I worry about the run-blocking. The OL needs to improve in this area.

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, May 25, 2014.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    I wouldn't say "big impact" I could see him making AN impact though, depends on how much he's dedicated himself to the off season.

2. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

I sure am hoping you're right. He does have amazing athleticism. I think that's why 6 different teams gave him a chance these past 5 years. He's like Corn Wash on defense as far as being a great athlete. But that athleticism doesn't always translate into being a decent NFL football player. But I am hoping both Fendi and Cornelius Washington realize their potential this season and have a great year. Time is running out on Fendi though. If you can't learn to catch a football in 5 seasons, then chances are you are not going to learn. Those are usually players with hands of stone like K.Davis was.

• Like Like x 1
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

JABF, by all accounts I heard last year that in practices he does fine catching the ball, it's come game time he chokes it away. Again, strictly my opinion, but I think it's the idea of getting hit that bothers him more then the actual catching of the ball. Or it might just be the guy cannot handle the pressure of the crowd.

4. Chicago_66

Chicago_66
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

CornWash doesn't have to have a great season this year, in my opinion, to be worth keeping. He was a sixth rounder for a reason, we need to develop him. He needs to made some impact in rotation and show that he's improving to earn a spot, but with this line I understand if he's not pushing for a starting gig. I hope his arrow does start pointing up though, but I'm not to critical of a sixth rounder who's still trying to learn the game. Someone said in another thread we aren't going to let him sit idle for another year, that I agree with, but at the same time I'm not expecting double digit sacks or anything. I'd love for him to take a Mark Anderson roll and provide relief as a rotational pass rusher as he shores up his skill.

Corny was a football player though, Fendi was a sixth rounder in 2010 who spent his college career playing basketball. He didn't get into football until 2009 and then he wasn't heavily involved. Really he's been spending the last few years learning the basics of the game. To get your licks and bruises in the NFL is going to be a slower process than a polished guy who learned systems and their position through 4 years of college ball. This is his first team he's spent more than one season on so he's actually got some comfort within the system, something that is very huge in a players development. I'm hoping ric's guess is wrong, because it'd be a damn shame if he's afraid of the contact. You can't fix that. I'm hoping that he's just overthinking when he's in the game and he isn't able to just play, to busy thinking what do I do here? What do I do with this play? I think this offseason is really important for him, and this pre-season we'll whether or not he'll be a Bear for the long haul. I really hope so, working down in Florida with Jay, Marshall & Co has to be huge for him as well. If him and Cutler developed a rapport down there that can help him in a big way.

• Like Like x 1
  5. soulman

soulman
    Expand Collapse
    Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Excellent point and in Onobun's case it isn't about having "hands of stone" because the report from camp and OTAs last year was that he was catching everything they threw at him. I still think that once he got in the game his nerves got the best of him. He was pushing too hard and lost his focus. That's an area of his game that can be fixed and I assume Marshall and his buddy Bennett have been working with him on it.

He's got mad physical skills and he can block so all they need to do is get him focusing on his route adjustments and looking the ball in. He actually made some nice catches last preseason. It was the easy ones he dropped including one that would have been a sure TD. It's like Conte though. Some choose to only focus on the bad plays and not the good ones.

The bottom line is that it's his last shot. If he can't cut it now at his age his NFL career is over. That alone should be a motivator. If it works he was worth the time invested and if not we didn't lose anything we already had and we move on. Onobun is as good a prospect as anyone we'd have been likely to draft.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Chicago_66

Chicago_66
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Great point soul, I'll take Onobun over any rookie we could have drafted to develop. Unlike a rook, he already knows the system coming into this year and has all the physical traits you need. Pretend he's a late rounder everyone wanted and lets get the season started.

7. short faced bear

short faced bear
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    DBS Writer

I don't think I would be too "worried". If it was Tice, Webb and co. I would be in downright panic mode. Long and Mills coming back with experience, DLP waiting if Garza stumbles, things could be much, much worse. Would like us to perhaps grow some OL depth UDFA style someday. Definitely would like more goal line punch but I'll take what the OL did from last season and build upon it.

For pre season fun put Corn Wash in at TE. I don't see him sticking around and it sure can't hurt.

8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

K.Davis was the same way at camp. I'd watch him at camp and would be so impessed (the guy was a physical specimen at TE for sure too). Soul, I'd watch him make circus catches at TC and be stunned by how good of a receiver he was. But when he had to catch "for real" during the season, he dropped too many passes. I realize Onobun isn't necessarily K.Davis, and he may do much better. I hope so. Maybe it's just a "head problem" rather than anything else.

9. strockrocks

strockrocks
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

I don't really like when bad football players (K Davis), have Superbowl rings.

10. BSBEARS

BSBEARS
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

The draft did not set up well for us to get a TE but accepting Fendi with no competition is dangerous. We did not pursue any in FA and I hope it does not haunt us. Its will not take a repeat of injuries like last year to multiple players to make the offense look average. If Bennett goes down and is out for any period of time teams will not have to worry about any of the remaining TE's, so we they will have an extra player. Could we use a 4 WR set, maybe if we can block the extra rushers they will send and then we risk losing Cutler.

Its possible Emery thought he could get someone in the draft but it did not work out, I am still hopeful he has that rabbit up his sleeve or this could be a major gaffe allowing 1 player to effect the total offense.

• Like Like x 1