How good will the Defense be

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BSBEARS, May 18, 2014.

1. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +498 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    322ß
  2. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +498 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    322ß
    Another rant form Rant Sports.

Yesterday the Chicago Bears became the first NFL team to have their 2014 first-round draft pick under contract when Kyle Fuller agreed to a four-year deal with an option for a fifth year. This signing marked the seventh draft pick the Bears have brought under contract since the end of the draft last weekend. Only third-round pick Will Sutton remains unsigned as of right now. In addition to these seven draft selections the team has already locked up nine undrafted free agents, including Heisman Trophy finalist Jordan Lynch.
    While the majority of Chicago sports[​IMG] fans remain enamored with the goings on of the Chicago Cubs‘ front office and their ongoing rebuild, along with the wild success that the Chicago Blackhawks have enjoyed in large part because of their front office leadership, the Bears have quietly strung together a few successful offseasons. Over the past three years, the team has brought in a premier wide receiver in Brandon Marshall, signed their franchise QB Jay Cutler to a long-term extension and used the NFL Draft to bring in two Pro Bowl caliber players in OG Kyle Long and WR Alshon Jeffery.
    Now, after struggling mightily on defense last season, GM Phil Emery and company have seemingly addressed their weak points on that side of the ball this offseason, much in the way they did last year with the offense. The only thing this Bears team appears to be lacking is a way to convert all of this hard work in the offseason into wins on the field. While the team always seems to be in contention for the division title, simply making the postseason just won’t cut it anymore. With the amount of talent that has been assembled on this team there should be no reason they can’t start bringing home[​IMG] some serious hardware.
    It is high time some of this great preseason work turns into great postseason celebrations.
    Mike Cuddy is a Chicago Bears writer for RantSports.com. Follow him on Twitter @MikeCuddy, “Like” him on Facebook, or add him to your network on Google.

Read more at http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2014/...nother-stellar-offseason/?p3GPFbIz8Evq74vM.99
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,866 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    115ß
    This ^^^^^

I am feeling pretty good about the team. I also think we'll have better depth at most positions. Better than we've had in recent years. This is Trestman's second year, so don't you think he'll be in a far better position this year? Emery has had another year to fix some holes left by Angelo too. My head tells me we're probably 1 more year away from a serious SB run. But my heart feels like anything is possible and this year could be a great one.
  4. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +498 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    322ß
    Feeling pretty good too and very optimistic. Just hope not getting another TE does not nip us in the butt. Obviously if Cutler goes down for a prolonged period of time would be a problem as well. I trust Trestman will make Cutler more than aware of this and coach him to get rid of the ball and fight another day. If we can keep the team healthy, on paper we look as good as anyone else. Let the celebration ceremonies begin..
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,024 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    46ß
    I would be disappointed if we did not hit the post season this year. How far we go... I have no idea until I see the team play and see how much they improve by mid- season, but IMO we should be in the playoffs at some level.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,474 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    727ß
    I'll be more than disappointed if we can't at least reach the playoffs with this team. I really can't imagine the offense doing any worse unless the whole OLine goes down this year and with as many additions as Emery made to the defense there's no reason that should turn around.

How good will the defense be? Well we have three starting DEs who rank in the top 20 (two in the top ten) of all NFL DEs and a crafty old pro whose always been a productive player for us. That's a good start. We have a former 4 time Pro Bowl NT whose 100% healthy for the first time in two years, two pretty good vet DT/NTs, and we spent two higher draft picks on two more DTs one of whom should be a pretty good pass rusher. If this line can't stop the run and get some serious pressure and sacks then we are in trouble.

Two Pro Bowl CBs and a 1st round draft pick to play NB plus good vet depth behind these guys. One Pro Bowl LB and another 10 year vet who can hold the fort at MLB or SLB while the younger guys develop their games. No real top drawer talent at S but enough bodies with enough experience to create some competition and a rookie who may be better than the others. They look at least as strong as they did at the beginning of 2013 and maybe stronger. I like this mix of vets and youth a lot more.

So the defense may have a few holes but I don't think they're so bad that we can't win with them. The talent is there so now it's all about the scheme and the coaching.
  7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,866 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    115ß
    I agree, and with this being the 2nd year in the Trestman offense, I'd expect it to actually improve a bit. Certainly you'd expect the right side of our offensive line to improve now that the two rookies there have a year of NFL experience under their belt. I'm hoping the run-blocking improves this year too.
  8. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +417 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    The defense should be vastly improved. It has been said on here an I've heard multiple other places...radio,tv ect. that there are absolutely no excuses this year. Emery has handed Tucker and co all the pieces they need in order to be successful. The unit has been revamped from front to back.

We now have a deep rotation on our D-line and added both proven vets as well as talented rookies. Our LB corps is still anchored by a perennial pro bowler in Briggs and our young players now all have a year of experience under their belt. Shea is up in the air, we will see. We also added a LB who was thought to be a first round selection at one time, and if he can keep his head on straight has the potential to be very surprising for us. Our defensive backfield has 2 pro bowl CBs as well as an extremely talented rookie to take the NB job and provide depth. Safeties have some new bodies, and hopefully a healthy Conte.

Emery has done his job, now it's Tucker's turn to do his.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,482 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    307ß
    was anyone listening to 670 AM over the last hour? Emery was on, but my 4g service on my phone sucks at work so all I got was bits and pieces. I did hear him say that they always knew Tucker was their guy, but needed to get better/more experienced coaches under him.

Did he say anything else?
  10. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +263 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    53ß
    I'm at work so I didn't get a changce to listen.

But it the podcast should be posted on the following site in an hour or two ...

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/audio/
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +343 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    On paper there's enough talent to be at least a Top 10 defense so I'd say Top 15 is required and/or expected. If the cards fall the right way and we get some lucky breaks this could be a Top 5 Defense. Depending on injuries to our team and to the teams we face, the way the ball bounces, and weather conditions among other things we'll see where we end up. Factors like that add up throughout the year. But I'm expecting in the Top 15 at least.
  12. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +343 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    Still waiting for the interview to show up in the podcasts. Here's an article written post-interview, apparently Emery touched on Chris Williams and his return abilities during the show.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2014/05/19/bears-williams-has-inside-track-to-handle-return-duties/