I thought you guys might enjoy this -New Phil Emery Presser

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BradMustersGhost, Sep 2, 2013.

1. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +226 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Discusses the current make-up of our team and his philosophy behind constructing this year's 53-man roster. I thought it was an interesting, albeit brief, press conference as we head into the season. I really like this guy. I am confident that he is going to build at least one Super Bowl champion while in Chicago. Anyway, here it is. Only 10 minutes long, but pretty interesting.

http://www.chicagobears.com/multime...position/f773df70-7b13-487e-837d-aa5661293869
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Tarkus

Tarkus Veteran

Ratings:
    +270 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I don't know why but I can listen to Emery for hours.

Then again...yes I do.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +226 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Glad you enjoyed it, Tarkus. I thought it was pretty informative. He is definitely a man with a plan. It's nice to have a GM in whom we actually have FAITH!!!!!
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,438 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    210ß
    The new GM and HC actually look at the media as a tool to inform their fanbase of what and why things are going on, and not as the enemy that is trying to cost them their job. It's refreshing to listen to both of them actually take time out of their day to try and educate their fans about what and why they are doing things, instead of chiding them for being ignorant.
    • Like Like x 5
  5. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,438 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    210ß
    Just got done listening to it, a few things I noticed:
    *He knew that there was a lot of turnover and a lot of talk of that turnover so he got out in front and looked at other teams and how they need to do a better job drafting so they can retain more. He owns that last year was a bad draft and that they need more like this year, where 9 made the roster
    *He mentions HE has to do better about getting more draft picks, I think that tells everyone he was interested in NOT standing pat this year, and will be more agressive in getting picks in the following years.
    *Huge props to Emery for him celebrating the vets and their careers as well as congratulating the new guys for making the team. He even mentions he was in the ATL room when they decided to let Garza go b/c he didn't have an ACL and the thought his career was over; and then said they made a huge mistake. Can you imagine the previous regime ever admitting faults or mistakes, even if it was on another team?
    • Like Like x 5
  6. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +226 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I agree riczaj01, well said!
  7. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +984 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    20ß
    I agree, Ric. The first 2 points stood out to me most.

Without specifically saying it, he acknowledged that last years draft was not as good as it should have been--much of which I still blame on Lovie and JA's holdover scouting team still having way too much influence. Shea was not a good pick for a 4-3 team (DeCastro WAS THE PICK there). Hardin and Rodriguez were wasted "nice try's". McCoy was gone in months. It will end up being a decent college haul if Jeffery, Frey, Brown, and Joe Anderson produce as 2 draftees and 2 udfas. But nothing spectacular and we need consistently better than "so-so" to be a 10+ win team year in/year out.

This years college haul was much better as it looks now very early on. Phil was very upfront about wanting to trade down for more picks but simply found no takers. Which isn't surprising given how weak this 1st round draft class was outside of OL. Truthfully, it sucked. The QBs and RBs in particular sucked (there was only 1 taken total and Manuel was a major reach pick by a desperate franchise). The WRs and DLs weren't much better. Many of them had thin college resumes with only "one big year" on their records. And a lot of these guys went way higher than Kyle Long. But given the lack of numbers, Emery landed some promising picks and udfas.

Consider Dante Rosario the first pick of the 2014 draft (a 7th) in effect. I know it's only a 7th, but not sure that he couldn't have gotten a similar player via FA or waivers without giving up a pick at all. At least he's uninjured as far as we know.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,816 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    75ß
    I agree Ric. I really appreciate this kind of interaction with the sports media, because the sports media is OUR direct representative with the HC and GM. When they open up and seriously consider/answer questions then it's showing respect for US, the fans. And we (the fans) spend the money that drives everything in the NFL, from TV contracts, team paraphernalia & tickets - without the fans, there is no revenue. No NFL. Consequently I believe we deserve to know a bit about what the heck is happening - rather than getting a bunch of gibberish coach speak.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Tarkus

Tarkus Veteran

Ratings:
    +270 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Not exactly the same but it reminds me of the difference between Dollar Bill Wirtz & when Rocky took over. Just the reaching out by interaction on the fans' wants/team assessments/needs, is worth it's weight in gold.

It's obvious this new approach has raised all of our spirits...
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +3,977 / 8 / -5
    ßearz ßuckz:
    163ß
    And he wore a Bears-colored tie.

Just throwing that in there.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    " the best way to build a team ,..... is your own original talent,....your draft picks , your college free agents ,..... "

PREACH IT PHIL ! ! ! ! !

• Like Like x 1
  12. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,816 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    75ß
    • Like Like x 3
  13. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    " I need to do a better job of finding ways to gain more picks on draft day ,..etc "

SING IT,.... Phil! ! ! !
  14. Bear_40

Bear_40 Rookie

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Outstanding! Roflmao!
  15. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +436 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    24ß
    Emery 1st draft selection you also have to remember this was directed somewhat by Lovie's wants for last years team. As a GM you ask the coach what tools he needs that may be lacking from year before and you set out to fix those holes. I bet Emery saw the O-line issues last year but since he wasn't with team for less than a year he had no choice but to go with the advice of Lovie and Tice. Which they did tell him they had all they needed in the O-line and they could make it work. After that debacle and missing the playoffs it was easy decision to send those 2 clowns packing. Emery goes back to what works for him always trust the facts and address those facts then make the hard call changes that need to be made. Which is what he just did eloquently laying out his plan as to why he did what he did.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,438 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    210ß
    Can I get a HOT TUB!
    [​IMG]
  17. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +226 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    those are some skinny booties, rickzaj01. come on bro, you can do better than that! >:(
  18. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,438 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    210ß
    hey man, had to act quick w/the wife in the house, cut a man some slack, and be glad it wasn't some shaggy white dude w/his hands in the air :sick:
  19. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +913 / 3 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    208ß
    Great stuff all around. I like the transparency. I like the self evaluation. I like the fact that he admits he has areas that he needs to improve upon.
  20. jbunch14

jbunch14 Veteran

Ratings:
    +114 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Accountability is the only thing I think of. I love it, and as much as I liked Lovie, he was lacking it, at least publicly.