Huge challenge for our OL Sunday. How will they do?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Sep 6, 2013.

?

How well with this OL perform against a stellar "D" like this?

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,341 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    734ß
    And I'm not saying we'll lose this game, or that the OL will wreak. Just that they may not look as great as pre-season. And they will learn from any mistakes they make. I'm "sold" on the rookies being solid acquisitions. I'm not dissing them here. Just saying there may be a learning curve, and Sunday could be one of the steepest climbs in that learning curve.
  2. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +317 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    150ß
    Like many of the folks here, I was concerned about Long as a 1st round pick. After watching his PS play, I believe he will become a blue chip player. But like you say, there will be a learning curve.

I don't think it will be a train wreck. But I have never been more apprehensive about a Bears opener. I just hope they can run effectively enough and can keep Cutler clean for most of the pass plays. If they do that, the Bears should win.
    • Like Like x 3
  3. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I too, think come November we will all think that Long was worth the 1st round pick and a lot of us including this author will be eating crow.

With that being said I do think their will be some teething issues but I don't think it won't be a disaster.
  4. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +676 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    791ß
    I agree 100%. This will be as much a test for Cutler as the OL. Run the ball, short, quick passes, move the chains, score 20 points. That's what I hope to see. Defense and turnovers will determine the winner.
    • Like Like x 3
  5. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +161 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    61ß
    What a classy guy. What good does it do belittling your opponent?

I agree there is plenty for the rookies to learn in this opener. I would be shocked if there wasn't a couple of sacks on Sundy, but it won't be a train wreck.
  6. Xa0sG0rilla

Xa0sG0rilla Veteran

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I think this game is gonna be ugly for the offense (O-Line doing pass protection in particular). However, I think the coaching will shift toward a bit more runs up the right, allowing the rookie O-Linemen to better attack the opposing D-line, possibly with increasing doses of Bush as the game progresses, with either Fiametta as additional power on the run, or maybe Forte + Bush backfield so that the D has more to worry about. I think the Bears get an ugly win that the rest of the NFL writes off as "lucky".
  7. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +376 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    90ß
    Conservative gameplan. Whoever thinks its a good idea to run at Geno Atkins is nuts. That's like someone in Cinncinnati saying the Bengals need to challenge Peppers and Melton. We need to stay the hell away from the guy. Hold him if necessary. Give the right side Bennett as much as possible. Let our defense give us good field position, and kick field goals. They don't have their LT, so let our D carry us Sunday.

For Jay's sake, quick passes and plenty of runs with a lead FB blocking. Tight end sets in the middle of the field. We don't need to set scoring records. Just get through the game without Cutler being hurt.
    • Like Like x 3
  8. ZifanQ

ZifanQ Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    38ß
    Hopefully it will be better than last year.
  9. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +161 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    61ß
    The is an interesting comment. We have not seen an agressive gameplan during the PS. I expect more short passes, and it will be interesting to see how Trestman handles a regular season game.

Jay needs to help himself here and not pull a Cutler. Look at all of the options and get rid of the ball quickly. Not hating on Jay, but he can help himself and the team.
  10. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,341 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    734ß
    If the OL can establish a running game, with Forte hurting them early and often, that will help tremendously. This OL has been decent run-blocking. Hope they can sustain that against a solid team like the Bengals. That will help Cutler in the passing game.

I liked that play formation against Oakland where Forte AND Bush lined up in the backfield and Forte caught the safe/quick pass for a TD. Hope to see stuff like that again Sunday.
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  11. dabears70

dabears70 Rookie

Ratings:
    +46 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    48ß
    I agree 100%

I think we should all expect growing pains, there's going to be a sack maybe 2, there's going to be a int maybe 2 but i really believe in everything Emery put together on the offensive side of the ball with Trestman,Kromer and the moves on the ol.

It's going to be key for Cutler to get the ball out quick and i'm expecting for growing pains there also.

I expect a bunch of slant routes and passes to Forte and hopefully in the end we'll get the win with some help from our defense.

I'm also expecting DJ Williams to start at mlb and i think it's a good choice cause he's a beast.
  12. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    So far the O-Line looks okay. But remember it is their first game.
  13. Xa0sG0rilla

Xa0sG0rilla Veteran

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Less ugly than I expected, but I still think that many will call this win "lucky".
  14. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +927 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    488ß
    I think I under estimated the talent of their DL...
  15. zelezo vlk

zelezo vlk Veteran

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    With tempered expectations between inexperience of our rooks and Cincinnati's talent, I'm pretty happy.
  16. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,945 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    956ß
    Should be pretty happy, the OL only gave up a few pressures to Cutler. Didn't open the holes as well as they could have for Forte/Bush but still did okay, that DL is nothing to sniff at, this should be a huge positive going into the rest of the season. This team will have to face another DL this talented all that often.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +317 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    150ß
    I thought Mills played it pretty smart in that action with Rey Maualuga at the end of the game. He easily could have gotten caught up in the heat of the play and gotten an offsetting PF.
    • Like Like x 3
  18. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,341 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    734ß
    No sacks given up against one of the better Dlines in the NFL. Pretty cool.
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Akuma2000

Akuma2000 Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    41ß
    Just got back from the game and the stadium was rocking, yes it was awesome to see Cutler not get sacked all game........kudos to the rookies Long and Mills for making the doubters and naysayers look like idiots, saying atkins and the other guy was gonna have a pass rushing frenzy on those two sacking cutler multiple times etc etc......no one is saying jack now.....lol

I know its only the first game of the season but its definitrely one hell of a confidence builder for the 2 rookies...
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
    • Like Like x 5
  20. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,341 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    734ß
    I went back and re-watched the 2nd half, focusing on the offensive line play. The pass-blocking was stellar. Even Garza looked solid. The run-blocking looked good on some plays, and mediocre on others. Long and Mills were amazing. They really looked solid.

I really didn't believe it was possible to gut our Oline and replace 4 players in one season (2 of them with rookies) and have them look this solid in their first game.

That "gelling" stuff Tice told us about, must have been bunch of crap. Kromer just threw together a bunch of new guys and they look solid to me. No pixie dust, smoke & mirrors & waiting for J'Marcus to wake up. Kromer just trots out guys who can block & it's all god.
    • Like Like x 2