Hub Arkush: Bears touch all the right bases

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, May 11, 2014.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,408 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,589ß
    Hub Arkush: Bears touch all the right bases

By HUB ARKUSH - harkush@chicagofootball.com - Saturday, May 10, 2014 7:24 p.m. CDT
    Those of us who’ve been doing this for a while tend to spend hours at the end of each draft figuring out new ways to cop out on putting a grade or an opinion to just how well a team did with its picks.
    And we should.
    But analyzing a draft without giving the players selected at least two years to show what kind of players they are makes no sense.
    There’s something that Bears general manager Phil Emery said toward the end of Night Two of this draft that struck a chord with me: “Every player in the draft needs to get better at something.”
    You all want to know just how good these kids the Bears drafted are.
    What really matters is: How good can they be, and how many of them will reach their full potential?
    I think I can give you an idea of how good most of the Bears' picks can be, but we’ll have to check back in a couple of years to see how good they each become.

Kyle Fuller has the ability to be a No. 1 cover corner in the NFL, and the more man-to-man coverage he’s allowed to play, the better he’ll be. Fuller’s strength is he attacks a lot better than he reacts, so you don’t want to ask him to sit back and read and react.
    He is also physical enough to be outstanding forcing the run, and even though the Bears are saying no right now, he could have some success at safety if they change their minds.
    Honestly, I liked C.J. Mosley better at 14, but that’s because of how much I like Mosley and in no way a criticism of Fuller. Both players belonged in the top 10 to 15 picks.

Ego Ferguson was reasonable value where the Bears took him in the second round, and I think Will Sutton will prove to be a steal in the third round.
    The truth is I just don’t have as much information on Ferguson, but the scouts I respect tell me he has the potential to justify the pick.

Sutton I targeted months ago as somebody I really hoped the Bears would get – specifically for the three-technique – and I think he’ll remind you more of Tommie Harris in his prime than Henry Melton.

Running back Ka'Deem Carey troubles me. In spite of his great production in college, this pick resembles the Evan Rodriguez fourth-round pick, but he’s actually not the athlete Rodriguez was, and that’s out of character for Emery. The 4.7 40-yard dash at the Combine is the reality, not a fluke.

What I like about safety Brock Vereen is that Emery identified the need and the opportunity to trade up and get him, and moved aggressively to come back into the fourth round without overpaying. He’s not special, but he’s more than capable of fitting with and beating out the other safeties the Bears have now. It’s easy to envision him becoming a starter.
    David Fales is strictly a developmental project at quarterback, and it’s hard to get excited about him after Emery told us two weeks ago those picks almost never work out. Minimally, he might consider changing his last name.

I am comfortable in predicting that Patrick O’Donnell will be the Bears' punter into the next decade – great value for a sixth-round pick.
    All I can tell you about offensive tackle Charles Leno Jr. is I talked to two teams who said they considered him in the fifth and sixth rounds before addressing other needs, and the Bears got him in the seventh. And I'm fairly sure he's not related to Jay.

I suspect this draft has left some of you a bit flat because it lacks the home run hitters you can really only find at the offensive skill positions or with a big-time pass rusher.
    But those spots are already filled on the Bears, and this draft for Emery was about looking for stars in the supporting roles.
    He’s found some interesting and capable players to audition.
    • Hub Arkush covers the Bears for Shaw Media and ChicagoFootball.com. Write to him at harkush@chicagofootball.com
    Last edited: May 11, 2014
  2. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +837 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    895ß
    Hub likes Sutton as a steal also. Good read.
  3. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,408 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,589ß
  4. BearDownUnder

BearDownUnder Veteran

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    35ß
    The point of this story and the bears draft is all at the end.

Of course for the first round picks it's about getting a game changer. And the defensive tackles are brought in not just to be ok but to be really good at their high ceiling.

But the crux is it was a draft to find valuable pieces. It's not a flashy draft to get the star QB just to bench him, or the 3rd WR who doesn't get any targets, or even the high ranked TE who might never be up to it. It was a draft to find some valuable talented football players and to keep building the roster. And that's the point of drafts and really the GM's job. Sure he has to work on the team and the starters but the first step is always to get a balanced quality roster full of players who can improve.

It's over to Trestman now.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. strockrocks

strockrocks Veteran

Ratings:
    +218 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    27ß
    Watch when it's all said and done.... Shea ends up being above average at his new position and/or Fendi can catch a ball.

Wouldn't THAT just be an added bonus!!!
    • Like Like x 1
  6. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,241 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    171ß

Shea maybe but don't hold your breath on Cinnabon.
  7. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +406 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    If Shea can be a competent starter at any of the LB positions is almost like another draft pick. I really hope he can play his way into the starting role and excel. He's got the determination and work ethic, hope it works out for him and us.

Would love if Fendi could learn how to catch but it seems like that's one of the hardest things to fix.. we'll see. He has the physical tools. Just hold onto the damn ball.
  8. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,408 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,589ß
    Unfortuneately the team is pretty high on Fendi, I hope he works out, sadly I have more faith in Shea then I do Fendi. The skills are there, I still think it's all in his head, I don't think he likes the idea of getthing hit, let alone hit hard.