Hyperloop Petition to White House

Discussion in 'Anything But Football' started by Clark Street, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Clark Street

Clark Street

Elon Musk who runs both Tesla Motors and SpaceX has offered a proposal for a supersonic surface based transit system ideal for trips of several hundred miles which he calls the Hyperloop. It is an open source proposal to the public that would not necessarily involve Musk's companies. Here is a link to the plan: http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/hyperloop

There is a petition to the White House initiated by a person in New Jersey seeking federal funding for the Hyperloop. It was created August 12 and needs 100,000 signatures by September 11. I was #53 today. Here is the link to the petition: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/fund-testing-and-building-elon-musks-hyperloop/NfTcBxqK
  2. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member

So they need only another 99,947 needed? At this pace, that should be taken care of in a little under 21 years. Not sure that goal/deadline is reasonable.
  3. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros SuperFan

Well the other problem is that its a State's issue, not a Federal one, so the WH couldnt really do anything about it anyway.
  4. Clark Street

Clark Street

It's interesting that you should say that. It certainly seems reasonable.

However, on June 21 I found a White House petition that was initiated on June 5. I became signer #283. Just as I have today, I notified members of message boards to which I belonged. Folks at that time wrote replies similar to yours. I had to agree with them.

Nevertheless, over 100,000 signatures were gathered before the July 5 deadline. We are now awaiting the administration's response to learn whether they will invoke the US Constitution's interstate commerce clause to thwart states that are requiring manufacturers like Tesla Motors to have their products sold and serviced by local middlemen.

I should add that a petition needs at least 150 signatures before the White House website lists it as an open petition. This latest petition is now getting closer to that threshold.
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  5. Clark Street

Clark Street

Either a state or the federal government could get involved, at least regarding rights of way. The Hyperloop is not just a proposal for California. It is for anywhere, and could cross state or national borders. A president has a "bully pulpit". In fact the Constitution requires him to present proposals to Congress. President Eisenhower asked Congress to initiate funding for an interstate highway system. It has been a boon for motorists, truckers and the national economy. In the 19th century the federal government provided rights of way for the railroads. The Hyperloop outline proposes pylons over interstate highways. The federal government would be needed for that approval. They could also help with loans to entrepreneurs willing to construct and run the Hyperloop.
  6. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros SuperFan

Well for starters, the WH Petition site only guarantees a RESPONSE from the WH if it reaches 100k signatures, it does not guarantee action (or even a response from the president himself, most of the time a cabinet or technical expert gives the response).

And secondly, it is in direct response to California's bullet train, which already has Billion earmarked for its manufacturing, and they are not going to scrap that and fund an unproven, untested IDEA (doesnt actually exist yet, its only a proposed idea) of a transportation. I like the idea of the Hyperloop, but it is going to require years, or a couple decades of proper study and testing before it is feasible.
  7. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

How about they pave the shitty roads in my state before wasting money on nonsense like this.