I really thought we'd have heard SOMETHING about Bennett by now.

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Aug 8, 2014.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,049 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,774ß
    Anyone hearing anything about the Bennett situation? I really hoped Bennett would be back for the preseason games. This first one is nothing big for the starters, but if he misses more, then I'm going to worry a bit. It looks like all the guy has to do is mend fences with Trestman and go on. The longer this stretches out, the more I worry that Bennett might be stubborn here.
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  2. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    He (Bennett) could be using it as an excuse to avoid some TC/PS stuff. A lot of vets can kind of dog it a bit if they can get away with it.
  3. B-ell-y-iot

B-ell-y-iot Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +454 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    438ß
    I haven't heard anything new other than speculation from a number of sources that say the real reason behind the suspension was Bennett's confrontation with Marshall which apparently went on long after practice ended (Jason Cole NFL Insider from Bleacher Report).

There are many reasons why things might be going on for awhile without any word, and it's probably a number of factors. I imagine some of it has to do with some stubbornness from Bennett and the insistence on accountability from the front office and Trestman. Trestman made it sound like there were a number of concrete steps that needed to be taken before Bennett would come back to the team. If that's the case, and I have every reason to believe it is, then it's up to Bennett to do what's needed. Bennett might not be ready to take the needed action because he disagrees with the process, the process is difficult, he wants some additional time off (if reports are true that he was walking at practice this would make sense), or things might already be resolved.

With that said, I think the biggest reason we haven't heard any additional news is because practice has been closed to the public and to the media. I would expect to hear more either tonight or, if not tonight, Sunday which is the next time camp will be open to the public and the media.

I think this is actually good news. The less we hear about the matter, the more under control things are. If things weren't under control, we'd be hearing tons of reports (some contradicting each other). The other reason I think this is good is because it demonstrates the conviction of Trestman and the front office. They aren't going to back down when they issue a consequence. They have high expectations and a thought out process, and they are going to stick with it.

Don't be surprised if Trestman, in his post game interview, says he's spoken with Bennett and had a positive conversation.
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +976 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    563ß

I agree.

The best part about this, is that he is being reminded that he is human and can be replaced.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. B-ell-y-iot

Ratings:
    +454 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    438ß
    I agree, BUT, Black unicorns are a rare breed. We might get a horse, but nothing that's gonna impale opposing D's like Marty B. at least nothing we currently have and nothing I've seen in the all-unemployed team.
  6. Ski-Whiz

Ratings:
    +976 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    563ß
    Well, there are a lot of things that I can use as examples of greatness that failed because of their egos.

Most commonly, when you think you're irreplaceable, you will probably be replaced real soon.

You can't think you are bigger than the process.

I like Bennett, but if his attitude infects the team, you lose the team.

The way this is going now, worse case, you lose a very good TE. I doubt that will happen though.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member

Ratings:
    +4,713 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,076ß
  8. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +2,276 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,686ß
    Like the old say goes... "He is dead to me right now". My connection to him is not personal. I do not know him. Hence my connection is through his being a Bear. Right now, he is not the kind of Bear that is helping the team. Until he is, I don't care. He is one HELL of a player and I would MUCH rather he be playing than not, but if he is going to make it be contingent on his terms and not Trestmans terms, then don't let the door hit you in the ass.

If he comes back with an honest new attitude, I will be the first to wish him well, and welcome him back with open arms (not the Phil Emery type...)
    • Like Like x 3
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Ski-Whiz

Ratings:
    +976 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    563ß
    Will he even be there is the question?
  10. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +2,276 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,686ß
    Honestly don't know, but I don't see how the club could possibly let him come back to being part of a group that he doesn't seem to be sorry when he abuses them. It would send the wrong signal IMO. Until he is ready to say he is wrong and mean it, I don't think he will be invited back, but that's just me.
  11. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member

Ratings:
    +4,713 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,076ß
    Eh, it will blow over. Yeah, what he did was over the line, but i dont believe it was personal. Its not as if he was like "i hate that Kyle Fuller guy, and im gonna make him pay!!!" or something. He simply got heated in practice and over-reacted. He will get slapped on the wrist, and i would be VERY shocked if he isnt starting opening day.
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Ski-Whiz

Ratings:
    +976 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    563ß
    Yeah, I agree. I think this will pass, however, the Bears are drawing the line in the sand. It's something they have to do.

Either he realizes what he did and meets their demands, or he is traded, released etc.. In the end, I see him as folding in, like he should. He was wrong.
  13. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    102ß
    He hasn't been active on Twitter since July 23...interesting..he is usually much more active unless team calls for a complete media ban
  14. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    I think the TE play by Miller so far tonight will enter into Bennett's decision making.
  15. kevperro

kevperro Veteran

Ratings:
    +167 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    209ß
    I doubt if it impact Bennett but it sure will the team.

He looks solid... catching anything near him.
  16. MrDynamite32

MrDynamite32 Veteran

Ratings:
    +171 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    210ß
    It's nice to see the Bears putting their foot down on things like this for a change; a 180 from the Lovie Smith days. In any event, I hope this gets squared away soon. Like it or not, losing Bennett would be a blow to this offense.
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 1
  17. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,620 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,819ß
    I heard Trest say earlier in the week that he was not ruled out of last nights game, but again it's a process. By all rumors he has to be willing to come back to the Bears on THEIR terms, and cannot continue to act like he was acting in TC, getting into fights and being unable to calm down after wards; and he's got to show more hussle.

A lot of people are saying these were some signs he was showing in Dallas, and one of my concerns when the Bears brought him in. I thought he'd shown signs of growth and that Marshal had gotten to him, but apparently that extension relaxed him and he's gone back to his original state of being. I have no doubt he'll be back sooner then later, no doubt Zach Miller's performance will help move things along.
  18. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +2,276 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,686ß
    The fact that this is taking longer than I thought points to one of two things (IMO).

1. He is enrolled in some sort of intervention and they want him to complete it before coming back (not sure why he could not participate while undergoing therapy though - so this is not my leading theory)

2. He continues to be stubborn about being right. This bothers me because a guy will normally have time to give some serious thought to something and have a sincere change of heart within a few days. If it takes much longer than that, the change of heart is being forced upon them and is not sincere (assuming it happens at all). All that will do is build resentment and have a player who does not want to be there on the teams terms and everyone loses.

Right now, I am starting to wonder about the situation turning into a real loss for us. We'll see what happens but if he is sticking to his guns, then we have a problem we will have to make a decision on, and my guess is Emery/Trestman are not going to capitulate.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    From what I've been reading from guys like "Moon" Mullin who actually have a pretty good pulse on the team it was the aftermath that was the real problem. It was his comments to the press hours after it happened that showed he was still angry, arrogant, and carrying a grudge and his continuing the battle with Marshall later that evening that forced the Bears hand. By then it was obvious that for Bennett it wasn't over and that he'd still be carrying it around the next day and they didn't want another incident because of it.

I'm guessing here but in this case my guess is based on my own personal experience. I believe Bennett does have a psychological disorder and/or bio-chemical disorder of some type. It explains the rage over what Fuller did and his physical reaction to it and it also explains why he dismisses it with a simple "it's just the way I am" and "I'm not here to make friends". He's a big tough pro football player who isn't willing to admit his may have an issue that would make him seem weaker or less than he is so he rationalizes his behavior instead of accepting it and the need to control it.

If anything this should give fans and idea of just how tough it was for Brandon Marshall to finally come to grips with his BPD and work to overcome it. He's nowhere near the same guy he was when he played here in Denver. I'm guessing the reason Bennett and Marshall continued to battle verbally has as much to do with Marshall recognizing those problems in him and wanting to help and so far Bennett ain't buying it so he pushes him off anyway he can. Taken in total there's a pretty solid bunch of evidence here that Bennett runs hot and cold a lot which is what happens when a mood cycle increases rapidly under stress.

Trestman has said that Marty may return on Sunday but I'm betting that one of the conditions of his return is that he agree to a medical and psychological evaluation to see just what's making him tick this way. We're never gonna hear about it unless Bennett gives out that info because the team won't ever release private medical info of that nature. I could be dead wrong but once you've been through this yourself and are finally forced to recognize it and accept it gets much easier to spot the signs in others which is what I believe Marshall has done and is trying to help Bennett and the team with. JMHO
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. B-ell-y-iot

Ratings:
    +454 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    438ß

Brad Biggs, Tribune reporter

Speaking of Martellus Bennett, coach Marc Trestman didn’t offer any clues to a possible return date for the suspended tight end after the game.
    It made sense for Bennett to be absent for the game. His presence on the sideline would have been a potential distraction for those that have been working on the field. A logical return date would be at training camp Sunday, when the team gets on the field again.
    “It has not been decided one way or another,” Trestman said. “We will continue to get focused on that a little bit over the next 24 hours. I will certainly let you know on Sunday where we are.”
    While the Bears have called Bennett’s suspension “indefinite,” there is a cap. The collective bargaining agreement states the maximum a player can be suspended for conduct detrimental to the team is four weeks. The club announced Bennett also has been fined and the maximum he can be fined is one week’s pay. His base salary is $4.8 million so that makes one week of pay $282,352. So, figure that fine is somewhere between $1 and $282,352.
    When the Bears signed Bennett last season, they guaranteed him $9.215 million. He earned $5.315 million in 2013, so the club is guaranteeing him $3.9 million of the $4.9 million he is scheduled to earn this year ($4.8 million base salary, $100,000 workout bonus). Of course, the fine is going to eat into that total.
    • Like Like x 1