I will never understand some fans

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, Mar 11, 2014.

1. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,167 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,584ß
    I will never understand some fans. I will never understand what they really want. The hits keep on coming. Urlacher allowed to walk last year. That was brutal. Fans going off on management for "disrespecting the face of the franchise" even though the Bears are the only team to offer him a contract. They say that the Bears should have brought him back, even though they offered him the only contract offer he received, and paid him top dollar.

Just when you think the torment is over and the fans have gotten over themselves, the Bears do not re-sign Hester, they cut Peppers and it looks as though Tillman is all but gone.

Fans are lamenting their departure and calling out Trestman and Emery for "not showing loyalty" to the best players the Bears have had in recent years. One person even said "I don't care how bad they are now, I want them back".

Seriously? Do you want to keep a team of players you like, or a team that can win? If you want to play the loyalty game, and keep a team together for sentimental reasons, do not expect to win a championship. If you want to win a championship, you cannot afford to be sentimental when building a team. You cannot afford to keep a team together because you like them if you want to win.

When building a team, sometimes you have to make the choices that will be criticized by the fans. You have to make the tough choices, even ones that you may not want to make, even though its whats best for the team. Sometimes, you have to go against what your heart says and do what is best for the team.

Urlacher, you did great for us. Now shut up, go away. Fans, stop lamenting his not being here. Bears (whether they really wanted him back or not) gave him the only offer he would receive. In the end, HE chose to walk away from the Bears. They may have pushed him out the door, but it was still open and he shut it.

Hester.... he is a shell of his former self, and the Bears could not afford to bring him back. He did great things for the Bears, and I will truly miss him. But he cost too much to bring back, and he lost a step in the return game. Actually, he lost a couple steps.

Peppers.... yeah. Last season made this decision easy. He dropped off big time. Was it injury, was it being heart broken over the loss of Lovie? Who knows. But I do know that we were warned by Panther fans that he tends to take plays and games off. I never believed that until he practically took the whole 2013 season off. He was not worth the 18M he was set to make, and he refused to take a pay cut to what the Bears though would be right. So long Pep. Good luck.

Tillman, I loved everything he did. But he is getting older and I have always been a firm believer of saying goodbye a year early rather than a year late. He was set for another big pay, one where he might get over paid. He will go down as the greatest CB in Chicago Bears history. I wish him nothing but the best where ever he lands (likely Tampa). I will truly miss Tillman more than any of the other Bears, for he was the heart and soul of that turnover defense that was so successful in Chicago. Urlacher may have been the defensive captain and leader, but Tillman made it work as well as it did.

I guess that ends my "rant". I just wish some fans would make up their minds. Do they want Emery to build a team that can win, or do they want a team filled with their sentimental favorites, even if they are no longer the star players you will always remember them to be.

For me, I would rather have a team that can win. If they kept Urlacher, Peppers, Hester and Tillman, they would not be a winning team.
    • Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,630 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    689ß
    It's not like we haven't seen all of these moves happening, anyway. Hell, I don't think there's a bigger Hester fan on this site, cause I got his autograph during TC HIS ROOKIE SEASON, so I'm kind of blindly loyal to him, but the way I'm viewing it is that these players all had their chance at a SB, and it wasn't Phil Emery that robbed them of their chance *Cough*Lovie Smith*Cough*Rex Grossman*Cough* Jerry Angelo.
  3. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +982 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    567ß
    With the house cleaning going on in the defense, how can NOT call it a loyalty issue?

I mean, to me it seems like the Bears are having the mindset of "take it or leave it". I am getting the vibe that they were resistant to the new coaching staff.

Tillman would be the only one that shocks me. He is linked to Chicago like no other Bear. He's not a complainer, and is a class act. So he would be the only one to put a hole in my thought. However, he loves Lovie.

I just think Tillman leaving would be a tough decision for him.

Everyone else though, if you don't perform, GOOD-BYE!

Hell, look at what happened to Ditka! Mike McCaskey sold all the players from Ditka. So how could Ditka continue his success? We fired Ditka! Think about it.
  4. BearDownUnder

BearDownUnder Veteran

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    37ß
    The thing with Urlacher is we made him a bit of a low ball offer I think. That was disappointing. We should've explained it better that the cap squeeze was on and we had DJ Williams available at a minimum. And probably should've said we just can't offer Urlacher a contract that makes it worth his time to play. It might have been more professional.

Finding the balance between respectful and ruthless is hard in this league. I think maybe the Patriots might have slipped too far towards ruthless and it's helped them make a heck of playoffs but they haven't got over the line.

Peppers is an easy one. If he wasn't settling on a fair pay cut he was gone. Hester the same. Tillman is a difficult one but he's had a great run. I'm excited to see who we get at CB if it's not Peanut. But it will be sad to see him go.
  5. Loki

Loki Assault Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +3,747 / 17 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    829ß
    Fans will calm down after they see what those players have been replaced with. IF... IF... they are replaced with someone equally as good, or better, they'll move on and forget about it. If not, they'll continue to whine. Basically, if the Bears want the fans to move on (and even if other fans want those fans to move on), you're gonna have to win to make it happen.

Example: The f'ing non-stop whining and bitching about Farve only lasted 1 or 2 games after Rodgers took the field.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Ski-Whiz

Ratings:
    +982 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    567ß
    Urlacher was getting REALLY slow.

Urlacher outstayed his welcome because while his numbers were decent, they should have been better.

His age snuck up on him. His injuries became more frequent. I think it was the right move.
  7. BearDownUnder

BearDownUnder Veteran

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    37ß
    The way Williams started the season there wouldn't be a fan who would argue that Williams on a minimum deal wasn't a smarter move than Urlacher on 4 million. But then Williams and everyone else got injured. Although DJ was probably less of an injury risk than Urlacher with his knee.

I just think the NFL is a lot about perception with fans. They could've sold the story a bit better with Urlacher and being a bit more straight forward and honest. Sometimes by dodging the subject you just make it worse. Case in point Steve Smith in Carolina right now.
  8. Ski-Whiz

Ratings:
    +982 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    567ß
    I agree.

I honestly blame Lovie for not having depth at key positions. There are no under-study. Never has been during Lovie's era. I honestly can only think of Benson as the only player who was brought in to replace someone. I mean someone to develop etc.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,167 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,584ß
    Unless I have missed it, the Bears never really gave their side of the Urlacher story. All we have to go off of is Uralacher's side. Bears never refuted it, so some fans think it is the 100% truth. However who is to say if the Bears are not telling their side because it makes a legendary Bear look like an even bigger asshat than he is making himself look on his show.
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Ski-Whiz

Ratings:
    +982 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    567ß
    What I think he means is that they didn't say anything. Obviously they aren't going to be negative about URlacher.

I still stand by my opinion that he tried to hang around too long. He was a dead man walking. Honestly. His movements looked terrible.

The best way to attack urlacher? run AT him...
    • Like Like x 1
  11. yttocs

yttocs Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    44ß
    Older players that got the PAY DAY, then decline in skill, but still want money, WRONG. You care about the TEAM then take less, teach your replacement and get a few years more. If not see ya.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Ski-Whiz

Ratings:
    +982 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    567ß
    Well said!
  13. EternalChampion

EternalChampion Veteran

Ratings:
    +179 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    225ß
    Absolutely. Brian was getting destroyed at the point of attack by any and everyone not wearing a Bears jersey his last season. He can try and play the disrespect card but he was hurting the team. The only thing that surprised me was that they offered him anything at all...they should have taken him out back and put him out of his misery Old Yeller style.
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  14. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,058 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,783ß
    Exactly. We're not running a charity ward here. The players were rewarded with a lot of money over the years. We, as fans, better hope Emery/Trestman put team first - over mortgaging our future by overpaying players with diminished skills. I just want to win here in Chicago. Good for Emery.
  15. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +229 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    626ß
    2013 ... The WORST DEFENSE in BEARS franchise history.

Was it because Urls was gone ? Or the whole Defense was gone ?

Who was on that Defense after Urls was gone ?

Theres no right or wrong answers here. Somthing fell apart.

HALAS HALL has to put it together again and as fast as they put an Offensive Line together.

First day of F.A. , nothing but Defense. Looks like we are off to the right start.

Is Houston ,Mundy , and Senn off to the Pro-Bowl ? Probably not.

Can they fill in ? Lets hope so.
  16. Cutthroat6

Cutthroat6 Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    19ß
    I've spoke to some Bears fans that flat out say that if Urlacher was on the team this past season we would for sure be deep in the playoffs, I swear I literally wanted to slap the shit out them, they were so dead set that BU was the sole reason we were in shambles. BUSINESS IS BUSINESS it will forever be! Loyalty is just a plus
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Ski-Whiz

Ratings:
    +982 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    567ß
    I agree. For instance, when Lovie was fired, a lot of people couldn't understand that. Especially since he had 10 wins that season.

I often wonder, how many Bears fans actually watch the WHOLE game?? Sorry to say I watch the whole game win or lose.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    37ß
    It's a "Resistance To Change" issue with many fans. They are used to seeing their favorite player every week and when it's time for him to go they just cannot move on. Look at NE for example. They change key players like we change our sox. They must have some really mad fans but the results of winning trump their personel moves most of the time as they are almost always in the playoffs.
    ;)
    • Like Like x 2
  19. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +935 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    781ß
    Amen! I had a discussion with a buddy of mine the other day who just keeps on coming back to the same old crap...we gotta bring this guy back, how could we let this guy go...you can't release Peppers. You can't bring everyone back and you can't afford to hold onto to players who are towards the end. Dallas just cut Ware...Tuck has won two SuperBowls for the Giants and he won't play another down for them, Jarad Allen is gone from the Vikings...this is what happens to older players who are no longer worth their contracts...they get let go. If Tillman would rather finish his career playing for Lovie rather than the team that drafted him and the city that showed him love...so be it(although they just signed Verner to a great deal so I can't really see Tillman going there unless/until they release Revis)
  20. JJ-30

JJ-30 Veteran

Ratings:
    +167 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    57ß
    When your team is near the bottom of the NFL in Defense then it's time to move on from some of the players you have.
    • Like Like x 1