I really thought we'd have heard SOMETHING about Bennett by now.

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Aug 8, 2014.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,246ß
    Ratings:
    +4,567 / 4 / -1
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    Anyone hearing anything about the Bennett situation? I really hoped Bennett would be back for the preseason games. This first one is nothing big for the starters, but if he misses more, then I'm going to worry a bit. It looks like all the guy has to do is mend fences with Trestman and go on. The longer this stretches out, the more I worry that Bennett might be stubborn here.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  2. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    656ß
    Ratings:
    +589 / 1 / -0
    He (Bennett) could be using it as an excuse to avoid some TC/PS stuff. A lot of vets can kind of dog it a bit if they can get away with it.

3. B-ell-y-iot

B-ell-y-iot Veteran
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    698ß
    Ratings:
    +662 / 2 / -0
    I haven't heard anything new other than speculation from a number of sources that say the real reason behind the suspension was Bennett's confrontation with Marshall which apparently went on long after practice ended (Jason Cole NFL Insider from Bleacher Report).

There are many reasons why things might be going on for awhile without any word, and it's probably a number of factors. I imagine some of it has to do with some stubbornness from Bennett and the insistence on accountability from the front office and Trestman. Trestman made it sound like there were a number of concrete steps that needed to be taken before Bennett would come back to the team. If that's the case, and I have every reason to believe it is, then it's up to Bennett to do what's needed. Bennett might not be ready to take the needed action because he disagrees with the process, the process is difficult, he wants some additional time off (if reports are true that he was walking at practice this would make sense), or things might already be resolved.

With that said, I think the biggest reason we haven't heard any additional news is because practice has been closed to the public and to the media. I would expect to hear more either tonight or, if not tonight, Sunday which is the next time camp will be open to the public and the media.

I think this is actually good news. The less we hear about the matter, the more under control things are. If things weren't under control, we'd be hearing tons of reports (some contradicting each other). The other reason I think this is good is because it demonstrates the conviction of Trestman and the front office. They aren't going to back down when they issue a consequence. They have high expectations and a thought out process, and they are going to stick with it.

Don't be surprised if Trestman, in his post game interview, says he's spoken with Bennett and had a positive conversation.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas
    Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,135ß
    Ratings:
    +1,244 / 1 / -2

I agree.

The best part about this, is that he is being reminded that he is human and can be replaced.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. B-ell-y-iot

B-ell-y-iot Veteran
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    698ß
    Ratings:
    +662 / 2 / -0
    I agree, BUT, Black unicorns are a rare breed. We might get a horse, but nothing that's gonna impale opposing D's like Marty B. at least nothing we currently have and nothing I've seen in the all-unemployed team.

6. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas
    Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,135ß
    Ratings:
    +1,244 / 1 / -2
    Well, there are a lot of things that I can use as examples of greatness that failed because of their egos.

Most commonly, when you think you're irreplaceable, you will probably be replaced real soon.

You can't think you are bigger than the process.

I like Bennett, but if his attitude infects the team, you lose the team.

The way this is going now, worse case, you lose a very good TE. I doubt that will happen though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros
    Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    2,250ß
    Ratings:
    +5,424 / 9 / -7
  8. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Coordinator

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,686ß
    Ratings:
    +3,556 / 13 / -0
    Like the old say goes... "He is dead to me right now". My connection to him is not personal. I do not know him. Hence my connection is through his being a Bear. Right now, he is not the kind of Bear that is helping the team. Until he is, I don't care. He is one HELL of a player and I would MUCH rather he be playing than not, but if he is going to make it be contingent on his terms and not Trestmans terms, then don't let the door hit you in the ass.

If he comes back with an honest new attitude, I will be the first to wish him well, and welcome him back with open arms (not the Phil Emery type...)

• Like Like x 3
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas
    Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,135ß
    Ratings:
    +1,244 / 1 / -2
    Will he even be there is the question?

10. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Coordinator

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,686ß
    Ratings:
    +3,556 / 13 / -0
    Honestly don't know, but I don't see how the club could possibly let him come back to being part of a group that he doesn't seem to be sorry when he abuses them. It would send the wrong signal IMO. Until he is ready to say he is wrong and mean it, I don't think he will be invited back, but that's just me.