Huge challenge for our OL Sunday. How will they do?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Sep 6, 2013.

?

How well with this OL perform against a stellar "D" like this?

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,760 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    746ß
    Hey give Cutler some credit, he finally stopped holding onto the ball until the last second when a WR was finally seen open. Cutler helped this OL out greatly. Dalton did the same thing for his OL, getting rid of the ball quickly basically neutralized any kind of pass rush.
  2. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,189 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    532ß
    Maybe he's respecting Trestman enough to "listen" and get that ball out quicker. Under Lovie's tenure we'd hear that Cutler had to do this - but he continued to just "do his own thing" and it really hurt us (sacks & ints).

I would be thrilled, if Cutler continues to get rid of the ball faster now. QB's just have to do this now. Even if you have a great offensive line, a QB still can't have forever before getting the ball out.
  3. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +589 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    194ß
    Tice's gel would have have worked just fine, but he didn't realise it's really an epoxy, not a gel. He had the resin, but not the hardener. Trestman¦Kromer mixed in the hardener and voila - instant set gel!
  4. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,135 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    168ß
    The OL was nothing short of superb given the situation (rookies playing 1st game, great opposing DL). This is a game a year ago we would have given up 6 sacks and scored only 10 points in.
    • Like Like x 5
  5. SERE Bear

SERE Bear Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I'm thrilled that I was wrong to expect 4 sacks tonight. This O line feels like a too good to be true email offer from a Nigerian Prince... But it isn't! My god, 0 sacks, wow!

Well done boys, well done indeed
    • Like Like x 2
  6. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,771 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,381ß
    The line did a great job pass blocking all game long. Atkins blew by Long early on and that was it. After that he held him in check. The kid is a beast. I can't wait to see him lined up across from Suh. I want to see him humble that dirty SOB all game long. Same with Mills. They got around him on the outside a couple of times but sweet Jeezus he's already so much better than Webb or Carimi all the way around that I'm left with the feeling that we've finally drafted a good OT.

The run blocking was there when it needed to be. There wasn't much anyone could do in that first half as far as running goes. The lineman were blocking but Cincy was bringing a Safety up nearly ever play. Forte and Bush both came close to breaking big runs but there was always one more tackler than there was a blocker. Great push by Slauson and Bushrod on the Forte TD. How long as it been since we've seen those guy win on pure power?

Gotta give the line an A for today's game. They did their jobs well against a very good defensive line.
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Akuma2000

Akuma2000 Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +161 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    33ß
    Yea, it really is a breath of fresh air to see a real o-line pass protect for Cutler to give him time in the pocket to find wr's down the field (the running game will pick up as the season goes along).

I think Kromer is a genius when it comes to preparing and getting the o-lineman ready for a game, we definitely would have lost this game if Lovie and Tice was still here because that means Webb would still be here and geno atkins would have used Webb as a turnstyle getting to Cutler constantly pressuring and sacking Cutler and of course people and the media would be saying "I told you so" blah blah.......thank god those days are over and i'm glad Emery/Trestman cleaned house from top to bottom and revamped the entire o-line.
  8. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,771 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,381ß
    All little off topic but still relative to the line. I've been saying this ever since he arrived but anyway give Cutler time to throw and let him loose to throw on the run as well and he's gonna be a winner. He's not your typical pocket passer and neither Martz or Tice ever used him at his strengths. Today he got time to throw, Trestman gave him the correct calls, and he, made the throws. Those two TD passes were incredible throws. Right where only the receiver could get the ball.
    • Like Like x 3
  9. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,189 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    532ß
    +1

Cutler had pinpoint accuracy. He not only got the ball to a "catchable" area, he placed it with precision on most passes - in areas that only the receiver could make the play on the ball, and away from the defender. And he did this, getting the ball out quickly. You could see a significant change in how he was more "aware" with a pocket presence that often was lacking previously with the Bears. I believe Cutler "regressed" during the Lovie Smith years. His mechanics degraded and his pocket awareness became low. You can clearly see a change for the better with Cutler's awareness, timing, pocket presence & even his mechanics, now that Trestman has been working with him. I believe it's a combination of a better offensive line AND a better Jay Cutler. It's a synergy effect.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. shark86x

Ratings:
    +589 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    194ß
    Keeping off-topic, I also give credit to the receivers. Those were very difficult catches. Especially Bennett's with the defender's arm between his and falling to the ground and rolling. I have no idea how Marty held onto that TD.

Back to topic, I was very impressed with the right side. 2 rookies and they handled one of the best DLs in the league. Kudos to them, and Kromer for getting them game-ready so quickly. A shout-out to Cutler too for pulling Mills out before he had any chance to retaliate on that last play. Even Garza surprised me by not being terrible. Maybe his problem last year really was the guys on either side of him.
  11. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +311 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    142ß
    I was watching that play on my DVR. Mills played it very well. In slo-mo you can see Rey Maualuga spin Mills around and Mills has his hands open, out by his sides. I don't think Mills was going to retaliate. If I am reading this correctly, Mills is showing a lot of maturity and poise for a rook.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,760 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    746ß
    Mills said he wanted to retaliate, but kept his composure, that is fantastic maturity for a 5th round rookie T, and that's a sign of great coaching. He and Long are showing signs of a potentially great right side for years to come. And that is on Emery, if you're going to reach, it better pay off and the Long pick is looking like it will pay off in spades. Mills is an absolute steal; if Emery can continue to find legit quality in the mid rounds like this he's going to correct all the problems JA made over the past years very quickly.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. shark86x

Ratings:
    +589 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    194ß
    Yeah, I don't think Mills was going to retaliate either, I was just impressed by Cutler, you know him: the sour-puss, cranky, no-care-for-anybody-else, jerky QB doing the right thing and helping out the team and his teammates for a change. ;)
  14. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,760 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    746ß
    670 just said that PFF graded out Mills as the best OL on the Bears during the Cincy game, suprising.
  15. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,189 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    532ß

I honestly expected the OL to look ugly in this first game. All these many years I've heard that "conventional wisdom" point about how it's impossible to start a bunch of new players on an OL and have that work out well - at least in the beginning. Starting 4 new guys, with two of them rookies, defies everything I've been led to believe over the years regarding OL play. It just isn't done this way. I wasn't "against" the move, due to the fact our OL was so bad - desperate times requires desperate measures.

But I sure didn't see this coming. The OL looking like a good veteran unit against a solid defense. I'm still kind of in awe that they played so well yesterday. They do still have a lot of room for improvement, especially run blocking. But that doesn't diminish how stunned I am over what happened yesterday.

Garza was pretty amazing too. His "game" is often blocking in tandem with one of the guards that flank him. All game long you see this. Maybe his play was pulled down in recent years by the lack of talent, and constantly changing players - at guard. Also, the change in blocking scheme may have helped his play too. I loved the new blocking scheme. It was pretty cool to watch yesterday.

Now, let's hope the OL continues to make strides each game.

One last point regarding the OL. There will be screwups and sacks/hits. Even the best NFL offensive line units can't protect the QB on every play. So I don't expect a "no sack" game every week. And when the OL does have a game with a few sacks, I'm not going to over-react and think they've suddenly become bums.
    • Like Like x 4
  16. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +608 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    264ß
    It's great to see these young line guys play this well. With the passion and fire that we haven't seen on the O-line in a long time. I guarantee you will never ever see Jay bump any of these guys for 2 reasons. 1. these guys have the fire and moxie to kick ass without any prodding from the QB. 2. if Jay bumped any of these linemen like he did with Webb they would put him on his ass because these dudes are mean. And that's what you want in the make up of your DNA linemen pit-bull attitudes. Poor Webb will never have that fire, you can't make someone have it ask Jay after his attempt they either do or don't. I love the fact Jay has to do just the opposite he has to pull them out of the fights and as a QB that's what you want to be doing. Because you know these guys have your back and they will fight with every fiber to kick someones butt for him.
    • Like Like x 5
  17. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +608 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    264ß
    That's true when you are talking about guys that don't have good physical ability's. Because each guy helps the other because of deficiencies and a line that has played together for a long time knows each others tendency's. However, when you have crazy athletic guys playing together that all changes, they learn and adapt at a much higher speed. So mistakes they make can be hidden by crazy ability. Wait till they really do start to jell this line is going to be the best we have ever seen in my time even compared to the '85 Bears line. (just don't tell those '85 guys because they were mean dudes and I don't want them looking for me.)
    • Like Like x 3
  18. yttocs

yttocs Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    20ß
    Well I won't hear this , so far this year.....
  19. yttocs

yttocs Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    20ß
    and for the HATERS....of JC......