How's the defense shaping up and where to next?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BearDownUnder, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    512ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    Shea's contract will be up, so if he shows no promise as our sam (I have a feeling he will be force fed to us as a starter) then let him walk, let him try to salvage his career with a 3-4 team.

If Conte doesnt improve, yes.

2. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    512ß

No reason whatsoever to move a pro bowl guard to tackle. That would be as foolish as to take a rookie pro bowl corner and move him to CB.

3. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

ßearz ßuckz:
    252ß
    Eh?

4. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

ßearz ßuckz:
    252ß
    Oh absolutely, I just don't want to get fixated on DL and pass up an opportunity for an impact guy roving our backfield.

• Like Like x 2
  5. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,770ß
    Warford was ranked HIGHER then Long all year, He was a top 10-20 rookie for his play all year, there is 0 chance that Long clearly outplayed him. As for the idea that Long will eventually be a T, our OC likes his G's to be the key players in his OL, not the T's, so I'm not NEAR as convinced about his move to T as most assume. Long made the pro bowl b/c of the turn around of the Chicago O, not b/c of his play; and b/c other people backed out of the PB.

Olgetree, while he wouldn't have played as well, would have still be a VAST upgrade over Bostic who didn't know where he was supposed to be. It wasn't that the O was on top of him before he knew what was happening it was that he had NO CLUE where he was supposed to be, and that's b/c he's not a MLB, he's at best a WILL. Olgetree is a legit MLB, and there is no question that he would have been better then Bositc, even on this garbage D.

Sox, you need impact guys at every level, and I just don't believe you can get the level of impact at S in the mid rounds like you can DE/DT. None of the safeties in rounds 2-4 when I read about them have near the ceilings of a guy like Dix or Pryor but when you read on the DE's and DT's, why the ones in the mid rounds don't have the polish, their ceilings are much closer to the Donald/Jernigans of the world.

6. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    50ß
    Spot on Grizz !
    After reading all the "Sky Is Falling" rants on this board I am reminded of last year when many of those very same posters railed on Emery for getting Bushrod, Bennett etc. then drafting Long in the first.
    Well .......... Just how did that work out ? It's amazing that as posters we do not learn from history and as a result, repeat the same thing every off season.
    I call it the "Angler Syndrome" and we need to remember that Emery is NOT the "Angler" thank God !
    Just sayin'.
    ;)

7. MPbears68

MPbears68 Hall of Famer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,289ß
    Not saying that he's imminently to be moved. Just saying he has the frame and high-end athleticism for T which tends to be a position that's harder/more expensive to fill. So if he continues to develop and play at a high level it wouldn't surprise me for him to eventually get a look at T.

8. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    50ß
    Most tackles start out as guards anyway so if they find another player they believe can be a really good guard and Long develops into the player they believe he can be I can see him going to tackle. JMHO though.

9. Akuma2000

Akuma2000 Veteran
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    75ß
    updated (hypothetically that is..lol)....

DE: Houston, Young, Scott, Bass, Washington, Lane
    DT: Ratliff, Paea, Collins

SAM: McLellin
    Mike: Williams, Bostic
    Will: Briggs, Greene

CB: Jennings, ???
    NB: Frey, Hayden
    SS: Jennings
    FS: Mundy, Conte

10. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    512ß
    pretty simply put we need:

3tech
    CB2
    SS
    FS

As of now our defense will still be doing a lot of hoping

We can hope that Paea or Collins can step up huge at 3 tech
    We can hope that Frey stays on his overachieving pace and can step up to play CB2
    we can hope that improved front 4 play will help Conte look not so horrible
    We can hope that we get CD or Pryor AND they come in and play above the level of a rookie

Somewhere, we will have to decide what scenarios listed above are most likely to happen, and address the others. Maybe we get extremely lucky and find 2 defensive starters via the draft but that just isn't very likely and extremely hard to do. We also have to hope that Tucker isn't as horrible of a DC as he looked to be last year, or none of this will matter.