How's the defense shaping up and where to next?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BearDownUnder, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +414 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    23ß
    Ding ding ding...winner

The 3 Tech is the most important need by a longshot. In our scheme the 3 tech is one if not thee most important position. A stud that can play 3 for now and in the future should be had at 14, we will prolly get our pick of all of them. No different than last year on the offensive side we can get all "oooo'd and ahhhh'd" by "skill positions" but if we are getting our ass kicked up front the rest dosent matter.
  2. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +276 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Everyone wants to bring up the mighty Seahawks and how their. D won them a championship around here, we'll guess what, their front had exactly zero first round picks among them while their first round S, Earl Thomas, was a strong DPOY candidate who set the entire tempo for that unit. I'm not saying you can't find pace setter safeties in later rounds, but I am saying it's easier to create a solid front outside of the first.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +414 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    23ß

That was the same argument against taking a guard in round one last year. "You can get good guards later so let's take someone else and hold off on a guard"

Well we took a guard in the first. People whined and bitched. And we got a rookie pro bowler. People shut up.

Yes, you can get quality anywhere in the draft at any position. Fact is it's easier to find IMMEDIATE IMPACT PLAYERS in the first. And for our d to work we need just that at the 3 tech.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. lklrlolnlilklsox

Ratings:
    +276 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    In my opinion, we just signed that player yesterday. His versatility for the crappy raiders is impressive and desirable, but Lamar should be playing UT full time.
  5. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +414 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    23ß

I've thought of that but feel like he was paid to be our de. If he was playing 3 then I would think we would have signed another de by now after letting pep go.
  6. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +990 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    22ß
    If so, there's Melton's replacement (he's good as gone anyway) and the interior is set. Then we would just need TWO DEs. Simple.
  7. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,459 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    246ß
    Just get the best player on the board. IMO, and many others if Dix or Pryor are there then you have to take them b/c they are better players then Donald or Jernigan. If you get the best player then chances are you are getting a guy that is going to be much better then the next guy available in round 2 or 3 then if you reach for a speicific position.

Your example, Long vs Warford very close in play compare that to Ogletree to Bostic, if the team had gone Oglretree/Warford the team right now is FAR better off then going Long/Bostic, b/c Ogletree is FAR better at LB and Warford is equal to SLIGHTLY less at G.

Bring that to this year. Dix/Pryor are FAR greater then anyone in the 2nd, Langston/Boston and Donald/Jernigan are far closer to the guys like Johnson/Ferguson.
  8. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +414 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    23ß
    I couldn't disagree more that we would have been better off with Olgetree/Warford.

Warford played nowhere near a pro bowl level like Long did, nor does he have near the potential Long has. Bostic was a noting special player on a god awful defense. I frankly do not think that Olgetree could have done anything better consistently with our entire DL getting blown into his lap, and no other LB really providing much alley support.

But thats hardly the matter at hand.

To your other point I completely agree. None of us are scouts and if Dix/Pryor grade out that much higher overall than Jernigan/Donald then I have no problem taking one of them first. Now if its a toss up and we really think a player at either position can have a day one impact, then I would prefer shoring up our DL first as a sustained pass rush and consistent run stuffing will aide whoever our safeties are.

If there is a way to land an impact player and a serviceable guy at safety and DT, then I don't care who what where when or why we take guys, just ID and land those players.
  9. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +990 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    22ß
    Grizz, people forget that Long was drafted to eventually be a TACKLE. Don't kid yourself about him being a "guard".
  10. dabears

dabears Rookie

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Anyone think both Conte and Shea could be candidates to be cut after this year?
  11. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +414 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    23ß
    Shea's contract will be up, so if he shows no promise as our sam (I have a feeling he will be force fed to us as a starter) then let him walk, let him try to salvage his career with a 3-4 team.

If Conte doesnt improve, yes.
  12. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +414 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    23ß

No reason whatsoever to move a pro bowl guard to tackle. That would be as foolish as to take a rookie pro bowl corner and move him to CB.
  13. lklrlolnlilklsox

Ratings:
    +276 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Eh?
  14. lklrlolnlilklsox

Ratings:
    +276 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Oh absolutely, I just don't want to get fixated on DL and pass up an opportunity for an impact guy roving our backfield.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,459 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    246ß
    Warford was ranked HIGHER then Long all year, He was a top 10-20 rookie for his play all year, there is 0 chance that Long clearly outplayed him. As for the idea that Long will eventually be a T, our OC likes his G's to be the key players in his OL, not the T's, so I'm not NEAR as convinced about his move to T as most assume. Long made the pro bowl b/c of the turn around of the Chicago O, not b/c of his play; and b/c other people backed out of the PB.

Olgetree, while he wouldn't have played as well, would have still be a VAST upgrade over Bostic who didn't know where he was supposed to be. It wasn't that the O was on top of him before he knew what was happening it was that he had NO CLUE where he was supposed to be, and that's b/c he's not a MLB, he's at best a WILL. Olgetree is a legit MLB, and there is no question that he would have been better then Bositc, even on this garbage D.

Sox, you need impact guys at every level, and I just don't believe you can get the level of impact at S in the mid rounds like you can DE/DT. None of the safeties in rounds 2-4 when I read about them have near the ceilings of a guy like Dix or Pryor but when you read on the DE's and DT's, why the ones in the mid rounds don't have the polish, their ceilings are much closer to the Donald/Jernigans of the world.
  16. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +190 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Spot on Grizz !
    After reading all the "Sky Is Falling" rants on this board I am reminded of last year when many of those very same posters railed on Emery for getting Bushrod, Bennett etc. then drafting Long in the first.
    Well .......... Just how did that work out ? It's amazing that as posters we do not learn from history and as a result, repeat the same thing every off season.
    I call it the "Angler Syndrome" and we need to remember that Emery is NOT the "Angler" thank God !
    Just sayin'.
    ;)
  17. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +990 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    22ß
    Not saying that he's imminently to be moved. Just saying he has the frame and high-end athleticism for T which tends to be a position that's harder/more expensive to fill. So if he continues to develop and play at a high level it wouldn't surprise me for him to eventually get a look at T.
  18. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +190 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Most tackles start out as guards anyway so if they find another player they believe can be a really good guard and Long develops into the player they believe he can be I can see him going to tackle. JMHO though.
  19. Akuma2000

Akuma2000 Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +146 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    11ß
    updated (hypothetically that is..lol)....

DE: Houston, Young, Scott, Bass, Washington, Lane
    DT: Ratliff, Paea, Collins

SAM: McLellin
    Mike: Williams, Bostic
    Will: Briggs, Greene

CB: Jennings, ???
    NB: Frey, Hayden
    SS: Jennings
    FS: Mundy, Conte
  20. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +414 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    23ß
    pretty simply put we need:

3tech
    CB2
    SS
    FS

As of now our defense will still be doing a lot of hoping

We can hope that Paea or Collins can step up huge at 3 tech
    We can hope that Frey stays on his overachieving pace and can step up to play CB2
    we can hope that improved front 4 play will help Conte look not so horrible
    We can hope that we get CD or Pryor AND they come in and play above the level of a rookie

Somewhere, we will have to decide what scenarios listed above are most likely to happen, and address the others. Maybe we get extremely lucky and find 2 defensive starters via the draft but that just isn't very likely and extremely hard to do. We also have to hope that Tucker isn't as horrible of a DC as he looked to be last year, or none of this will matter.