I worry about the run-blocking. The OL needs to improve in this area.

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, May 25, 2014.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,776 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,378ß
    My #1 worry on offense this year is the run-blocking by the offensive line. While the pass blocking has improved, the run blocking was still not too good last year. Forte (as always) made a lot of yards on his own. But often he got very little help from the OL. In short yardage situations we often just got stuffed. I'm hoping the OL can get better this year.
  2. kevperro

kevperro Veteran

Ratings:
    +115 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    130ß
  3. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +837 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    895ß
    That's a concern but #1 for me is an injury to TE Bennett. We have no proven back up. Still hoping Emery will pull a rabbit out of the hat. I am watching Finley from GB if he can get healthy he may be a nice fit
  4. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    The trouble with Finley, other than his injury, is that he won't be of any help in the running game. He's as much a very big WR as he is a TE. If Onobun can't hack it and we don't find any help coming from the waiver wire then it'll either be Mulligan or Britton as a blocking TE and Rosario will be the HBack or Move TE.

I think with another year under their belts as a unit the run blocking will improve. A lot of that is just timing and coordinated movement. Plus the entire right side of the line was composed of two rookies who will undoubtedly be better this year. But yeah they do need to focus on improving there.
  5. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +216 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    170ß
    If we can get Brian DLP instead of Garza in the middle I think we would see an improvement. I am interested to see how that plays out. I am still surprised we got him.
  6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,776 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,378ß
    That's a worry too. Good receiving TE's are a hot commodity now, and hard to come by. Blocking TE's are a dime-a-dozen. Stone hand TE's like Fendi Onobun (who can't catch OR block) are pretty easy to get though. Other than Bennett, our receiving TE's are not much better than the Lovie Smith days.
  7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,776 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,378ß
    Garza is an interesting guy to watch run block. He's more of a skill player. I've seen him get downfield to the second level and execute beautiful blocks that are amazing. But then you'll see him get blown up repeatedly at the LOS with that initial block. He just gets overpowered by strong DL guys. He doesn't have an ACL (hasn't for years now) and I wonder if that's the reason he can't muscle guys around. I've said this a few times over the years.....he's a physical specimen when you see him close up at training camp. His body fat must be pretty low for a 310 pound guy. He's 6'2" and 310 pounds. Yet, he gets overpowered a lot at the LOS. Hard to figure. He does move well for a big guy though.

He's one of the best to sign autographs at camp for the kids. A real nice guy. Class act all the way.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: May 25, 2014
  8. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +216 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    549ß
    Its going to go to running TE's in the very near future.
  9. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +216 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    170ß
    Agree that he follows through and plays through to the end. (It really bugs me when you see a player doing nothing when the play is active. That is how the Packers walked that TD into the end zone. ). On the LOS it can be really bad when they line up on Garza.

I have not seen him interact with the fans. It's nice to hear he makes the time.
  10. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +216 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    549ß
    tbear1 ,

Not a big Conte fan are you ?
  11. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +216 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    170ß
    I was actually thinking about our linebackers watching Aaron Rogers tell Boykins to jog into the end zone in the second quarter of the game. The fumble-pass that our defense neglected to cover.....ugh.
  12. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    I think Garza has one more year in him and that de la Puente was brought in a year early as backup and to learn the blocking calls. Whether or not Garza can hold the point is less important than his ability to make the line calls right now. He's the cement that holds that line together and he's not as bad at run blocking as some think.

I don't care who you are when they put a 330lb NT one yard from you head and you have to snap the ball before firing out of your stance you're gonna lose some of those battles. We aren't a power blocking line and Garza for all of his size and strength is more of a finesse guy than a power guy. He's done a much better job taking over for Olin than most thought he would.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,408 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,589ß
    Would have liked to see Garza be able to retire last year, he's been brutal for years, and last year w/much better talent around him was merely okay, he is like Conte and Wright of the OL. But at the end of the day he should be okay for one more year, and if not at least they have BDLP

But 2nd TE is more of a concern for me too. Thereis NO talent behind Bennett, unless Fendi is able to turn it around, 2 blockers isn't going to cut it if Bennett is hurt.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,776 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,378ß
    +1

I wonder if you can teach "hands" to a guy who is on his 6th NFL team in 5 years? Can you really teach a guy to catch a football at this late stage? If he can't catch, then Cutler won't throw to him anyway. He'll be dead to Jay when he's on the field. Just needlessly taking up a spot on the field.
  15. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,408 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,589ß
    You can when he is in his 5th year of playing football.
  16. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +837 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    895ß
    Gambling on Fendi is like gambling on Fales to replace Cutter in my mind. The risk is way to large
  17. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,408 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,589ß
    I don't see it either, but I'm not going to question Trestman on it, dude completely turned around an inept Offense(and we are talking multiple decades) in his first year, if he sees something in Fales/Fendi he gets the right to see it through.
    • Like Like x 2
  18. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +837 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    895ß
    They thought the defense would be ok last year too. Not talking starters here in Fendi and Fales, we are talking the same thing that happened to the defense last year. I know you can only do so much in a short period of time, But TE is a big concern with me
  19. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,408 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,589ß
    TE is a huge concern, but the D last year is a fluke, you rarely lose ALL of your key starters, and a few of their backups; not to mention have a potential starter retire right before TC.

It would take another long shot for the Bears O to suffer those kind of losses; the one benefit is that while the backup TE's aren't going to be receiving threats it might well mean more 3 or 4 WR sets, and the WR core is good enough to make up for the fact that the TE's could only block.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. jbunch14

jbunch14 Veteran

Ratings:
    +175 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    93ß
    Look at what Jennings did a few years ago. He couldn't make an interception to save his life. He took the offseason and worked his tail off on the JUGS machine, and then comes back and has 8 picks I believe. Fendi has amazing athleticism. I think staying in the system and working all of last year and the offseason will be a huge leg up for him. The coaching staff obviously like what they see, and I could see him making a big impact this year.
    • Like Like x 4