,972ß
    The busts in Canton have nothing on this!

6. dachuckster

dachuckster
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,343ß
    I heard somewhere that with his number of years/vesting that Holmes will be guaranteed the entire $855K if he is on the roster in Game 1. Is that correct or was the guy on the radio full of it?

• Like Like x 1
  7. BSBEARS

BSBEARS
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,246ß
    He will get paid the $885 as a vested veteran, the exclusion though is the same thing they did with McCown so his salary cap hit is only the $550K or whatever the figure is.

8. soulman

soulman
    Expand Collapse
    Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,935ß

You technically she's actually wearing Bronco colors with a Bears logo. Not that I'm complaining mind you. :perv:

9. soulman

soulman
    Expand Collapse
    Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,935ß

Yep, that's correct. Here's a summary of how it works. It should be interesting to see how the Bears deal with some of the older players or guys who may be replaced when a guy on IR like Wilson returns.

The benefits of making an NFL roster are plentiful for young players, but for veterans, being on the Week One roster means a guaranteed paycheck. If they are on the final roster all "vested veterans" around the league will have their entire season salary guaranteed. For those unaware, a "vested veteran" is a player with four or more accredited NFL seasons.

The full guarantee of a "vested veteran" salary is obviously beneficial to a player that has made it past the average NFL career (3.5 years), but it can also be a curse for high-paid players that are past their prime or fringe guys with little leverage. NFL general managers are aware of the value of keeping only a select number of "vested veterans," because team's want the flexibility to wipe contracts off the books if a player is not delivering on the field. This is why you will see several talented "vested veterans" on the street during Week 1, but suddenly sign a deal on the Tuesday after the first games are played.

When a team signs a "vested veteran" after Week 1, the organization can sign that player for the league minimum with little risk. If the player is only good enough to last a few weeks or is just signed to fill-in for an injury, the team can drop them and their salary. It is essentially a way to beat the system, while still allowing older players to catch a last paycheck or opportunity.

10. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,972ß
    she's wearing colors? I guess I was more focused on the skin tone parts...