How the Chicago Bears Can Finally Conquer Green Bay

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BSBEARS, Jul 15, 2014.

1. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +738 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    705ß
    How the Chicago Bears Can Finally Conquer Green Bay

by Erik Lambert 3h ago

The Green Bay Packers own the NFC North as of last season. What must the Chicago Bears do to overcome their longtime nemesis?
    Ride Matt Forte
    Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffery get all the attention these days for the Bears offense, but it doesn’t change the fact that everything begins and ends with running back Matt Forte. The Green Bay Packers know that better than most teams. In two games last year the Pro Bowl running back posted 235 rushing yards, 101 receiving yards and four touchdowns. He is the catalyst of the offense and he plays his best against the Packers.
    Trust Marc Trestman to his work with Jay Cutler
    Chicago Bears fans only wish that were true for quarterback Jay Cutler, who has endured an ugly 1-9 record against Green Bay since joining the team in 2009. Not all of it is his fault, but there is no doubt his inability to even modestly effective against the Packers is a primary reason so many people still doubt him. However, last season offered signs of a breakthrough when Cutler posted 226 yards and two touchdowns in the regular season finale, good for a 103.8 QB rating, easily his best against the Packers as a Bear. It was a clear sign that the work head coach Marc Trestman put in on him is having an effect. Could more time yield further results?
    Get to halftime with the lead
    Since 2009, Chicago is a dismal 2-9 against the Packers. Such streaks typically reveal trends in the chaos and there certainly is a big one. Out of those nine losses, the Bears trailed at halftime in eight of them. It’s a fairly simple stat that sends a clear message. Green Bay is exceptional at protecting a lead in the second half. If the Bears want to overcome this hurdle they keep stumbling on, then they have to start taking advantage of opportunities earlier in ball games and getting into the locker room ahead. In fact Jay Cutler’s sole victory over them in 2010 was a game where the Bears were up 17-10 at the break. It’s a very simple but difficult feat to accomplish.
    Attack Aaron Rodgers
    More than ever the success of the Green Bay Packers goes through Aaron Rodgers. People will talk about running back Eddie Lacy but the fact is without Rodgers starting and finishing a game the Packers were 2-5-1. When he is neutralized or at least contained, Green Bay struggles to function. That is why the Chicago Bears need their pass rush to wake up in 2014. Jared Allen and his new teammates up front have to generate pressure consistently, even if they don’t sack Rodgers. If he’s allow to survey the field, like any elite quarterback he will make the play. Yet also like any quarterback, constantly getting hit and having hands in his face will disrupt everything he does.
    The Bears won’t earn any respect until they prove they can beat the Packers when it counts. To do that will take supreme effort and keen understanding of their situation.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +738 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    705ß
    Thats what I am talking about. I expect to see this mentality against us to this year so we need some good backups on the Oline. We look ok for now but be nice next year to find another K Long type.
  3. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,853 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,559ß
    I say we just have Rodgers shot :duals:and Lacey "knee capped" :injured:and ya' know, claim we know nothing about it.

I agree with his approach though and have always said if we can contain Rodgers in the pocket and get strong inside push to get in his face it takes away both his ability to escape laterally and his ability to step into his throws then he becomes as mortal as any other passer.

The Packers line isn't that astounding but Rodgers receivers are good at getting into their routes quickly and he's good at getting the ball out quickly so it's very tough to sack him but anyone who can take away his ability to bail out and make plays outside the pocket takes way a huge weapon.

The bottom line is that come hell or high water the Packers are who we have to beat. It's that simple.
  4. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +738 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    705ß
    I suspect this was the game plan going into the offseason. Emery clearly wanted some pass rushers and walked away with Allen, Houston, and Willie Young. Moved McC to LB were he can blitz from and picked up a 3-Tech who had something like 18 sacks his junior year in college in Sutton.

Throw in some various blitz packages and I see Rodgers looking like Cutler did the first 4 or 5 years in the Bears Uniform. I predict Rodgers will spend a good portion of his time running for his life and making some bad decisions which hopefully lead to some picks. Be interesting to see how GB coach McCarthy will respond, run Lacey or short screens, one benefit Rodgers will have that Culter did not have is his coach understands how to call plays to assist the QB when under pressure, we had Martz calling for a 7 step drop. Wow, how foolish we looked.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +733 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    77ß
    It's really quite simple; play football better than them.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  6. JJ-30

JJ-30 Veteran

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    37ß
    I got the best plan score more points then they do, and we will win every time.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,135 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    484ß
    Allen previously had his best games against the Pack. I like the way things have been transpiring, but until we beat them it doesn't really mean so much.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,853 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,559ß

Beat me to it. LOL The simplest approach always works best although if we can hold them to zero it gets even easier. :smilebig:
  9. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,375 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    778ß
    I'm really looking forward to our next game against the Pack (more so than in recent years) because it probably will be THE game that shows us what we can expect this season. It's going to be our 4th game of the season, so the new players on defense should be settled in and playing as well as they are going to play this year. It's a home game too. This should be the early "showcase game" for our 2014 team - and we'll know by the end of that game if we have the power to unseat GB as division champs this year. And no more excuses this year. We either beat them, or we're just another mediocre Bears team again in 2014.

I just have a gut feeling that this could also be a "statement game" if the team is as improved as we hope. It's been a long time since we put a beat-down on the Packers. I'd sure like to see it come in this game. Not just a win. But an old fashioned beat-down win, making a statement that WE are now the big dogs in the division and GB can begin looking up at OUR backside as we move past them. Green Bay will still be one of the better teams in the NFL, so if we can manhandle them this year, in that game, then we should have a deep playoff run this year. I'm tired of always hoping for "next year" to be "our year" - it does get old after awhile. I want THIS year to be our year. That road goes through Green Bay. If we want to be the best, then we have to beat the best - and in our division that's Green Bay. Hope we put a boot on their throat and crush them in that first (and second game for that matter).
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 6
  10. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,977 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    990ß
    gotta have a better deaper team then them; and a HC that know how to develop a solid plan A, B and C for how the game unfolds and a QB that understands he cannot give Rogers multiple shots via turn overs.

Do that and you'll beat them 80% of the time.
  11. RochBear

RochBear Rookie

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß
    Beyond the joke, there is something to this. As Soul indicates, as long as Rodgers is healthy the Packers will score. The Bears offense needs to score and score and score. It is refreshing that that is now plausible.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,977 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    990ß
    It is, but it's also why Trestman has to pound into Cutty's head that he HAS to be safer w/the ball b/c giving extra chances to Rogers is suicide.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,375 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    778ß
    +1000

The D has to at least slow down Rodgers a bit. Even if it's just a bit. And we won't beat the Packers giving them turnovers. That's suicide.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    343ß
    If we had anything of a D in the last game against GB even half ass defense last year the game is won by the Bears. We get rid of most of the D line with 2 of them going to divisional opponents. SWEET!! And we steal 2 from divisional opponents so I will be shocked and pissed if we lose to any divisional rivals this year.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,214 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    255ß
    I couldn't agree more. The same could be said when playing any team with a top flight QB and offense. The rules favoring O now make it very difficult to overcome "extra chances" given to the opposition. If there's 2 things I hope to see from Jay in his 2nd season under Trestman, it's staying healthy (starting 15 games min) and cutting down on TOs. Gaudy yardage numbers are nice but I'll take those two over throwing for 5k.
    • Like Like x 3
  16. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,853 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,559ß
    Sorry to bring up the past in this way but I still think it's valid. Lovie used to break the season down into 4 game units so let's go with that for now. Here's the first four games

Buffalo-Home
    SF-Road
    NYJ-Road
    Packers-Home.

None of the first three are easy games, even the Bills, and the two road games are night games which we tend to misplay often. Assuming we can win the home opener, and we should, and win one of the two night games, the Jets game being the more likely of the two, then the GB game sets us up to be either 3-1 or 2-2 in that first quarter of a season.

IMHO there's a huge psychological advantage to be had from coming out of those four games 3-1 especially when the third win comes against your main division rival and happens in front of 60,000 plus crazed Bears fans. That would be a hell of a nice confidence booster going into the next four.

Three of those four are one the road and two of those road games come against Carolina and NE neither of which will be easy to beat at home but it's doable and again winning one of those two sets us up to be 3-1 through the second quarter of a season. Winning just one game out of the two toughest in each of these four game sets would be the difference between a 6-2 record at bye week and 4-4. I'd say 6-2 has us atop the NFCN and 4-4 just buried in the middle with lots of question still to be answered and the need to do far better in the second half of the season.

So that Packer game is an extremely important one for a number of reasons and throughout camp and the preseason they need to be constantly focusing on winning that particular game to finish out the first four. Do it and the doubt will begin to recede. Don't do it and they make the rest of the season really hard for themselves.
  17. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +738 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    705ß
    Just let McC get another shot on Rodgers and take him out for the year and we will be fine. Who would thunk it. Shea McC the Rodgers killer.
  18. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,853 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,559ß

We're pretty good at taking out current and former Packer QBs aren't we? And just think. This year we have Allen and McClellin to turn loose on him plus their supporting cast. Gotta put a clock on the guy and make him stay in the pocket or he'll kill us.
  19. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +738 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    705ß
    I think its the curse of McMahon. (shhhhh, starting a billy goat rumor here). Ever sense Martin slammed him to the ground and hurt his shoulder McM cursed the Packers future QB's. allowing for the like of McC to cause injury. LOL
  20. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,375 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    778ß
    I want Green Bay to be 100% healthy when we meet them, and Rodgers to be a healthy QB all season long & we STILL win the Division. I want to see us beat them - and be the better team - even when they have a team that is at 100% full strength. Otherwise, it feels like a "cheap win" instead of the situation where we're just the better team hands down.

Yes, "a win is a win" and we shouldn't quibble. But it would be even better to beat them when they are at their best. Then we'll know we are truly a great team. To be the best you have to beat the best. For Green Bay to be the best they need Rodgers. Let's beat them with Rodgers healthy.