I really thought we'd have heard SOMETHING about Bennett by now.

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Aug 8, 2014.

1. B-ell-y-iot

B-ell-y-iot Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +302 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    271ß
    This is a good article in providing a little history about Bennett's NFL moves over the years especially as it relates to Bennett's past behavior issues.

Setting something straight on the back story with Bears' Bennett

August 8, 2014, 1:00 pm

[​IMG]
    The Bears and tight end Martellus Bennett hadn’t made up as of Friday morning, but the sidelights to Bennett’s eruption during practice this week do require a bit of further investigation.
    Bennett’s attack on rookie cornerback Kyle Fuller after a practice tackle resulted in disciplinary action against Bennett, who was fined and suspended indefinitely after meeting with team officials. Along with that came whispers than Bennett was an attitude problem in Dallas and New York, and that the Cowboys and Giants “couldn’t wait to get rid of him,” according to one NFL observer.
    Not so.

Bennett said that he opted out of Dallas for the opportunity to move out of Jason Witten’s shadow, and he left New York because the Bears were offering a four-year deal vs. the Giants being tight against the cap. “The Giants lost a tight end they wanted to keep,” wrote New York Daily News beat writer Ralph Vacchiano at the time.
    That was confirmed by Bennett agent Kenard McGuire: “It is indeed factual that the Cowboys did offer Martellus a stronger contract, but it truly was Martellus’ decision to look for a starting opportunity. And not only did the Giants afford that opportunity, he excelled at it, and thusly the Giants offered him value to stay there as well.”

None of which excuses or is intended to justify Bennett’s actions toward Fuller, or any insubordination or other disrespect that might have factored into the suspension. But sometimes it’s good to set the record straight.
  2. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +207 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    418ß
    Pout all you want Martellus .. you got upstaged bitch.

Either be a TEAM player or be a punk.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. B-ell-y-iot

B-ell-y-iot Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +302 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    271ß
    That's a ridiculous statement. Bennett is our number 1 tight end for a reason. He's a solid all around player who earned his spot as a #1 TE for his blocking (both at the line and downfield), his understanding of the offensive scheme, his route running, his pass catching skills, and his play-making skills. EVERYONE on these forums touted him as excellent prior to this incident.

His attitude got him in a little trouble, deservedly so, but as a team we are in weaker position without him on the field despite the good performance of Miller in one preseason game. Remember, Miller has been in the league for 5 years, he's 29 years old, is coming back from multiple serious injuries, and hasn't proven anything other than his ability to have one good game.

I'm all about touting his success. I'm all about holding Marty B. accountable. but most importantly, I'm all about being real and reality says Bennett is significantly better than Miller and he's proven it over the last seven seasons. Marty's been a consistent player (only missing 4 games over 7 years) during his tenure in the NFL.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +207 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    418ß
    Whats he doing for us now?

Thats just it ... without him we are weaker, so we need a TEAM player on the field.
  5. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,913 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    What did you want him to do when he isn't even out there? If you want to play that game then what have you done for the team lately? You weren't playing either.

Man I love your crazy cheerleading but sometimes you get so wrapped up in emotion that your logic must be stuffed up your ass somewhere. Go locate it OK. Are we weaker without him? Probably so but last night we weren't. Zach Miller did a nice job of showing up as that backup receiving TE everyone around here has been whining about all spring long.

He got into a scrape again in practice which is getting to be a bad habit with him and if he'd have let it go at that everything would have been OK but he didn't. So they suspended him both to give him time to simmer down and to make a point that things aren't gonna be done his way. Take all of that away and he's still the same guy whose knocking on the door of a Pro Bowl season.

God damn it's not like he got picked up on a drug but or for beating his wife or kids. The guy needs sometime to figure out why he reacts the way he does and figure out how to control that. What's funny is your negative emotions are just as bad as his when you post like this. You're finding the same faults in him that your showing yourself.
  6. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +207 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    418ß
    Thanks for the pop psychoanalysis of me.

Dude I know when your not getting any pussy ... you stray off topic and go into attack mode.

Usually you'll do this after you see I get a negatve feedback and you pile on.

Its just your nature, Ive learned to work around it.

And yer geting buzzed ... I know you that good Soul.

All I ever said was Bennett better watch out while he's pouting because people are stepping up in the likes of Miller and Rosario ... thats it.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,472 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    911ß
    The Bennett thing was so unnecessary, and most of us are just frustrated it happened. I'll bet this will all be okay soon. I can't imagine Bennett is going to fail to get with the Trestman program. It's just a bump in the road.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,913 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Jackie I have no need to psychoanalyze you. I'd get lost crawling around inside of that head of yours. Too many dark corners and knee deep blue and orange confetti? Un uh. Besides it far easier to deal with the obvious than the mysterious.

My getting laid or not has nothing to do with you so if anyone's wandering off topic it's you but then you ordinarily do so what else is new? Oh, and since I don't drink any more exactly what am I getting buzzed on? I suppose it could be weed these days since it's legal out there now but that wouldn't make me attack you would it?

You can't analyze me any better than you can Bennett. Maybe if you'd comment just once on the known facts rather than what your emotions imagine are facts you wouldn't post what you do. Trestman said he may be back as early as today and in any event they can't suspend him for more than four weeks anyway and he's still owed guaranteed money so despite the play of Miller (which I was quite pleased to see) it's pretty doubtful Bennett won't be back fairly soon unless for whatever reason they can find someone who'll trade for him. I think that's unlikely.

So to summarize you don't really know whether I'm getting laid or not, you aren't correct about me getting buzzed and you haven't the foggiest idea about whether Bennett is pouting or he simply hasn't met all of the conditions Trestman set for his return. Those are facts and anything else is "just your imagination" and last time I looked you ain't the Temptations either.

Here, have one on me. In fact have 'em both. :cheers:
  9. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,146 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    517ß
    I'm not impatient about this, because this timeline is exactly what I suspected "indefinite" meant. IMO Trestman had no choice but to suspend him through Friday's game, or else he gets not respect going forward.

If we haven't heard anything else by Tuesday, then I begin to wonder. Not until then.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +207 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    418ß
    With Bennett and Miller we have the two TE set.

Which gives us more Receiving options then should be legally allowed in the NFL.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,913 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß

There, he done "pouting" now and all is forgiven. Trestman said he might be back as early as today and he is. Peace.