I Like The Jordan Lynch Sigining..............

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, May 11, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Not really. So far all he has standing in his way as a #3 RB is Michael Ford. With Lynch's versatility and his prowess as a runner it's not all that much of a stretch to see him beating out Ford and who knows, they may keep both based on their STeams play as well.
  2. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,705 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,228ß
    +1

He's got amazing quickness and agility. His 3-cone at the NFL Combine was better than all RB's. His 20 yard shuttle was top-7 of all RB's there. He's a powerful runner in addition to being one of the quickest most agile RB's this year. With his quickness/agility/power, he'd be an asset on special teams for sure, and the guy could possibly be a #3 QB (the guy was a Heisman finalist, so you could sure do worse .....and frankly, if a team is down to their 3rd string QB, they're probably pretty much screwed anyway). He came to NIU as a safety out of his high school. I think that's where they may have gotten the safety idea. Anyway, I can see why Trestman, Kromer & Joe DeCamillis would give this guy a serious look. I'm not saying he'll make the final roster, but it's not delusional thinking to figure he's got a shot.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +695 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    404ß
    Can play QB, RB, S, ST can replace Steltz and Ford with 1 and your 3rd qb at game time because Bears only dress 2 qbs. Great signing.
  4. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    I actually think he's one up one that having been an option QB in college. This kid was a better runner than he was a passer and that's what made him so dangerous. There's a small technical difference in taking a handoff from the QB as opposed to taking a snap from the OC but the other skills he as a runner translate pretty easily. Anyway, he's gonna get a shot at it.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +404 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    95ß
    He's got the talent to be that third running back and he brings versatility. Gives him a leg up in a team that Phil Emery is putting together. I think if the kid can run then Trest is going to work magic with him in this offense.
  6. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +215 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    519ß
    I bet he makes the team. A year from now if everything works out right ,he will be talked as the steal of the draft.

Theres too much upside that nobody drafted him ... I wonder why ?
  7. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,061 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,315ß
    Cause no one has the vision of Emery
  8. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +483 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß
    Soul, thats kinda what I was getting at. I am highlighting how unlikely it is that he makes the 53 man roster. I'm luke warm towards Ford, but I just seriously doubt that he pushes him out. Just don't see it. And you highlight the reasons I don't see him at anywhere else on this roster. Maybe he can push out Ford, but I just doubt it.
  9. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +215 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    519ß
    When drafted Devin Hester was listed as a WR.
  10. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +404 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    95ß
    Actually he was listed as a CB.
  11. strockrocks

strockrocks Veteran

Ratings:
    +218 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    I think we are so used to no creativity on this team (both offense and defense) for so long we don't know how to handle this. Our offense has been so bad for so long but thank god we had a great defense (which was actually predictable, yet worked). So a situation like Jordan Lynch is foreign to us.

Smart teams find a way to get the best players on the field for certain situations. Never in a million years would I have trusted Lovie or Tice with what to do with Lynch but I gotta give Trestman the chance, you know? Other teams do it, why can't we? If he impresses through rookie camp and TC, then I'll be ecstatic.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Grizz I just wanted to clear up any misunderstanding anyone may have had that I saw him or the Bears saw him as a Safety or a QB. I was just quoting your post as a platform to do it with not contradicting you. Benji had asked about what I meant in a post so I used yours to clarify what I meant.

Emery is all about competition at every level and RB is no different. Because we spent a draft pick on him Carey seems to be a lock to make the team but that #3 spot hinges on a lot of different things including STeams play. Ford was also an UDFA so we don't have a pick invested in him either. On that basis he and Lynch are equals but Ford has an advantage having played STeams whereas Lynch has not.

I don't see him coming in a pushing Ford out of a job but he's sure as hell gonna get that chance and IMHO he has the skills set to do it. I liked Ford with what little I saw of him in preseason last year. The kid's a pretty decent RB so the competition between them can only help both of them and the team. Who knows, they may end up keeping both if both tear it up on STeams too.
  13. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +747 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    89ß
    I think some of us are missing the forest for the trees.

It's one thing to say he can play RB or QB, but it's another to say he could play Safety as well. It's possible he could play on Specials, but that's a bit different. To be available to play both ways (Offense and Defense), you have to be involved in team meeting for both through the week, game planning and such. MOST of the time spent during the week of preparation for a game in-season is classroom stuff and that's why we seldom see players play both ways anymore.

I think soul made the best point early in this thread; Lynch provides a great option as an emergency 3rd QB so he could save a roster spot there, but he also provides the option of a 3rd RB, so one guy effectively replaces two spots. He can eliminate Fords spot AND Palmer/Fales spot on the 53. I think it's more likely that Fales ends up on the practice squad than Lynch, only because Lynch can also be the 3rd RB and he doesn't have to "beat out" Ford; he only has to be "nearly as good as" Ford, because he can also act as an emergency QB while Ford cannot. Ultimately, he doesn't have to be "better than Ford/Lynch/Palmer" to make the 53, he simply has to be serviceable in both positions.

With that said, unless he falls on his face, I think there is a real possibility that he makes the 53 and Mr. Ford is looking for work with Mr. Fales on the PS.
  14. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,324 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,502ß
    I think you misworded that 4da, Lynch could combine the 3rb and 3qb spot, but he won't be the rb2 or the qb2 spot.
  15. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +307 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    132ß
    exactly what i thought when i saw jordan's tape
  16. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    The kid has great running skills and although he may never be an NFL level passer that doesn't preclude him from being a very good football player period no matter where he ends up playing. Most importantly he isn't resisting the idea of being used as a RB and running down on STeams the way that Tebow did.

Of course he still believes he can be a pro QB and it's good to have that confidence in yourself but realistically the best he could probably ever hope for as a pro QB is to be a #2 guy but as a RB he can contribute far more because he'll get carries and catch passes instead of simply sitting on the bench signaling in plays for 90% of his career.

If he wants to play and contribute then it has to be at another position other than QB.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +747 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    89ß
    I just re-read my post, and I'm still not seeing it; but none the less, I did not intend to imply that I thought Lynch would be our No. 2 RB OR our No. 2 QB. Regardless of who wins the 2 spot for each position, Lynch will be behind them, but he will be behind BOTH (he could be the #3 RB and the #3 QB).
    • Like Like x 1
  18. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +695 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    404ß
    RB that has the option to pass adds a dimension that must be respected but does not effect the passing game if he gets hurt aka RGIII. Plus a ST player asset tell me where's the down side to this FA? If he flops you lose nothing however, if he succeeds oh crap he would be steal of the draft and FA.
  19. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +483 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß
    Sorry, I think there is some homer biased here. Some of the same people that argued that we don't need to draft a RB because we have Ford now are saying a converted QB can send ford to the waiver wire. Just don't see it Ford has an X factor as well, his return ability. We have 3 qbs now so there is no need for him to be used as both a RB and QB. I agree with Soul, his best shot is at RB but I don't see it, not this year at least. Maybe an injury gives him a chance to show what he can do.
  20. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +157 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    46ß
    I agree with evrything you said 99, except one thing. I am going to say, barring injury, he makes the final roster. Emery says he likes versatile players, well this kid is about as versatile as it gets.
    • Like Like x 1