I liked this article!

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Bearsinhouston, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,544 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    743ß
    With that in mind, which non-playoff participant from the 2013 NFL campaign has the best shot at winning Super Bowl XLIX?

It's impossible to overlook Chicago and its embarrassment of offensive riches

With arguably the most talented set of offensive skill players in the entire NFL -- headlined by Brandon Marshall, Alshon Jeffery, Matt Forte and Martellus Bennett -- the Chicago Bears are capable of lighting up the scoreboard, as proven by last year's second-ranked scoring offense. But of course, they must greatly improve a defensive unit that ranked near the bottom in almost every major statistical category. The Bears did well by adding Lamarr Houston and Jared Allen to revamp a defensive front that accumulated just 31 sacks last season (tied for worst in the league). Also, Chicago convinced Charles Tillman to return rather than reunite with former coach Lovie Smith in Tampa Bay.

But let's face it: Success in the NFL always starts with the quarterback position. This team will go wherever Jay Cutler takes it -- and that has been down a rocky road in years past. You have to accept the bad with the good when it comes to Cutler, but if he can spread the ball around to those explosive weapons and limit critical turnovers, Chicago has a great chance to make some noise in the NFC.
    • Like Like x 8
  2. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,844 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,537ß
    Phil's Emery's Mom writes real nice doesn't she. I hope she takes that Cutler hating Rick Morrissey's job away. LOL

Oh and uh PS: I um, went ahead and liked the fact the you liked it. You deserved it. LOL
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,544 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    743ß
    I like that!
    • Like Like x 1
  4. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,844 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,537ß
    LOL, I knew you would. You're like that.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,975 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    986ß
    All legit, although I think TB more decided against Tillman then Chicago convinced him not to go there. JC has definately not lived up to the idea that sent 2 firsts and a player and another pick to Denver, but there is no reason he shouldn't be able to win w/all the talent around him, if the D is healthy they should be able to make a run.
  6. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    24ß
    Jay needs to stay healthy and he is in the second season with Trestman so there are really no excuses.

The FO has made some really good moves to help the defense, so the excuses are getting fewer.

The draft should give us even fewer excuses. DT,FS, CB in the first three rounds would go a long way towards getting the Defense straight.
    • Like Like x 3
  7. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,844 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,537ß
    On paper and on both sides of the ball this team is better overall than the one that went to the Super Bowl in 2006. Whether or not they play to that level is another thing but I believe there's gonna be huge pressure on Trestman and his staff to make sure that happens. Neither side of the ball will have much if any room for excuses once the season roles around.
    • Like Like x 6
  8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,367 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    766ß
    +1

Also, the Bears had a top-5 defense in 2006. I see Phil assembling some nice player additions on defense, and more will follow in the draft. But Mel Tucker is going to still have to prove he can put the pieces together and produce a solid defense. I'm not saying he can't. I'm just saying he hasn't proven (yet) that he can do that in Chicago. And I don't think any of us believe we'll have a top-5 defense in 2014. If we're in the top half of the NFL in defense, most of us will probably be happy campers.

One key on offense will be to have a #2 QB who can keep the season afloat when Cutler goes down to injury as he has every season since 2009. We all assume (me included) that Trestman can coach up a anyone to QB this team to wins. But in the back of my mind I have that tiny worry that maybe not every backup is going to be a McCown. Here's to hoping that lightening does strike twice here, and Trestman has a good #2 QB for us again this season.
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  9. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,975 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    986ß
    The D in the first year needs to be top 15-20, nothing lower, unless catasprophic inj's happen,ie Allen, Houston, Briggs/DJ/Tillman all go down for the year.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,367 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    766ß
    Ric I agree. I don't think most of us expect a top-tier defense, but we don't want a joke of a defense either. I'm personally hoping for the top half of the NFL. That would be 16 or better ranking. I don't think that's too much to ask of Mel & his defense - especially with Emery focusing on bringing in solid talent there. And I'm not hating on Mel here. Just saying that THIS year he needs to show us he can coach here in Chicago. If he can, then great. If he can't, then kick him to the curb and bring in a guy who CAN coach.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,544 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    743ß
    I agree. Even the top O as seen last year can't do it with an average D. Your D has to be pretty stout. ANd the opposite is true. A top D with no O can't do it either. You need to have both be retty good. I honestly don't think a top 20 D will get us into the SB. Into the playoffs, yes, but I think it has to be top 15 and I'd fell better if it were between 5 and 10. And honestly, not to beat up on Tucker (ok, dammit yeah, I enjoy it) but the biggest question mark in my mind is Tucker. Other than that, I see no reason why this can't be a really good defense. With an upgrade at LB, S, and new blood at CB, this could be a top 5 D again.
  12. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +161 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    64ß
    I can already imagine the threads.....
  13. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,544 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    743ß
    Good point.... We haven't gotten on Cutler for a while. Isn't his time for abuse from from April 15 to June 1? Coming on time to get down on Jay!
  14. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,844 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,537ß
    There's gonna be a lot of ifs this year but one if that isn't gonna fly is IF they stay healthy. With the frontline players and depth Emery has added this team should be able to withstand some games lost to injury by it's starters and still come out OK. The biggest focus should be on getting a #2 QB prepared as well as McCown was and they need to decide who that guy is gonna be quickly and then get him the reps he needs this summer because he won't be getting many after that. If they want to look at more vets then get their asses in here before July and then make of their minds about who gets the nod to begin with and who competes to unseat him.
  15. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +376 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    91ß
    The longer they go not signing QB competition the more I think they have already made up their minds that the #2 QB spot is Palmer's job. He can certainly play his way out of the spot. Hutchinson certainly managed to do that.

Man, do you remember in 2005 when Kurt Warner showed up on the Bears doorstep looking for a home, and the Bears told him that he could be the #2 but he would not be allowed to compete at starting QB against Grossman, and he would have to earn the #2 spot from Chad Hutchinson. Those were the days. JA sure did know how to make colossal mistakes.
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,544 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    743ß
    I'm thinking that since those were decisions on who would play, they were made by Lovie. Either way, you are right.... We really had inept people there. ANd that means inept owners that did not fix it. It all started with George. That right there was the turning point.
    • Like Like x 2
  17. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +732 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    77ß
    I'm inclined to agree with Houston. The turn around we are watching (or transformation if you will), did not start with Trestman; it did not even start with Emery; it started when George McCaskey took his turn at the helm. A great leader/business owner/whatever needs to know what he's good at and what he ain't. In the immortal words of Dirty Harry, "A man's got to know his limitations". George does! He knows he wants to win, he knows how to make the engine of business run, he know that in the business of professional sport, winning is good for business and helps it run even better, and he knows how to select people to do the things he can't. He doesn't throw himself in the spot light, he allows his managers to take the credit when things go right, but he also tries to deflect some of the blame from them when things go wrong, all the while enjoying the fruits of their labor. What a welcome change from the days of his stupid freakin brother. I actually used to look forward to the McCaskey's selling of the team when Virginia dies, but if George keeps this up, I may actually start to be proud of this ownership again; something I have not been most of my adult life.
    • Like Like x 3
  18. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +192 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    359ß
    REALITY IS ... Its NOT 2014 for NFL Football!

Not yet.

WE gotta EARN our way to that point brothers.

We will need EVERY SWINGIN DICK on CHICAGO BEARS.
  19. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +738 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    705ß
    Wonder how close George follows the Blackhawks and if he watched what Rocky did after he took over and the success the Blackhawks have had. He seems to be on track for something special here.
  20. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,367 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    766ß
    The old "Rex is our quarterback" statement sure got old fast. With guys like Quinn the Eskimo and Chad Hutchinson who needed Kurt Warner :-)

[​IMG]