Honeymoon's over for Trestman, just like these other coaches.

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,613 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    673ß
    EXACTLY. While I've been critical of Jay's performance for most of the season, I must disagree with anyone who hasn't seen any type of progression from Jay this year. I also agree with everyone that making McCown look good, for as bad as his passing is, is a bigger sign that Trestman has made the biggest impact in the shortest time on our offense, than anyone since the T formation. I hope no one takes that as a knock on Walter or the 85 Bears offense, but many of those offensive piece were in place for a few years before the entire team came together. Trestman is working with 2 FA linemen, and 2 rookie linemen, and STILL has more ppg than the 85 bears(whose defense, unarguably helped them) in his first season.
  2. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    65ß
    Though the article itself was lackluster, no coach should be given the kind of blanket passes you are tossing him. The job of these journalists is to question people in power.

Keep sticking uber loyal to Trestman even though he's proven to be a terribly and maddeningly inconsistent play-caller, manager and slow adjuster over his short tenure. Three straight passes on the GL and three straight runs when we have been moving the ball through the air in the open field - just a sample of the idiocy that is his management over the course of this season. The way throws away drives is Shoop-esque.
  3. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,613 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    673ß
    Um, Trestman is doing better than every other rookie HC. Not to mention, most HC's make mistakes in their first year.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Agreed. Have I questioned Trestman's play calling at times? Yes. There are times I think he's too gutsy but other then that I think he's doing okay for a 1st year HC.
  5. lklrlolnlilklsox

Ratings:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    65ß
    Tallest midget? Doesn't change the fact that he calls a horrible game. Call his bullshit ballsy all you want, we let them walk in the end zone without using a TO and he's getting torched. Robbie's kick on third down hooks a foot later and that's another terrible wasted call. One of the few dumb decisions he's made that magically worked out.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,613 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    673ß
    1. You wanna play the "He should've called a TO on the final drive" game? Okay, he wouldn't have been put in that position if his defender doesn't make a bonehead 15 yard penalty
    2. Wow, sorry for condescending to you, but when you have an inexperienced LS, it's common sense to kick the GW FG on third down. If he bobbles the snap, they have a chance to fall on it, and try again.
    3. You're saying that kicking a FG on 3rd down is riskier than throwing the ball in overtime? Really think about what you're saying here.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +2,266 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,659ß
    The guy has warts. Who doesn't? But I agree that he is the best HC we have had for a long time. He may have been a HC for a while in Canada, but the NFL is not exactly the same, and his players are completely different. He is not only getting re-acclimated to the NFL, he is finding out what he has in his players, and he is getting a crach course on the other NFL teams and their coaches tendencies.

That is not to say that he can do no wrong or that his decisions can be forgiven, but there is a lot going on, he is human and he is better than anyone I can remember for a while. Keep in mind. He either has a bum D, a bum DC, or both and he is the primary reason that we are scoring as much as we are, Yes, he squanders points, but even with the points he squanders, there are more left on the board than there have been in several years under Lovie and his traveling troup of OC's.

I think it right to be critical when someone does something wrong... Hell, I was critical when I thought his FG call cost us the Lions game, so I don't agree with not criticizing someone just because they are doing a good job. A bad decision deserves criticism, but the overall picture and perspective should be kept in mind.

Just speaking for myself, I would never go back to Love after Trestman.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. lklrlolnlilklsox

Ratings:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    65ß
    1. HE WAS IN THAT POSITION. Talk about playing the giant what if game. What if he doesn't run the same four runs all game with Forte and realizes that they couldn't stop us when we pushed the ball down field?
    2. He trusted Robbie over gambling for a few more yards or going for the win through the air, that's cool, it's still called a wasted play in those conditions if the ball didn't squeak in.
    3. Strategy be damned in those conditions, I take every chance I have to move the ball and increase my odds.

BTW, I won't thumbs down your post in return, because I'm not a Mark Ass Trick.
  9. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,613 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    673ß
    1. you contradict your first point with your second and third points. Why? Because Robbie DID make the FG, AND Trestman won the game, therefore......he made the right call
    2. You're blaming Trestman on the basis of "what if he missed it"? The holes in your argument are bigger than our defense's run game.
    3. Wait, so you're saying he's "horrible" at strategy, yet, he made the right call, and you're saying "strategy doesn't matter" here? The holes in your argument are now big enough for a Mongolian army to march through.
  10. lklrlolnlilklsox

Ratings:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    65ß
    False. First of all, points of argument aren't joined at the hip and can be argued separately under the assumed logic of such. There's also nothing in my second or third points that contradict my first statement, I'll link you to the definition of contradict if you need that, though. To contradict my statements would require a broad spectrum logical normality and omission of the very fact that I am questioning his management and decisions based on the fact that he is taking low-percentage gambles in each instance. We DID manage to stop them in the fourth despite this D's track record saying the percentages of that happening were beyond small and the odds of them walking off with a win leaving very few ticks on the clock were favorable.

I absolutely judge him on the basis of "what if", because I've seen a season full of "what ifs" that went the other way largely due to miss-management and hilariously shitty play calling that allowed opponents to hang in with us even when our D steppe dup. I said strategy be damned, as in typical strategy has to be adjusted in those conditions. I'll put it in baby lingo next time. That FG went in by the absolute narrowest of margins - literally. That FG was absolutely affected by the conditions and he decided to gamble on the absolute lowest percentage FG try in that situation.

This game, much like the second Lions game and Saints game, was wide open for us to run away with if he doesn't get cute in his "final four minutes" outsmart the world bullshit. Air the ball out and watch us run away with every single one of those game - instead he throws away drives constantly and his ball jockeys chalk it up to keeping the opponent off-balance. What if Marc Trestman didn't hand games away to the Lions and Saints? Answer - we'd be firmly in the playoff picture.

Look, I like Trestman. I think his scheme is top notch and I like that he has some balls on him. I just don't care for his outsmart the world bullshit that shines through in every facet of his in-game management.
  11. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +2,266 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,659ß
    sox - good summary statement. I don't think he is the kind of guy that is trying to outsmart the world. This is just my speculation but it almost seems like being the cerebral guy that he is, he is playing chess all the time and seems to place a high value on making moves that the opponent will not expect. While there is some value in that, many times the opponent does not expect those moves because they do not make as much sense as other possible moves.

Just my .02
  12. lklrlolnlilklsox

Ratings:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    65ß
    There's a reason why always throwing the ball from the goal line doesn't make much sense to the opposition - because it's dumb football.
  13. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,613 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    673ß
    Yes there is. You said "what if" doesn't matter, in relation to Bowman making that horsecollar penalty, which would negate Trestman's lack of calling timeouts at the end of regulation. Then you say "well, Robbie could've missed the FG", which clearly falls into "what if" territory. THEN you criticize him for making the right call on 3rd and 7, saying he should've gone for it, because Gould could've "missed the field goal". I'm not reaching to connect the dots here.

Okay, if you're going to judge him on the basis of "what if", yet you say "HE WAS IN THAT POSITION. Talk about playing the giant what if game. What if he doesn't run the same four runs all game with Forte and realizes that they couldn't stop us when we pushed the ball down field?", then you have a very obvious flaw in your logic.

I'm not being a jerk here, but care to explain how we could've "taken off and ran away" with this game? IIRC, The Ravens had 10 points on us early in the game.

That's cool you think that, but his in game management is PART OF HIS SCHEME.
  14. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,613 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    673ß
    horrible run blocking MUST be taken into consideration here.
  15. strockrocks

strockrocks Veteran

Ratings:
    +218 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    31ß
    We have 3 receivers 6'3 and taller. I don't know, I like the chances of one of them catching a TD. Didn't work out that way today, but I'd take advantage of the height in the future.

And in all honesty, who gives a shit about anything the day of a hard fought, crappy conditions, windy-ass, 5 hour game that we came out on top. Fricking celebrate people. We are right back in this thing. I heard the locker room was FIRED UP and so should everyone be today. There are only 16 games; enjoy the ones they win. You can start picking apart every negative thing about each player and the coaches tomorrow.
    • Like Like x 2
  16. lklrlolnlilklsox

Ratings:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    65ß
    Again, you fail to understand what contradiction is and the whole idea behind points of argument. Can't help you there. You are also still failing to grasp the entire point behind my criticism and argument being of the "what if/percentages" variety.

Pretty simple. We tied it back up quickly by going right at the through the air, which they failed to stop, along with fortuitous plays on D. The Ravens failed to stop us from stretching the field all day, yet half of our possessions were "shrink back/set up" play calls. That's the exact mentality that kept us from taking over EASILY winnable games against the Saints and Lions.

And that's truly unfortunate, because it's kept a couple big Ws off the board while doing little more than keeping wins closer than they need to be.
  17. lklrlolnlilklsox

Ratings:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    65ß
    Wasn't it funny when we managed to take two of them off the field last week for one of the biggest plays of our season? Well, not so much funny as it is terrible.
  18. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,613 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    673ß
    No, I fail to understand your reasoning, because you CLEARLY only hold to arguments, as they suit your point.

So, you're saying we should've kept throwing the ball against the Ravens, and that line of reasoning is what lost us against the Saints and Lions. You do realize that throwing the ball so much helped the Saints and Lions out, right?
  19. lklrlolnlilklsox

Ratings:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    65ß
    False.

No I don't, because that simply is not true. Failing to continue stretching the field through the air helped the opponents out. Shrinking back into screens, draws and flats half of those games, even though neither (nor the Ravens) could stop us when we decided to push the ball downfield, kept the opponents in the game. To steal a line from Dennis Green, we let them off the hook.
  20. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,613 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    673ß
    Then you don't remember that we were throwing the ball repeatedly against those teams. Nor do you realize that the weather conditions at Soldier field today, made passing a difficult thing to do, so SOME running was required. McCown is our backup and not our starter for a REASON. Trestman's will HAVE to be forced to make more conservative play calls with a weaker armed QB on the field. And ya know what? He's underrated, considering he has 2 different offensive schemes running this year, one for each QB.