How's the defense shaping up and where to next?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BearDownUnder, Mar 11, 2014.

1. BearDownUnder

BearDownUnder Veteran

Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I'm pretty confident the team will sign a projected starter at CB. Whether it's Tillman or someone cheaper and younger (more likely). And I'm pretty confident they sign another DT although it wouldn't surprise me if it's a more stout and less explosive player than the start 3T we would like. Not sure what kind of upgrade Emery is planning at safety, it might just be we head in to the year with 3 guys who aren't very good and draftees and do that hoping. Competition for spots and improvement up front will help them at least a little.

Certainly agree on Tucker. Going younger with less established stars is the right thing to do to build a sustained successful unit. But it's also doubling down that the quality of coaching and scheme is good. Hence the experienced DL and LB coach to help develop young players the right way I think.

At this stage it seems our best DL will be Houston, our best LB will be an ageing Briggs or Williams and our best DB will be Jennings. That might be what scares me and a lot of other people. But if we have consistent starters at every position including some talented rookies in the rotation we can still be a decent defense and we will be set up to improve every year.
  2. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    10ß
    Well...couple of things. Collins, before the injury was playing better than Melton, however like you said we have to hope he comes back from the injury. There is still a lot of free agency left and guys will be cut and so on and so forth. There are still corners out on the market...including Tillman. Conte the year before last played pretty good. I don't know...let's let some more time go by before we analyze what our situation is going to be like.
  3. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    10ß
    Still some interesting names out there...Robert Ayers, Pat Sims, Usama Young, Walter Thurmon, Rodgers-Cromartie, Tarrell Brown, Danny McCray, Vance Walker. Wouldn't mind bringing some of these guys aboard.
  4. BearDownUnder

BearDownUnder Veteran

Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    DE: Houston, Young, Scott, Bass, Washington, Lane
    DT: Ratliff, Paea, Collins

SAM: McLellin
    Mike: Williams, Bostic
    Will: Briggs, Greene

CB: Tillman, Jennings
    NB: Frey, Hayden
    SS: Jennings
    FS: Mundy, Conte

It's starting to look pretty reasonable now. I don't know exactly how pressed we are on the cap but maybe room for one more decent money spend in the 3-5 mil range probably at DT and then pick up some depth and special teams types along with the draft.

It's pretty much last years defense especially at DT, LB and DB but they are healthy and there is set to be some competition. Plus of course their is the draft of which we can prioritize defense. The new DE's have been the two biggest signings and whilst they might not be all pro level players they should be an upgrade on McLellin and an inconsistent Peppers. If we can perform with this group of players plus rookies then next year we get Peppers dead money coming off the cap and can spend again.
  5. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +158 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    64ß
    We couldbe one DT away ...
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Akuma2000

Akuma2000 Veteran

Ratings:
    +144 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I think so too...............If we can get 2 or 3 big DT in the draft, not only will we have the interior of the d-line plugged up which will force opposing rb and qb to run to the outside where Young and Houston will have a field day getting to them but we'll also have big guys for depth in the 2nd string so the high level of play won't drop off on the interior of the d-line like we saw this past year.
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  7. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +158 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    64ß

Three DT's is out of the question ... but two ... This is Emery's game now , he cant fall back and say it was Lovie anymore.

This is Emery's draft pure and simple. The first time he gets to be a player with the NFL.
  8. TarheelBear

TarheelBear Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    This is hopefully a big home draft for emery, he swings and misses on this one bears fan gonna grab there pitchfork and torches. Should be interesting, draft day can't come fast enough.
  9. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +414 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    19ß
    Yeah the addition of a 3tech (hopefully Donald) will be huge for our defense. I think some fans will have to get over the fact that Conte will start this year at FS because he is currently better than MDJ and Munde. We may also upgrade SS via draft but it is very unlikely we land a 3tech, SS and FS. Either way, a solidified front four combined with a healthy and more expirenced LB corp will make the DBs look much better. A complete fix for the defense is not a 1 year project barring Emery hitting a few home runs in the draft similar to Long and Mills. We were not able to make as many pick ups as we did for the offense last year (think Bennett, Bushrod, Slausen) all in FA and we also had Jeffery with a huge sophomore year. Add 2 rookie starters and that is why the offense did a 180. We didn't land the same quality FA for our defense as we did last year so I am okay with the D being a 2 year project.