How much of a turnaround should we realistically expect in 2015?

Discussion in 'Front Page News' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Mar 20, 2015.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    5,287ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    The key word here is "realistically" and not what we "hope" happens. Actually, we should improve this year significantly even if that isn't reflected by a big improvement in the win column this year. Here are a few key stats regarding last season that we should be able to improve upon:

1. The defense gave up historically high scores of 50+ point curb stompings. I don't see that happening this year....I really don't.

2. The defense last year was ranked 31st as far as points allowed per game. Only the Oakland Raiders defense was worse than us in this category. We allowed 27.6 points per game (LINK).

3, The offense scored less than 20 points per game - 19.0 (LINK). That ranked us in the lower-10 of the NFL teams. By comparison, Green Bay led the league in offense with an average score of 30.4 points per game. The Patriots were at 29.2. Ultimately if we want to play with the big boys we need to be scoring a lot more points than 19 per game. But I think this is an area we could improve upon if we could get an NFL-quality OL in place here in Chicago. Not a cobbled together piece of crap like we now have with Garza, Mills & Turnstile Bushrod.

4. Two other things come to mind where we could significantly improve this year. Even with Cutler here again, I don't see us turning the ball over at such an alarming (league leading) rate. I think the play calling can help us here immensely. Take the ball out of Cutler's hands and run the ball more consistently. If we would seriously upgrade the OL and be capable of solid run-blocking, then this is definitely an area we can improve upon THIS year. The play calling should be better because I can't imagine another set of coaches being as bad as what we had last year. So the two things here (play calling in general, and running the ball more) should help the offense climb out of that bottom-10 scoring category.

I'm thinking we may not see a big positive swing in the number of wins this year. But the games should be more competitive and less embarrassing to watch. I'm thinking a 5 to 7 win season would be a reasonable expectation, and another relatively high draft pick next year. Maybe that will be good for us if we want to pick a QB out of what should be a better QB class in 2016.

chi_g_bearsts2_600x400.jpg

2. a_miljan

a_miljan
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    740ß
    That is exactly my thinking and I would be perfectly content with it, and the year after that a few wins more, lets say 8 or 9

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    5,287ß
    I could certainly see the record being better than a 5 to 7 win season. And we could have a quick turnaround (hey, in the NFL anything is possible).

But I don't expect that to happen.

Not when I look at that roster. We will certainly add a few more FA's but it's not like we're adding stud top-tier players at this point. And we won't have more than 1 true impact player added in the draft.....and that's assuming we don't pull a "McClellin" and whiff on the pick. Sure, we'll have a few more players added who (hopefully) will be decent (not just the 1st round pick but maybe in rounds 2 and 3). But it's not like the draft brings in a bunch of studs ready to start day-1. That isn't happening.

4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    5,287ß
    Now that we've added some decent FA's, what do you guys think? What do you realistically see our record as being this year? What do you expect the minimum number of wins to be this season?

5. AAJ

AAJ
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,477ß
    Since we added

McPhee, Royal, Rolle, McDonald and Jenkins. It should spice up the defense. It would drastically improve the defense if we get Danny Shelton or Vic Beasley.....Im making a prediction 10-6for the Bears this season. And they'll be top 15 in overall defense. If we draft Shelton I expect him to have a season like Aaron Donald did, If we draft Vic Beasley, I expect him to have a season like a Aldon Smith or Von Miller.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,961ß
    Honestly, who are the decent FAs other than McPhee? Do you think they will make a difference? I mean more than what we already have? I think there is an incremental difference, but not sure that we are playoff ready. We still have to get past GB. Not sure we did that. And I wasn't really expecting that to happen in the first year.

I just want to see a team that plays hard, is in the game, moves the ball, and is not dysfunctional. If we have that, and we draft well, we have something to build on.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    5,287ß
    I agree with you that we haven't exactly transformed the roster, but rather we have begun the process of upgrading it. But we do have a decent beginning, I think anyway. I realize it's early to judge the final roster at this point. I think a 5 to 7 win season would be realistic to expect. I'd be pretty sad if we won fewer than 5 games this first year. And if we won more than 7 games (certainly possible) then I'll be ecstatic. I also look forward to a team that is not dysfunctional. It was pretty embarrassing to read all the tabloid type stuff last year while Trestman proclaimed "the practices are going well" and "the locker room is in a good place" -- when in reality the locker room was totally out of control and while I appreciate that Marc liked his practice sessions, it would have been nice to not be getting 50+ point curb stompings in the games.

8. B-ell-y-iot

B-ell-y-iot
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    907ß
    I think somewhere between 6-10 and 8-8 would be acceptable. In addition to a rebuild we have a pretty strong schedule.

More than anything I want to see some balance on offense and some aggressiveness on defense.

#8 B-ell-y-iot, Apr 5, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Bretts Daddy

Bretts Daddy
    Expand Collapse
    Rookie

ßearz ßuckz:
    10ß
    I would do cartwheels if we went 8-8 but I honestly expect maybe a 6 or 7 win season is more realistic. Look, we're a team that's in re-build mode (I know there are some people who will strongly disagree with this assessment but the writing is pretty much on the wall for all to see) and I don't expect a winning season this year or next and that's how it should be! The last thing we need is to sign a bunch of high priced free agents so that we can make the playoffs but be a 1 and done participant, this would just perpetuate the mediocrity which would get the Bears nowhere. A rebuild will allow coach Fox and GM Pace to get rid of the trash and build the team in their vision with their type of players. This will probably take 2-3 years before we really start to see the dividends pay off but once they do I think us Bears fans will be happy as we should have a consistently successful team that is a perennial playoff participant and have a legit shot at a Super Bowl for years to come. If this is the fruition of the labors of Pace/Fox than I'm okay with us having losing records the next couple of seasons as long as we're competitive as we need a few years worth of high draft picks so we can infuse this team with some nice young impact players that can become cornerstones for years to come!

10. Blue Horse-shoe

Blue Horse-shoe
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,515ß
    Realistically - most 1st rd draft picks don't usually have a great impact on overall team play . Sometimes yes , most times no ( which is why I don't get too excited really ) .

I think w the FA's we've added though + the new actual NFL caliber coaches , 8-8 is likely and 10-6 is possible w a little luck .