I liked this article!

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Bearsinhouston, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    5,214ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    With that in mind, which non-playoff participant from the 2013 NFL campaign has the best shot at winning Super Bowl XLIX?

It's impossible to overlook Chicago and its embarrassment of offensive riches

With arguably the most talented set of offensive skill players in the entire NFL -- headlined by Brandon Marshall, Alshon Jeffery, Matt Forte and Martellus Bennett -- the Chicago Bears are capable of lighting up the scoreboard, as proven by last year's second-ranked scoring offense. But of course, they must greatly improve a defensive unit that ranked near the bottom in almost every major statistical category. The Bears did well by adding Lamarr Houston and Jared Allen to revamp a defensive front that accumulated just 31 sacks last season (tied for worst in the league). Also, Chicago convinced Charles Tillman to return rather than reunite with former coach Lovie Smith in Tampa Bay.

But let's face it: Success in the NFL always starts with the quarterback position. This team will go wherever Jay Cutler takes it -- and that has been down a rocky road in years past. You have to accept the bad with the good when it comes to Cutler, but if he can spread the ball around to those explosive weapons and limit critical turnovers, Chicago has a great chance to make some noise in the NFC.

• Like Like x 8
  2. soulman

soulman
    Expand Collapse
    Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,938ß
    Phil's Emery's Mom writes real nice doesn't she. I hope she takes that Cutler hating Rick Morrissey's job away. LOL

Oh and uh PS: I um, went ahead and liked the fact the you liked it. You deserved it. LOL

• Like Like x 2
  3. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    5,214ß
    I like that!

• Like Like x 1
  4. soulman

soulman
    Expand Collapse
    Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,938ß
    LOL, I knew you would. You're like that.

• Like Like x 2
  5. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,489ß
    All legit, although I think TB more decided against Tillman then Chicago convinced him not to go there. JC has definately not lived up to the idea that sent 2 firsts and a player and another pick to Denver, but there is no reason he shouldn't be able to win w/all the talent around him, if the D is healthy they should be able to make a run.

6. mdbearz

mdbearz
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    294ß
    Jay needs to stay healthy and he is in the second season with Trestman so there are really no excuses.

The FO has made some really good moves to help the defense, so the excuses are getting fewer.

The draft should give us even fewer excuses. DT,FS, CB in the first three rounds would go a long way towards getting the Defense straight.

• Like Like x 3
  7. soulman

soulman
    Expand Collapse
    Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,938ß
    On paper and on both sides of the ball this team is better overall than the one that went to the Super Bowl in 2006. Whether or not they play to that level is another thing but I believe there's gonna be huge pressure on Trestman and his staff to make sure that happens. Neither side of the ball will have much if any room for excuses once the season roles around.

• Like Like x 6
  8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    5,643ß
    +1

Also, the Bears had a top-5 defense in 2006. I see Phil assembling some nice player additions on defense, and more will follow in the draft. But Mel Tucker is going to still have to prove he can put the pieces together and produce a solid defense. I'm not saying he can't. I'm just saying he hasn't proven (yet) that he can do that in Chicago. And I don't think any of us believe we'll have a top-5 defense in 2014. If we're in the top half of the NFL in defense, most of us will probably be happy campers.

One key on offense will be to have a #2 QB who can keep the season afloat when Cutler goes down to injury as he has every season since 2009. We all assume (me included) that Trestman can coach up a anyone to QB this team to wins. But in the back of my mind I have that tiny worry that maybe not every backup is going to be a McCown. Here's to hoping that lightening does strike twice here, and Trestman has a good #2 QB for us again this season.

#8 JustAnotherBearsFan99, Apr 8, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  9. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,489ß
    The D in the first year needs to be top 15-20, nothing lower, unless catasprophic inj's happen,ie Allen, Houston, Briggs/DJ/Tillman all go down for the year.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    5,643ß
    Ric I agree. I don't think most of us expect a top-tier defense, but we don't want a joke of a defense either. I'm personally hoping for the top half of the NFL. That would be 16 or better ranking. I don't think that's too much to ask of Mel & his defense - especially with Emery focusing on bringing in solid talent there. And I'm not hating on Mel here. Just saying that THIS year he needs to show us he can coach here in Chicago. If he can, then great. If he can't, then kick him to the curb and bring in a guy who CAN coach.

• Like Like x 1