I worry about the run-blocking. The OL needs to improve in this area.

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, May 25, 2014.

1. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +192 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    361ß
    Then its back to what I posted ... and heres the Quandry : If the defense didnt collapse and we didnt have to make up for it ,

then we could have drafted a TE.

However the opinion is that there were no TE's worth drafting in our rounds used up by defense picks.

So ... now what ? You cant have your cake and eat it too.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,375 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    778ß
    I'm thinking we just need to wait until next year because we couldn't fix everything this year. I'll bet we get a solid TE in the draft next year.
  3. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +572 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    278ß
    Look...at the end of the day if not having a back up tight end to replace Bennet is what keeps us from the Super Bowl...then in my opinion we don't belong in the Super Bowl.
    • Like Like x 3
  4. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    24ß
    When Ed Dickson was available he could have given us a guy that could have filled this role perfectly.

That is Bridge under the water now :).

The Pathers have both Greg Olsen, and Ed Dickson, and I bet they have a very good season with the TEs this year.
  5. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +572 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    278ß
    I like Ed Dickson and he would have come cheap. And I bet the tight ends have decent years in Carolina too...mainly because there is no other receiving threat there! Hah!
  6. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +192 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    361ß
    You know its always fuck the Packers ... Minnie andDeeeetroit should be fucked even more.

Nobodys going to hand this to us in the NFC North.

And seriously ... how good we match up against the NFC North ,

is how good we take care of business in the NFC as a whole.

The AFC ? Thats automatic until not proved wrong ... but outsmarted.

We can do this.
  7. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +572 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    278ß
  8. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,977 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    991ß
    Butkus, I think that's a damn fine point, as good as bennett is, he's the 4th target on this team, if his backup is so important to the teams success then the team has failed beyond the backup TE.
  9. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +363 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    52ß
    I didn't know that Onobun played with Bennett on their high school basketball team. Lets hope having a year to talk with Bennett and work with Marshall & Co down in Florida has led to Fendi's transformation from basketball player to football player. If he could develop into a threat our offense would be dripping with talent, some pretty damn tall talent at that. I'm excited to see him in the preseason where I'm sure he'll get ample playing time.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +738 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    705ß
    Not sure I would call Bennett the fourth target on the team. That is dependent on the situation. In 3rd and 3 situations one could argue he is the no. 1 target to get the short yards. It all depends on the defense scheme and situation. If the offense is trying to get a 15 + yard gain then yeah he is probably the 4th option. If less than 4 yards he may be in the top 2 or even 1.

As I stated before if we lose Bennett we lose a part of the offense and that is never good. I do not believe 4 wr sets will replace the things Bennett brings. If it was such a great option we would see it with Bennett healthy.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,375 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    778ß
    I'm not disagreeing with that, but we found out last season that depth is important to a team. Many teams are Super Bowl quality in September, but by November are not even playoff caliber teams due to poor depth at important positions. The TE position has evolved into an important component of a playoff quality offense. Can you still be a solid offense without a component like a receiving TE? Sure. But it would definitely help to have 1 other guy on the roster who can catch a football as a TE. We "hope" Fendi Onobun will learn to catch a football and not be K.Davis-II, but who knows. Every year we thought K.Davis would grow a pair of hands, but it never happened.
  12. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +572 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    278ß
    I just don't worry about that as much. We found out last season depth on the line is important. You can get away with not having a great tight end. Like I said...if tight end is what keeps us from the Super Bowl....we don't belong in the Super Bowl. I think Trestman can do without it, and I think if he thought it was imperative to his offenses success he would have made a move to have a similar back up to Bennett at tight end.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. jbunch14

jbunch14 Veteran

Ratings:
    +161 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    62ß
    Fendi's my BOY!! I'm telling you guys, if he can work out the issues in his head with catching, he is going to be a great addition to the team. He showed last pre-season some of his abilities. All he needs in consistency with the catch.
  14. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,977 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    991ß
    i'm talking game in game out who is cutler going to throw to. And Bennett is a FAR 4th option. 3rd and 3, ya MAYBE he's the #1 option, but that's out of convience for him being here, not b/c the team HAS to go there. It's not like he's the only one that could win a jump ball on a short route. The Bears have 2 other WR's that do that; and Forte's been known to take a quick pass out of the back for short yardage also.

Saying he's not the 4th option b/c of a 3rd and 3 is saying Bush wasn't the 2nd rb b/c on 4th and 1 he got to come in.

Bennett had 10 less rec's then the RB last year; who had 15 less then the 2nd WR. Bennett was and still will be the 4th wheel; and he's got Wilson looking at taking some rec's from him b/c he's big and fast.
  15. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,375 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    778ß
    Regarding the TE situation, it is an integral part of the threat that you provide opposing defenses. The more high-quality weapons that you force opposing defenses to have to account for - the better your entire offense can perform. We saw this in the first years of having B.Marshall. In key situations it was pretty easy to shut him down, and even pic Cutler. We were a one-trick pony and opposing defenses in the NFL shut down one-trick pony teams no matter how good the 1 pony is. Now we have more high-quality weapons and having a solid receiving TE is one of those weapons. Even if a guy like Bennett isn't catching the ball on a critically important play - he is having an effect upon our success. Teams have to account for him. More importantly, Jay Cutler, has one more quality option on key plays. Having a K.Davis type guy out there may not mean we're doomed. Heck we survived the K.Davis years of dropped balls. But there is no question a modern offense in the NFL benefits by having the receiving TE option available. Just like we could survive with only B.Marshall - and no Alshon Jeffery. But don't kid yourself, AJ is makes us better - we have more than just one weapon to pressure defenses and to help Cutler keep the chains moving.

More high-quality weapons > than fewer weapons. Having another receiving TE, rather than a K.Davis stone-hands guy - is important to the team. Otherwise we don't have a backup for the position. Not a viable backup anyway. That can't be a "good thing" in my mind anyway. And I am confident we don't go into the season without a viable receiving TE backup on the roster. If Onobun has learned how to catch a football, then I'm fine with him being that guy, but I'm just seeing a replay of the K.Davis experience here. A training camp performer who becomes Mr. Stone Hands when it counts in real games.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,977 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    991ß
    Well to be fair, Cutler threw like 12 picks in 11 games last year, he wasn't difficult to pick regardless of all those weapons.

No one is saying it's not an important part, but you can make up for that part by having a 3rd and 4th WR threat, AND having a RB as an outlet; and the Bears have at least 2 of those. What is the TE doing in a pass route that a tall fast slot WR cannot do?

I think someone pointed out that like 30% of NFL teams have a legit pass catching backup, so it's not vital, and again like it or not the team is banking on Fendi being that guy. Much like a backup QB, it's just not that easy to find a TE that can catch, let alone block AND catch; and you weren't finding that in the late rounds of this draft.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +738 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    705ß
    Each player has there number called in certain plays as primary target as the play was designed to get them the ball. Look at the WR article I posted. Bennett makes the TD catch after the WR went across the middle to clear out the left side. In that case he was the #1 option.

With all the weapons we have plays are designed to take advantage of the fact the defense can not cover all the players well. Somewhere there is a mismatch. The days of old when we had one playmaker on offense and the whole world knew who we were going to throw the ball to is a not so distant memory. Just the way the defense reacts to the start of the play can change the #1 option on where to throw the ball. I am sure more plays are designed to get the ball to B. Marshall the Bennett as he is the #1 WR and If we are misunderstanding the message I will agree, but would still probably put Bennett ahead of Forte as he would be the safety valve or dump off if nothing else however Bennett plays that role as well on several plays.

Now in old school terms yes the WR#1 was always the first option, then WR#2, etc. This is a huge difference when having an offensive minded Coach in charge. The days of Lovie and simple offenses are no longer a part of the Bears playbook.
  18. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +738 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    705ß
    Another TE would add another dynamic to the offense and 2 TE sets. It would be nice to have but the back up to Bennett in case he gets injured is more critical. Having a solid back up also allows for additional schemes, I was reading somewhere the 2 TE set was developed to beat a 3-4 defense, primarily NE against Baltimore. We are very similar except we have the Puckers.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,977 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    991ß
    I was as up for taking a good TE early in this draft so I'm not going to say it wouldn't have been nice; but I'm not going to sweat it either when we have 2 probowl level WR's a 3rd WR that is tall that should have a good year, AND a pro bowl RB who's a receiving threat, AND who has a backup that should also be able to do that. AND again like it or not, the team feels FENDI is that pass catching backup option.

raise your hand if you think you are a better judge of O talent then Trestman/Emery....crickets...I thought so, until they decide Fendi isn't going to work no one should feel the need to sweat it.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +738 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    705ß
    We do not know what they think, there just has not been a good option yet. Lets see when cuts happen what they do, I am guessing they find a TE as evidenced by the two mediocre ones they already signed. I hope Fendi makes it, but after 5 yrs common sense say he wont.