How important is Marc Trestman?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Henry Burris, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    413ß
    BREAKING: #Alouettes fire Dan Hawkins as head coach, GM Jim Popp will take over the role.

While that sucks for them, any time a guy is hard to replace, that's usually a good thing.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,860 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,588ß
    So Hawk loses another job huh? Shoulda stayed at BSU where he had it made.
  3. ticat

ticat Veteran

Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    16ß
    Hawkins was brutal. A.C for some reason could not hit a barn door. Pratices were in a disaray, huge difference fron trestman.
  4. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    59ß
    It is good to see he was hard to replace.

From what I hear I like the style Trestman brings to the table. He seems very invested in it and players seem to buy in. We will see come September, after that what he did prior will not matter one bit.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. motownbear

motownbear derp daderp daderpidity derp Staff Member Staff Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    if trestman turns cutler into a legit 100 mil qb then you know this guy is the shiznit
    • Like Like x 1
  6. billatter

billatter Veteran

Ratings:
    +204 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    76ß
    The only surprise is that OC Mike Miller wasn't shown the door with Hawkins. He's been atrocious and AC has been told to coach him up. The body language from the players on the sidelines says everything. It's like Miller has leporsy. To put it into context, Trestman = Einstein while Hawkins = Gomer Pyle.

BTW, another thread alluded to Trestman as "mad scientist". To give you an idea how creative he can be, he exploited CFL rules to kick a pass for a first down off of a fake field goal attempt. The guys he assigned to catch the ball? Two linebackers. Can't do that in the NFL, I realize, but it does illustrate his creativity and his guts in taking risks. Enjoy the experience -- the Bears fans will have a fun year, win or lose.

For those interested in the play:
    • Like Like x 7
  7. Papa_Bear_7

Papa_Bear_7 Veteran

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    42ß
    That's outstanding. :D
    • Like Like x 1
  8. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,988 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,003ß
    That is awesome.
  9. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,564 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    781ß
    Having a top HC is SOOOOO important. I hope Trestman is that guy. If that is the case, we will win several games on just that. Going to be an exciting year. I will miss Lovie sleeping on the sidelines though. Trestman looks to be pretty high energy out there. I think it will be contageous. I like it.
  10. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    COOL!!!!!
  11. billatter

billatter Veteran

Ratings:
    +204 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    76ß
    For those of you who know of Hawkins, a bit more info on the story. After being told to make few changes and don't fix what ain't broke, he threw out the Trestman playbook entirely. When advice was offered, it was ignored. When things blew up, it was all on him.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. ticat

ticat Veteran

Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    16ß
    Tonite on nbcsn is going to be a great game 5-0 sask vs 4-1 calgary if you want to check out canadian football.
    Friday August 9, 2013 at 9:00pm – SSK/Calgary
    • Like Like x 1
  13. AtomicTommy

AtomicTommy DaBears Ditka

Ratings:
    +2,760 / 13 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    256ß
    Ummm... I'm sure it will be... but I'll be watching the Bears... lol
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Blue Horse-shoe

Blue Horse-shoe Veteran

Ratings:
    +277 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    285ß
    If u look at him as the QB of the whole frockin team - duh - gee - yeah he IS THAT important . They weren't terrible tonight but there's still miles and miles to go . 8-8 is all I'm expecting this yr . New offense new coaches etc ...... be realistic . Hopefully they do worse so we can get a higher draft choice . Yeah , antithesis of real Bears fan thinking ... but I'm looking at a few years down the road . And a few really high draft choices could really do wonders for this teams future . We're rebuilding - whether some of u want to admit it or not .
    • Like Like x 1
  15. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    58ß
    One thing I really liked about what I saw tonight In Trestman's offense was that any time they were in scoring range, they always had at least one receiver attacking the endzone with their route. It's risky to ask your QB to fire it into the lower percentage plays on a consistent basis, but paired with an offense where the other routes are of the high-efficiency, move the chains variety - the reward level is very tempting. Hopefully, they find the right balance as the unit grows together, but I hope it is a very aggressive gameplan week-in and week-out.
  16. ticat

ticat Veteran

Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    16ß
    LOL Sorry lads, I forgot the bears were on. But it was'nt as wild as I expected but it turned out to be a battle of the running back. sask RB Steele- 133 cal RB cornish -175.
  17. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    413ß
    It seems like the non local media seems to view Chip Kelly and Marc Trestman as enigmas. The obvious questions of how Chip Kelly can adapt to the NFL loom over his head, but even while acknowledging the immense resume of Trestman, and complimenting him for his work with the 49ers and Raiders (it makes sense that he was running the show in Oakland, because, I forgot the HC's name, but he was a ****** moron), they still ask "how will he adapt to the NFL?" He's not trying to reinvent the wheel like Chip Kelly seems to, and yes, he will have some adjusting, but he has guys that have already worked with his version of an NFL offense, and they've been running successful offenses too, last time I checked on the Saints...Also, I keep forgetting our DC's name, but I remember reading before the hire that a successful season in Chicago will likely earn him a HC spot somewhere. This coaching staff is the one part of the organization I'm probably overly hyped on.