I Like The Jordan Lynch Sigining..............

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, May 11, 2014.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,019 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,051ß
    that won't work until Lynch proves he can run the ball in and outside. The reason it worked for WP was that he was always a threat to run first; Lynch is going to have a hard time finding the field for awhile, and much like the hester bubble screen or reverse, having him take a pitch for a run just to throw will get sniffed out if he's not on the field enough to show he's more likely to run then throw.
  2. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +760 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    747ß
    I like the many facets he may bring, Half Back options, Reverses, Punt team Blocker for trick plays, Holder for FG.s., probably a few others. I think he still needs to beat out Ford as a regular RB though, Maybe they would keep his as special teams guy if the returner can solidify another position WR or CB. Still not decided who the returner will be. Lynch offers great excitement and flexibility but will probably be stolen if we try to get him to the practice squad, so I believe he needs to beat Ford out to make the team, He is a UDFA for a reason and hopefully he can make it.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,475 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    768ß
    Rumor has it that Trestman told Lynch's agent that the Bears have multiple places to put Lynch, and he should sign with us. They simply put him down as RB for record keeping, expect them to use Lynch in some different positions that will throw us and opposing D's off guard.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,910 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    921ß
    So your saying Lynch could play RB or SS? Or am I misreading and misunderstanding you?
  5. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,910 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    921ß
    RB, TE, WR......

Sounds like Soul says he could be a SS...

A true Renaissance Man who might be able to actually play both sides of the ball?
  6. Trackguy

Trackguy Veteran

Ratings:
    +170 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    24ß
    I love it. I hope it works out. I'm pulling for the kid.
  7. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +366 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    55ß
    Probably one of the most important/true posts in the thread. The dude can have all the potential in the world and be a mismatch nightmare in theory but until he can make teams respect him in the run game all points are moot.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    59ß
    I like Lynch as much as the next guy, but lets be realistic here....he will have a tough time just making the roster. Unless he can prove that he has worth somewhere (and granted, there are alot of "somewheres" for him) he won't make the 53 man roster.

In order for him to make it he will have to beat out Fales/Palmer for QB3 Ford/Carey for RB3, Onborn for TE2, Vereen for SS2?

I just don't think thats very likely, I just don't see him on the 53 man roster barring multiple injuries in one position.

Just a little reality check...
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,019 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,051ß
    that's why I said Ford might be on the chopping block, they obviously didn't feel comfortable w/him on the offense last year so he might be more easily replaced them some think
  10. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +366 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    55ß
    I think his main mission is to beat Ford for RB3. If he can secure a spot as the third running back then everything else falls into place. My gut says no TE or S for this guy, I think he's going to be designated for being an offensive mismatch. He's got the same 40 yard time as Carey so the speed is there if we're happy with Carey we can be happy with Lynch. He finds the hole well and it'll be a change up to be a RB rather than a QB but if he can provide a bruising runner type of RB for us then he'll be a great part of this trio we have in place. He's got the strength and he's quick as hell with his feet, so he can find the hole, get to it quickly, and then power on down the field. He'll be an asset on special teams as a blocker who can throw it or run it on fakes and he's got the bulk for it so if he can show he can do that I think that's where some of his versatility will lie. Then you add in his throwing ability he's a great emergency QB if our top two were to go down.

Here's a couple runs that I think show what kind of power running he can bring to this team.

• Like Like x 1
  11. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,224 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    261ß
    I agree, Grizz. Hard not to live this kid's enthusiasm and athletic ability but reality check this isn't NIU anymore for him. There's multiple ways you could see him contributing (RB, maybe S, returner, emergency QB, etc.) but a redshirt year on the practice squad first sounds like the ticket most likely.

The team isn't going to keep 5 RBs (incl a FB) so he'd have to beat out Ford there for a spot. To stick as a reserve S/return man he's gonna need time to learn a new position. Even as a RB, which seems like an easier transition, he's gonna have to learn blitz pickups and receiving. We are probably looking at 2015 for him.
  12. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    59ß
    Due to the pedestrian performance from Bush last year, Ford didn't get many snaps or looks at all. I was in the minority pre draft thinking that HH wasn't as high on Ford as some thought, this draft kinda reinforced that.

Yep I think thats about his one and only chance. To show enough to beat out Ford. I just don't see many possibilities for him outside of that. Unless Palmer and Fales look absolutely horrible, I think RB3 is his best shot.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +204 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    30ß
    Another interesting concept would be Lynch coupled with O'Donnell on ST's, especially punting. Could give the opposition fits for sure.
    :lol 027:
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    59ß
    I've got it all figured out...

Fake punt..Snap to Lynch...Who runs a midline option with our fullback of a punter.

NOW I know what Emery was thinking....Oh yeah, and then he goes out there to play safety.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Trackguy

Trackguy Veteran

Ratings:
    +170 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    24ß
    It's fun to romantacize about the possibilities. But unless they really do have some secret offense built around him for gimmick plays, the reality is that he will most likely be cut and then signed to the practice squad this year. I can't see them being comfortable with having their #3 RB as a guy who has never played the position.
  16. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters Veteran

Ratings:
    +198 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I like this signing ALOT.

With his character (willing to play where ever the Bears want him to) his obvious physical abilities, his versatility, and the fact that he's playing for his hometown team, he is a beloved cult hero in the making.
    • Like Like x 2
  17. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,875 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,641ß
    Not exactly. I'm saying that some teams saw him as a SS as opposed to a QB. The Bears have declared him a RB but I believe they'll try to take advantage of his unique skill set by designing specific plays around it.

When I posted that it was in response to "zona's" post about it all. What I was trying to point out is that this kid isn't built at all like your typical QB. He's kind of stock and very powerful for his size.
  18. dabears

dabears Veteran

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    It is going to be hard to give him a 53 man roster spot with the 1-2 running backs already pretty etched in stone. Maybe as RB3 but I see it as a long shot.
  19. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters Veteran

Ratings:
    +198 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I bet he beats out Michael Ford as 3rd RB based on his versatility alone.
  20. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,875 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,641ß
    Maybe a little clarification is needed here because there are some misinterpretations of what this signing is or isn't.

1) He's not going to be competing at QB. We have four already.

2) He's not currently competing for a SS spot. He'll be used on offense.

3) He's only 6' tall and 217lbs so they aren't gonna try him at TE either.

The guy is a terrific runner. He's has very good vision and instincts as a runner, he's got very quick feet and great short area burst (best 3 cone time by a RB in over a decade) and he's very powerful for his size. They intend to use him as a RB and/or a special situations player on offense, not defense or at least that's the current plan.

He'll compete with Carey and Ford for a backup RB position and as a STeams guy. I think we can safely assume that Carey will make the team so as it stands Lynch's main competition will be Ford for the #3 RB spot. If he plays well on STeams it's also possible they'll keep both Lynch and Ford. Having Lynch active each game precludes the need for a #3 QB to also be active for no other reason than to hold a clip board. Lynch can be the emergency 3rd QB.

The guy was a very productive offensive player at NIU and finished third in the Heisman voting. To not try to find a niche for him on the offense would be foolish but at least one key to his making the team is his ability to play on coverage and return teams. The #3 RB has to play STeams.