I worry about the run-blocking. The OL needs to improve in this area.

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, May 25, 2014.

1. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +578 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    284ß
    How many teams have starting caliber back up tight ends?
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,986 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,001ß
    none, only NE when they brought in Gronk and the killer, Gronk is always inj'd, and the killer is in jail, so now they don't even have that.

But to be fair, the 2 guys sitting behind Bennett are barely backup worthy; Rosario shouldn't have been brought back, and if he was then Mulligan wasn't a good option behind him.
  3. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +578 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    284ß
    I don't disagree...I was just pointing it out.
  4. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,986 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,001ß
    I'm w/BS regarding wanting them to draft a TE, or bring in a better option, but the problem is the team apparently REALLY likes Fendi and his upside, so it's just not going to happen, yet.
  5. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +739 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    706ß
    Ravens: Dennis Pita and in FA picked up Owen Daniels from Houston ( he is older but solid starter over the years)
    Eagles: Brent Celek (been there for yrs) last yr drafted Zack Ertz. (#1 TE in draft 2013)
    Bengals : Gresham, back up Tyler Eifert (#2 TE in draft 2013)
    49ers: Vernon Davis and Vance McDonald. (2nd round pick 2013)
    Lions : Brandon Pettigrew and Eric Ebron. (#1 TE this yr)

I agree not every team has solid backups, but its not just a NE thing either. I doubt McDonald could step in equally for Vernon Davis but I would think the others all could. I would take any of those backups over any of ours. Guess I am more nervous about it than most, I just hate to think we are risking the offense because we lack a back up TE. I hope Fendi Onobun is greatly improved, but I also would hope we would have a back up capable of stepping in and allowing us to effectively run the offense and would not count on hope. I really was hoping we would have picked up Owen Daniels in Free Agency, I love what we did but much like a little kid at x-mas, I wanted one more present at TE.
  6. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,986 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,001ß
    So roughly 5 out of 32, or 1/6th of the NFL teams are doing this, but McDonald and Daniels are not going to step in, Daniels cannot stay on the field, like the rest of Houston. But both at least attempted.

Again the backup plan will be to run more WR's and less TE passing routes if Bennett goes down.
  7. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +739 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    706ß
    I believe Owen Daniels would step right in, if I remember correctly he made the Pro Bowl a few years back while in Houston. Definitely can catch the ball. As far as your vision for the back up plan, I am not a fan of changing what you do because of an injury. I am a fan of having a back up in place or as Seattle coined the phrase, "Next man up." Good teams do not need to change there philosophy when a player goes down. I do not believe we will see many 4 WR sets. Could one of the WR slide to TE, potentially as New Orleans uses Jimmy Graham more split out like a WR, however playing a WR like this would probably have to be Marshall or Jeffries as Wilson at 200 pounds is not big enough. Thus we hurt the WR position.

Can you please forward me a copy of that, I must have been left off the mailing list. :rofl2:
  8. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,986 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,001ß
    Daniels has made 2 pro bowls, 08 and 12. And has missed multiple games more often then he's played 16 games; in 8 seasons he's only played 16 twice, I think he's got Cutler beat in that regard.

lol all you want but that's the reality if Bennett goes down, they keep a blocking TE in and they move down the list to Wilson as the pass threat after Marshal/Jeffery/Forte. And again I point out that Bennett is the 4th passing option on this team, so let's not over rate his need for this team to be successful.
  9. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +578 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    284ß
    So essentially 27 other teams are in the same boat we are? Thats what I'm pointing out. I wish it weren't the case either..and I really wanted the team to draft Eiffert last year, but it is what it is. I'd rather have a capable back on the line, at rb, or other positions before TE. I can run different sets and still be effective on offense.
  10. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +192 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    361ß
    You give me a REAL CHICAGO BEARS DEFENSE ... Ill take your Offense off the field and you wont need them.

GIVE ME MY DEFENSE BACK !!! :10 1 132[1]::10 1 132[1]:
  11. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +739 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    706ß
    I suspect there are some other teams with good back ups but the 6 I listed came to mind. But yes throw another 3 or 4 in there and still less than 33% probably. Even so I worry about TE more than the Line run blocking. JMHO
  12. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,986 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,001ß
    I didn't like the Rosario or Mulligan signings BS, but it is what it is and you have to figure Emery/Trestie's have a gameplan for IF Fendi doesn't work out. Way to early to fret is all I'm saying.
  13. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +192 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    361ß
    If the Defense did not collapse we could have gotten a TE in the draft.

First things first. You could say that this is where the defense hurt the offense in the draft.

Look at the bright side : sombody went out there and got Bennett last season.

Maybe the $$ numbers wernt there to get another one like Bennett so FAR ... this year.

But its a long way to training camp so who knows ?
    • Like Like x 1
  14. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +578 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    284ß
    No we couldn't have because the only one worth drafting high went to Detoilet. Even still we would have had a more pressing need at corner and defensive tackle.
  15. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +192 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    361ß
    IF ... IF ... the defense did not tank and suck bigtime ... then we could have taken a TE.

Needs and draft picks had to be addressed on defense so offense suffered.

If our guys played to potential on defense ... and didnt disappear ... we'd have a TE in the draft.

Thats just the way the cookie crumbles.
  16. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +578 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    284ß
    Why? As I said, Ebron went at 12...so if our defense...as you imagine, didn't collapse we would be picking later than we did, NOT earlier. I still think we would have addressed defense, particularly corner and defensive tackle because we are either old or have guys coming out of their deals at the end of the season at those two positions. After CJ Friedowitz there really wasn't one worth drafting anyway, and none of the tight ends in this draft...except for maybe Niklas can block like Bennett, so I'm fine not wasting a pick on one.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    74ß
    Any chance y'all think of Finley getting a low signing deal with performance incentives? He might like a chance to prove he can still play and with us having Bennett he will have time to rest up?
  18. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,856 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,562ß
    Finley, if he can ever play again, gives us a hybrid TE/WR type but he's not really the equivalent of Bennett as an inline TE. However, Onobun is if he can overcome whatever is stopping him from realizing the potential he has. They kept him around to try and develop him so I haven't given up hope on him yet but this is his last shot at making this team or any other team I imagine.

I read a report on some of the former starters teams may be releasing this summer because of their paychecks vs their productivity and there were a few TEs on the list. It's entirely possible we may be able to pick up another one year wonder later on if the need is there. To date there just isn't anyone out there worth signing or I believe we would have. The draft wasn't exactly stocked with TEs either.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    74ß
    I think Finley got medical clearance today....i swear I read that
  20. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,378 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    784ß
    I came to the same conclusion. Hope Onobun does improve. If not, then we really don't have a decent receiving TE. And you're right, there isn't anyone out there worth signing, especially at a price we could afford. I "get it" that teams don't have two "star" TE's. I'm not saying we need to have that luxury. I am saying we should have at least 1 TE other than Bennett who can catch a football. I'll bet next year we draft one.
    • Like Like x 1