Huge challenge for our OL Sunday. How will they do?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Sep 6, 2013.

?

How well with this OL perform against a stellar "D" like this?

1. Cutler will take a brutal physical beating all day. Forte is probably screwed too.

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  2. It will be butt-ugly, but the OL will make enough plays for the Bears to win.

4 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. The OL will make plenty of mistakes, but it won't be a disaster.

20 vote(s)
    66.7%
  4. The OL will do just fine. No sacks today. Forte will have an average game.

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. The OL will dominate. Cutler rips and guts the Bengals all day, and Forte has a career game.

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 SuperFan

The Bengals defense is rated anywhere from #2 and #4 in the NFL this year. They will present the Bears offensive line with perhaps their greatest test of the 2013 season. This will be a "baptism by fire" for our brand new offensive line, with 4 of the 5 players new to the Bears - and two are green rookies starting on the right side. Long has only played football for a limited time at any level, having been a baseball player most of his college career.

How well with this OL perform against a stellar "D" like this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. JustAnotherBearsFan99

This is a "D" that is capable of taking Jay Cutler out for the season if he isn't protected by our Oline.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  3. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters

The OL will be fine on Sunday.

Trestman's system will set them up to be successful.

I'm not sold on the Bengals and all of the talking heads heaping love all over them are going to look foolish come Sunday.

Mark it down.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

I wish we could have faced a weaker defense in the first game of the season. But on a positive note, an extreme test like this, will be great if the OL can hold up Sunday. I believe that if we can block well against THIS team, then we're fine with the other solid "D's" well face this year.

We'll get to see two top defenses perform Sunday. I could see BOTH of these teams having top-5 defenses this year. I think the Bears defense will be every bit as solid as last season. The Bengals had an awesome defense last year too, and should be even better this year.

I hope we win, and also stay healthy. No key injuries, especially to Jay Cutler.
    • Like Like x 3
  5. dachuckster

dachuckster SuperFan

I'm hoping that we use the athleticism of the 2 rooks and we run at Geno Atkins when we have the chance. From what I saw of Long in the PS, he is explosive on run blocks.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears

I believe this best time to see a defense like this. Marc T you know he has been gaming planing for this game for weeks. So he has gone over every scenario O wise they could face. This's going to show everyone where the Bears are at right out of the gates.

My prediction is after this game people will be saying maybe this game was a fluke by the Bears and they just got lucky because of new coach. This's different team from top to bottom and people just can't see it or want to believe it so we all have to wait to Sunday. Like Phil Collins song goes "I can feel it coming in the air tonight hold on hold on."
    • Like Like x 1
  7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Atkins and Suh are arguably the most feared DT's in the entire NFL. Atkins had some praise for Long yesterday (LINK), but I figure that is probably just him being "nice" for the media. Kromer isn't stupid. He'll max-protect Cutler if the OL struggles Sunday. We don't need to start our season with a Cutler injury.
  8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

If ever there was a game where Jay Cutler needs to get rid of the ball quickly - this is that game.

The OL will get better and better all season long. At least that's what I expect. The green rookies will certainly get better with "real" game experience. But in this initial game, I really don't think it's realistic to believe either rookie will perform at their best. That's not a poor reflection against them. Just being realistic. Atkins makes even the best OL guys look pretty bad. That's why he is a feared DT and a Pro Bowl guy every year. He can be a vicious physical player who also has freakish quickness/speed.

If the youngsters struggle at all, expect Kromer to max-protect Cutler. Jay is the only piece on the team that we can't win without. If he gets a serious injury, our season ends right there.
  9. WearyBear

WearyBear

One thing is for sure, the rookies will get an education right out of the starting blocks. This will put their heads right into reality.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. draw2anderson35

draw2anderson35

I agree with ya JABF99. A lot hinges on Cutty... he needs to make quick reads and decisions while in the pocket and if he does scramble a bit learn that throwing it out of bounds is not a bad choice.

Geno is going to be moved around the entire game until a weak spot is found and they will be rushing Harrison & Co. quite a bit. I'm sure this will be a game where a TE, FB and/or RB will be used often for pass protection.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. SERE Bear

SERE Bear

In my mind this is a 4 sack day for Jay. I think he will be able to be effective and move the ball but these sacks will come. Even Peyton was sacked 3 times last night.
  12. Henry Burris

Henry Burris

Our rookies, which make 2/5ths of the offensive line haven't even played GOOD talent in VANILLA games. What makes me optimistic, is that Long will likely be up against Geno Smith, and preseason or not, he's shown he's NOT going to get thrown around like a rag doll.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. JustAnotherBearsFan99

And on a positive note, the rookies will learn a TON from a game like this.

Jay can help the OL out buy being smart with the ball. I'm hoping he respects Trestman and gets that ball out of his hands quickly. If Jay is hard-headed, and just does the same crap he did with Lovie/Tice, and hangs onto the ball too long - then bad things will happen. We've seen this one before. Jay gets physically beaten, or worse, injured - and turns the ball over - if he doesn't wise up and get that ball out of his hands FAST on Sunday. You can bet Marc Trestman has preached this all pre-season to Jay. Let's see if Jay listens.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. SERE Bear

SERE Bear

I agree that Long could handle the bull rush from Geno Smith however Geno Atkins is a whole different animal. haha j/k
    I agree with you though I dont expect to see Long over powered by a bull rush but I do expect Geno Atkins to get by him at times with a rip.
  15. Strangerwithcandy11

Strangerwithcandy11

The Bengals Dline is for real. Their secondary on the other hand can be had. I can't wait to see Long vs Atkins. Huge test early for everyone. IF we stay committed to the run early and throw short passes that should slow their rush down and give Cutler time to take advantage of that secondary later in the game.

On offense the Bengals boast a top flight WR and their TEs are big and fast. That is my main concern. I wanna see how Bostic handles a pass catching TE in coverage. Should be a great/close game
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Akuma2000

Akuma2000

Agreed.........I think the Bengals defense is being a little overhyped right now, don't get me wrong not saying they're gonna suck but our O-line isn't gonna be as bad as many people are making it out to be.

I'm confident trestman will adjust the play calling to slow the bengals pass rush down and work the run game to open the pass game.
  17. Henry Burris

Henry Burris

No, Geno Smith demanded to be traded to the Bengals so he could play D-line, lol.

But seriously, a bull rush isn't going to work on Long the way it did on Chris Williams, but confusing fronts and stunts might just do the trick.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. JustAnotherBearsFan99

That's a great point. Long has a VERY limited football background at any level. He has FANTASTIC raw talent. But this isn't a baseball game in college. This is the NFL. And he will have a lot of new stuff thrown at him Sunday that he has never seen before - ever.

I think some fans think the new OL will be great right away, and may be overly optimistic. This is the NFL, and you don't necessarily throw a college baseball player, another rookie, two new players to the team - with the mighty Roberto Garza - into the mix, and get a great offensive line, game-1 against a great defense.

I wish it was that easy. But it isn't. We should be a bit realistic here. I'd happily take an "average" game from the OL Sunday, and if Cutler cooperates, that may be possible. Expectations beyond that, for this 1st game, are probably overly optimistic IMHO.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears

I agree mistakes will be made by the rooks. BUT these mistakes can be minimized by good play calling which I believe will keep the pussy cats at bay. I feel very very confident we will have best play calling from Bears we have ever seen. I never had that confidence in all my years of watching Bear football knowing they would be the most creative on the play calling O side of the ball. Good play calling can hide flaws ask Peyton Manning.
    • Like Like x 2
  20. dachuckster

dachuckster SuperFan

I hope you are right.

I would like to see a game plan that assumes the Bengals will try to overload, stunt/game and confuse the two rooks ... with a play selection that allows us to take advantage of it. That assumes that Cutler will progress through his options efficiently and get the ball off quickly.

But there is a lot of truth in what JABF99 says and I really worried that Long and/or Mills will get really schooled on Sunday.