Hybrid Defense

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BSBEARS, Jan 27, 2014.

1. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +592 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    458ß
    • Like Like x 3
  2. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +281 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    20ß
    Thanks for the article BS.

The "hybrid" is somewhat of a mystery to me but the article has told me some of what I thought a hybrid might be.

The thing that concerns me is that it seems to need a lot of players to cover all the formations, and we are a little short on the defensive side as it is. Plus, it would seem that depth could become an issue when one or both of the "tweeners" go down with injuries. Not everyone can cover, rush and defend the run.

It seems to be working for the Seahawks.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Xa0sG0rilla

Xa0sG0rilla Veteran

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Interesting. This is getting me a little excited about what may be happening.

+1 Kudo to the OP.
  4. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,171 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    47ß
    Great read! A few things:

-I think Paea is more suited to sub in at 3 tech

-Melton wouldn't be worth the money if he played anything but 3tech. Can't see him at LB perhaps DE but would be subbed out a lot in a hybrid if FA and picks were used on defense. Not getting enough production for 8 mil.

-I really hope we don't go tweener early. McC needs to show he can adjust and Tucker needs to show he can teach. We have LB's (among many) who do nothing but over run plays. Fundamental coaching and acquiring DL, SS, and CB needs need to be first on the list before we run a multi-functional defense that ramps up in complexity, scheme, and matchups.
  5. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    29ß
    Interesting article and I agree that we won't be going wholesale 3-4. Runnig a hybrid with multiple 'looks' would restore a little faith in Tucker.

Dee Ford sounds like a solid pick for a 3-4 slanted team. For the Bears, I don't want a tweener in the first or second round. We don't need another project like Shea go with a guy that has solid physical size for a position. Nothing against Dee but we have too many needs for the risk.
  6. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,656 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    560ß
    good article, thanks!
  7. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    46ß
    I'll be honest, I trust the Bears brass to know far more about how to go about this than me, but my biggest concern about a hybrid is that we will go out and find guys that can "work" in both systems and be "great" in neither. Kind of a group of "Jack of all trades, but master of none" scenario. I like the idea of mixing it up to create confusion for the offenses we will face, but there is also merit to finding a system you want to run; getting the guys to execute that system exactly and going with it.

Hey, who am I to judge, I'm just a fan.
  8. billatter

billatter Veteran

Ratings:
    +186 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    44ß
    It's common up here for teams to vary from 3-4 to 4-3 to 4-4 to 5-2 depending on circumstances, so MT is very familiar with it. I'm not surprised that MT may be wanting to close the door on the Lovie era by bringing in more of a situational approach to the D and less of the straight ahead, brawn dependent 4-3 one we saw last season.

It also provides more opportunity for the smaller, faster, high motor players like McClellan to find valuable roles instead of the "round peg, square hole" situation he found himself in last season.