I worry about the run-blocking. The OL needs to improve in this area.

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, May 25, 2014.

1. butkus3595

butkus3595
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,503ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    How many teams have starting caliber back up tight ends?

2. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,478ß
    none, only NE when they brought in Gronk and the killer, Gronk is always inj'd, and the killer is in jail, so now they don't even have that.

But to be fair, the 2 guys sitting behind Bennett are barely backup worthy; Rosario shouldn't have been brought back, and if he was then Mulligan wasn't a good option behind him.

3. butkus3595

butkus3595
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,503ß
    I don't disagree...I was just pointing it out.

4. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,478ß
    I'm w/BS regarding wanting them to draft a TE, or bring in a better option, but the problem is the team apparently REALLY likes Fendi and his upside, so it's just not going to happen, yet.

5. BSBEARS

BSBEARS
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,304ß
    Ravens: Dennis Pita and in FA picked up Owen Daniels from Houston ( he is older but solid starter over the years)
    Eagles: Brent Celek (been there for yrs) last yr drafted Zack Ertz. (#1 TE in draft 2013)
    Bengals : Gresham, back up Tyler Eifert (#2 TE in draft 2013)
    49ers: Vernon Davis and Vance McDonald. (2nd round pick 2013)
    Lions : Brandon Pettigrew and Eric Ebron. (#1 TE this yr)

I agree not every team has solid backups, but its not just a NE thing either. I doubt McDonald could step in equally for Vernon Davis but I would think the others all could. I would take any of those backups over any of ours. Guess I am more nervous about it than most, I just hate to think we are risking the offense because we lack a back up TE. I hope Fendi Onobun is greatly improved, but I also would hope we would have a back up capable of stepping in and allowing us to effectively run the offense and would not count on hope. I really was hoping we would have picked up Owen Daniels in Free Agency, I love what we did but much like a little kid at x-mas, I wanted one more present at TE.

6. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,478ß
    So roughly 5 out of 32, or 1/6th of the NFL teams are doing this, but McDonald and Daniels are not going to step in, Daniels cannot stay on the field, like the rest of Houston. But both at least attempted.

Again the backup plan will be to run more WR's and less TE passing routes if Bennett goes down.

7. BSBEARS

BSBEARS
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,304ß
    I believe Owen Daniels would step right in, if I remember correctly he made the Pro Bowl a few years back while in Houston. Definitely can catch the ball. As far as your vision for the back up plan, I am not a fan of changing what you do because of an injury. I am a fan of having a back up in place or as Seattle coined the phrase, "Next man up." Good teams do not need to change there philosophy when a player goes down. I do not believe we will see many 4 WR sets. Could one of the WR slide to TE, potentially as New Orleans uses Jimmy Graham more split out like a WR, however playing a WR like this would probably have to be Marshall or Jeffries as Wilson at 200 pounds is not big enough. Thus we hurt the WR position.

Can you please forward me a copy of that, I must have been left off the mailing list. :rofl2:

8. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,478ß
    Daniels has made 2 pro bowls, 08 and 12. And has missed multiple games more often then he's played 16 games; in 8 seasons he's only played 16 twice, I think he's got Cutler beat in that regard.

lol all you want but that's the reality if Bennett goes down, they keep a blocking TE in and they move down the list to Wilson as the pass threat after Marshal/Jeffery/Forte. And again I point out that Bennett is the 4th passing option on this team, so let's not over rate his need for this team to be successful.

9. butkus3595

butkus3595
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,503ß
    So essentially 27 other teams are in the same boat we are? Thats what I'm pointing out. I wish it weren't the case either..and I really wanted the team to draft Eiffert last year, but it is what it is. I'd rather have a capable back on the line, at rb, or other positions before TE. I can run different sets and still be effective on offense.

10. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    933ß
    You give me a REAL CHICAGO BEARS DEFENSE ... Ill take your Offense off the field and you wont need them.

GIVE ME MY DEFENSE BACK !!! :10 1 132[1]::10 1 132[1]: