I want to Read and I call Bullsh!t

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Ojibway Bob, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I was surfing online during commercial breaks of the NFC championship game and found this but can't read it!!!!!

Damn Nazi Internet rules!!!

anyone able to paste this so others from different Countries like myself can read it? bullsh!t.png
  2. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,264 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    153ß
    I hate the Seahawks, but they run a good hybrid defense. Been saying forever, I personally think Pete Carroll's "elephant" position is perfect for McClellin
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Grendel

Grendel Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    By Rich Campbell, Tribune reporter
    11:16 p.m. CST, January 18, 2014

Bears general manager Phil Emery didn't know which teams would play for the NFC championship when he stated his offseason mission Jan. 2.

But now that the Seahawks and 49ers have ascended to the top of the conference, their respective defenses validate Emery's analysis of the Bears' historically-bad unit and his plan to rebuild it.

"It was not about, 'Is it D-line, linebacker, safety?'" Emery said that day. "It's about finding the best playmakers, the guys who can make a dynamic difference to our defense."

In this offensive era of the NFL, the Seahawks and 49ers have proven that defense's place in the winning formula is secure.

Their differences in scheme and approach don't hinder the results. The Seahawks run a 4-3, the 49ers run a 3-4, and both are effective. So how have they done it?

"It's always the athletes," said Howie Long, Hall of Fame defensive lineman and current Fox Sports analyst.

Examine the defensive depth charts for both teams in Sunday's NFC championship game, and you will find some of the most physically gifted players in the league.

The Seahawks, best in the NFL this season at 4.42 yards allowed per play, have three Pro Bowlers in their secondary: cornerback Richard Sherman and safeties Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor.

Coach Pete Carroll's philosophy includes big cornerbacks who are physical and who can run. Locating players with that combination of size and speed is every NFL scout's goal, and the Seahawks have succeeded.

In discussing Thomas, Long drew a comparison to former Ravens great Ed Reed.

"From a range standpoint and a ball skill standpoint, Earl Thomas is in that category," said Long, whose son, Kyle, plays right guard for the Bears. "He covers so much ground, both in run support and pass coverage, he allows them the ability to be aggressive."

In front of that secondary is a front seven that ranked fifth in the NFL in sacks per pass attempt. Carroll stocked his defense with several pass rushers who are linebacker/end hybrids. Michael Bennett, brother of Bears tight end Martellus, had 81/2 sacks in the regular season. Cliff Avril had eight. By comparison, Julius Peppers led the Bears with 71/2.

"When you look at Seattle and San Francisco, those teams are so good in their front seven, and they get pressure on the quarterback," said Jeff Saturday, a former All-Pro Colts center and currently an ESPN analyst. "They harass you. In the run game, they do so many things to disrupt the timing on it."

The 49ers' front seven is one of the most physically imposing in the league. It's the main reason why they ranked eighth in the NFL in yards allowed per play (4.97).

Three of their linebackers — Patrick Willis, NaVorro Bowman and Ahmad Brooks — made the Pro Bowl this season, and the other, Aldon Smith, did last year.

"Their linebackers and defensive line are so fast, so physical and very intelligent, experienced football players," Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson told reporters in Seattle. "You think about their linebackers … Willis and Bowman, I don't think they can get any faster."

Smith tied Bowman for the team lead with 81/2 sacks despite playing only 11 games partly because of a month he spent in substance-abuse rehab. He returned in November.

"Teams that want to block Aldon Smith one-on-one are whistling Dixie," 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh told reporters Wednesday.

Getting similarly talented players into Bears uniforms is the personnel department's challenge this offseason. That requires savvy allocation of limited salary cap and draft resources. In that regard, there's a significant difference between the Bears and the NFC finalists. Bears quarterback Jay Cutler signed a contract extension this month that is scheduled to count $22.5 million against the 2014 salary cap. The club could lower that number by converting some of that to a bonus and prorating it over several years, but Cutler is expected to have a relatively high cap number in any scenario.

By comparison, Wilson and 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick counted approximately $2.1 million combined against their teams respective caps this season because they're still on their rookie contracts.

"The reason their defenses have money invested and they're so effective, their quarterbacks haven't gotten the chance to get paid," Saturday said. "But they will. Their payday is coming."

So the Bears must be correct in their player evaluations in free agency and the draft, and develop young talent from within.

"You get guys who are aggressive, fundamentally sound, guys who fit your system and have that certain mentality about playing defense, and you build from the front to back," said Willie McGinest, a three-time Super Bowl champion who's now an NFL Network analyst.

McGinest finished his career with the Browns, where he played outside linebacker for defensive coordinator Mel Tucker, who currently holds that post with the Bears.

And in assessing the Bears' defense, McGinest endorsed Tucker as the right coach to help get the most out of whatever personnel Emery and his scouting department add.

"I have a lot of respect for (him)," McGinest said. "He needs an opportunity to get the defense in place. He knows how to coach defense. I mean, trust me."

rcampbell@tribune.com

Twitter @Rich_Campbell

Copyright © 2014 Chicago Tribune Company, LLC
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Thank You Grendel and Welcome
  5. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,480 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    299ß
    so 6 of the probowlers for the NFC on the D game from 2 teams, 3 cb's from Sea and 3 LB's from SF, that's impressive as it gets.

huh so players inside the Bears, and now former players outside of the Bears all endorse Tucker; again, saying he didn't succeed in jax/cle and therefore cannot succeed here, say that out loud, and then tell me the last time a ANYONE succeeded w/those teams.
  6. ZifanQ

ZifanQ Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +122 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I get the same message, but you just have to use a free VPN and then it's no biggie.
  7. matsellah

matsellah Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,261 / 7 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I think I know what he meant. But that's not how it reads.