Honeymoon's over for Trestman, just like these other coaches.

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Nov 13, 2013.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,067 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    327ß
    FWIW.

[​IMG]

2. ChiCityBears

ChiCityBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
  3. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,235 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    494ß
    Journalists are so desperate for views these days. Quite sad, really. "Oh noes, a rookie HC had a gaffe halfway through his first season. fuck it, honeymoon's over."
    • Like Like x 3
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,662 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    576ß
    worst article ever
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,033 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    69ß
    I was as critical of Trestman's decisions in the Detroit game as anyone, but we are a long long way away from MT exhausting his "honeymoon capital" IMHO. He finally has brought Chicago a big boy NFL offense which most of us have never seen here before. And (see: McCown, Josh) he lent a great deal of credence to his supposed rep as a "QB whisperer".

He did screw up this past weekend (on more than just sticking with a hurt/ineffective starting QB too long) but I still LOVE the guy.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,235 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    494ß
    And if his huge "gaffe" means we only lose by two measly points, ill take it.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,400 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    315ß
    5-4 with a rookie HC, whose team is decimated by injuries, to include his starting QB, and the honeymoon's over? I assume this means the Bears know this marriage is gonna last?
    • Like Like x 1
  8. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +538 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    133ß
    The honeymoon's over for Q??? That's the best he's got???? Stupid, dumb and not worth the paper he wrote it on. Amateur.

P.S. I know. He wrote it on the internet, not paper. But that's my point.
  9. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +281 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    20ß
    Trestman made a couple of calls that did not work out, but it does not mean that he did not stand behind them, or that they were even wrong.

Like Cutler is the best QB we have had in decades, the same can be said about Trestman. I still have my "Man Crush" .
  10. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,400 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    315ß
    I think a bigger problem than Trestman's gutsy playcalling is the response in the media and by fans to his admission of keeping Cutler in too long, as signs of a "structural weakness" of his coaching. Granted, that's not been made explicit at this point, I think anyone with a double digit IQ (or higher....hopefully much higher) should be able to see that episode as being fodder for the inevitable unfair assessments made by those in the media, once our season is over and there's nothing else for the 2nd largest football media market to complain about. I've been one of his harshest critics on this board, but that's because of a few tough decisions he's made along the way. His offensive scheme, when the QB follows it, is simple and makes the best of the strengths of the offense. Honestly, the most annoying thing related to Trestman is that Bears fans think because of all the injuries this defense has suffered along the way, that somehow firing a DC that's been forced to make major changes to the gameplan repeatedly, will somehow "fix things". We honestly don't know how good or bad of a coach Tucker is, and this "Rod Marinelli/Lovie Smith" talk needs to die.
  11. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,067 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    327ß
    1. Most of us had expectations for this season that were too high.
    2. Getting swept by the Detroit Lions is hard for a lot of fans to cope with.
    3. Most fans are in shock about how bad our defense is this year. Even in the worst years, and under our worst coaches, we usually had stout defenses.
    4. We aren't used to a coach who gives us honest answers. Usually we just get the old "There's a lot of football left to play"...but Coach T said he probably screwed up. So some folks (like this half-wit) want to take the opportunity to "pile on" to the guy.
    5. Most of the fan base was in total denial about the Bears rebuilding under Trestman. Many thought he'd build on a 10-win Lovie Smith season and it would be easy. Now reality is setting in. This could be a multi-year rebuilding effort. It could easily be 2015 before we see another 10 win season or a return to the playoffs (yeah, I know we're in denial on this too). And there's frankly no guarantee that we even get back to the Super Bowl like we did with Lovie. That would send fans into orbit I thing (down the road).

I'm optimistic that we'll do really well with Trestman. But there isn't' a guarantee that this will happen overnight.
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  12. billatter

billatter Veteran

Ratings:
    +187 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    46ß
    Sorry guys, but I'm getting the giggles over this. I mean, it was so predictable. His first admission of a screw up and the chattering classes are after his butt. Tell him not to worry. Montreal will be looking for a head coach this off season. Jim Popp is keeping his seat warm and they have themselves a new Heisman winner QB in need of some whispering.
  13. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,067 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    327ß
    It was a hard loss on a number of levels. But people are still pumped about Trestman (this article was not an accurate reflection of fan attitudes overall).

But, Bears fans are not used to getting swept by the Detroit Lions. It was especially hard due to the fact the Packers lost Rodgers, and it appeared like the Bears could retake the division with a win over the Lions. It's been a living nightmare season with all of the injuries to key players, so folks were not in a giddy mood to begin with. Now everyone is pretty much devastated with how the season is crashing.

And the final kick in the groin was giving away a game that was so winable. We basically handed them the win - and the division lead.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,232 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    290ß
    Sadly, someone will probably grab firetrestman.com

I am one of those that think that the loss was a direct result of some of Trestmans's decisions. But no way do I think he is a bad coach. I am happy he is here. He is a huge improvement over what we had. A bad decision is a bad decision, but I don't get the feeling that Trestman would make some of those decisions again if he had the chance either.

The guy is not infallible, but for me the bottom line is... yes, I think he lost that game for us. But he also won more than we would have without him. And I think it will continue to get better under him.

The team is still getting players he wants, etc. We are going to change quite a bit over the next few years. I think a long term perspective is on order. And honestly, while there are people blaming Trestman, I think there are few that would like to see him go. I don't think there is anything wrong with calling things as you see them. It can be Trestmans fault and he still be a good coach. It's not like that is the first time in the history of football that has happened :)
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,232 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    290ß
    yep!
  16. billatter

billatter Veteran

Ratings:
    +187 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    46ß
    Well, I'm glad you want to keep him, for if he goes back to Montreal and gets his hands on Smith, he'll eviscerate my poor Ticats.

Some people in this business should be sent back to "Keeping Things in Perspective 101".
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,033 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    69ß
    1. Probably so. But that's what August is for, right? Lol. Seriously, I hate fans who are apathetic or pessimistic and then jump on the bandwagon at Thanksgiving at 8-2 when it's "safe". There was a lot of excitement here in preseason for Trestman and the O (which has proven largely justified) but the toll taken on the D by age and injuries has been way greater than i expected. STs have declined a lot too, again more than I had hoped.

2. Yeah, getting swept by Detroit sucks especially coming off a great win at Lambeau and playing at home to take the division lead. Ironically, the defense played a reasonably decent game against a potent offense but you gotta score more than 2 TDs! It was a really disappointing performance considering the stakes and the fact that the team should have been in high spirits coming in.

3. The wheels came off. Pretty much every starter has either disappointed this year, gotten hurt, or both.

4. Coach T is da man. I think he's entitled to a few mistakes in his first year after being away from the NFL in Canada for a while. I imagine his natural aggressiveness will get tempered with discretion a little bit (at least until the OL improves in run blocking). He got away with one "gutsy" 4th down play--BARELY--but got burned the very next week. I still think the wiser decision there was to attempt the FG at home with one of the leagues best kickers on your side with 4th and a yard+ to go.

5. A lot of us hoped the O could go from near-bottom of the NFL rankings to the mid-upper teens this year. Well, it exceeded expectations. Will Emery be able to get the defense back to middle-of-the-road? And how fast?
  18. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,033 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    69ß
    Very well said. It's perfectly possible for MT to be a damn good coach and a huge improvement who still made mistakes worthy of critique. Even Lovie got better on challenges so I assume Trestman will have little problem learning and refining from experience.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,700 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    468ß
    Isn't the first season the "Honeymoon Phase"?

I swear, fans in this day in age want instant results.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    If Lovie was the Coach we'd be 5-11 or 6-10 this year.