I worry about the run-blocking. The OL needs to improve in this area.

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, May 25, 2014.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,901 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    921ß
    No beat guys have told us they believe in Fendi's upside. You might not like it....I know I don't....but that is the case.

You cannot say after 5 years he won't, when it's his first 5 years of ever playing football; this isn't some rookie that played hs/college ball and 5 years just cannot cut it.

I hope to hell they cut Rosario and Mulligan and Fendi and get 2 real dual threat TE's, but they aren't easy to find so don't bank on it.
  2. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +721 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    672ß
    I agree not that easy to find. If they were we would have them signed.

Fendi is an exception being 5 yrs into football, but in the days of old even QB's were not given 5 yrs after being drafted. They got 2 or 3 years and were expected to play. Maybe Fendi deserves more time but taking up a roster space or PS space to develop a player for 5 yrs is unheard of. Luckily the Bears only get credit for 2 of them. Like I said I hope he makes the jump, but if he is no better in pre-season we need to cut his ass and move on.
  3. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,901 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    921ß
    but he hasn't taken up a roster spot for 5 years, at least not w/the Bears it's been 1 going on 2.

it's up to Marc/Phil to decide when to move on from him, they've earned that right, same w/any other position starter or backup.

Remember last year people thought Slauson signing was a joke Long who needed to develop in a hurry just to be a starter, and the team was apparently better off keeping Webb instead of overpaying for Bushrod (just wow cannot believe some people thought that). And that we needed a real backup(raises hand). These guys, at least on O, know what their doing and what their looking at.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +721 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    672ß
    Same logic that kept Lovie and JA here. I wanted Lovie and JA gone 3 years ago. I thought it was well overdue.

I was not on the board last year so do not know what the board feelings were. I liked the Long signing and hoped they would sign him actually, except I thought he would be RT and not RG. I also liked the Slauson signing but have to admit he did better than I thought.

Speaking of the board, I use to visit a board in the early 90's and I think it was this one. There was an amateur free-lance writer on the board at the time and he used to write some good articles. Brian Urlachers step mom use to visit the site also before he was drafted. Like I said I believe this was the board and then I quit coming on, some of the posters were way to argumentative and started to make personal assaults on people so I signed off along with other things going on in my life like the big D, divorce. Although people disagree it generally stays to a healthy discussion which is good and enlightening. Hats off to the admins for keeping it that way.
  5. dabears70

dabears70 Rookie

Ratings:
    +45 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    46ß
    I agree. There never seemed to be any kind of hole whenever we ran up the middle.
  6. dabears70

dabears70 Rookie

Ratings:
    +45 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    46ß
    You might be waiting a while on that one cause i think he's hoping that Fendi Onubon (spell check) and D.Rosario will be dependable backups next year.
  7. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,901 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    921ß
    oh brotha you and me both. Again I'm on board w/Fendi not likely being good enough, but if Trest wants him around there is a reason and I'm not going to question his decisions, from one of the most inept O's for most of my lifetime to 2nd best in 1 year he's earned the right to decide how to put that O together.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. dabears70

dabears70 Rookie

Ratings:
    +45 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    46ß
    DLP doesn't need to learn the blocking calls cause he already knows Kromer's offense from his days in New Orleans.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,310 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    711ß
    Ric that may be how they feel about Fendi. But it may also be the case that they feel they need an upgrade but didn't have the means to fix everything needing fixing (so far) and this one had to go on the back burner for awhile. I'm okay with that. You list your priorities and take care of them as best you can. But it may not be the case that Fendi is seen as a good player. I wouldn't be surprised to see him replaced yet this summer if a better option becomes available. I'm not saying a great option, but just a guy who is an upgrade over Fendi. We'll go into camp with 90 players, and exit camp with 53. So the fact that Onobun is still on the roster now, really means very little as far as that final 53-man roster.

One last point for us to consider is that Cutler won't use Fendi if he stinks as a receiving TE. He will be dead to Cutler and won't see the ball if he proves to be a stone-hand guy this year. Fendi (if that's the case) will just be a wasted roster spot (he can't block either).
  10. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,310 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    711ß
    +1
    Good point about trusting in Trestman's judgment. I'm okay with him too, if Trestman sees him as the best we can do this season. But don't be surprised if we bring in another TE between now and camp - and Fendi is released to look for his 7th team in 5 years.
  11. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,495ß
    That may or may not be the case with this line but the one thing Kromer, Trestman and the other linemen have done is to have given credit to Garza for his leadership and the stability of that line which is why they brought him back even though de la Puente was out there for the taking. Garza is still the QB of that line and it's his job to lose. DLP is here to back up and ostensibly take over in 2015.
  12. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,495ß
    That blocking thing keeps coming up and while I don't have the same opportunity to watch Bears preseason games that you all do sox claims Onobun's blocking wasn't all that bad and with nothing else to go on I'll trust his judgement on that one until I see otherwise. If his blocking was all that bad I doubt they would have kept trying to work with him.

Physically he's the closest thing we have to Bennett and I still think it's his lack of focus or his nerves that are more suspect than his hands. Last year in the OTAs they said he was catching everything within reach and players with the background in BB that he has don't usually have bad hands. There a hell of a lot more passing and jump ball fighting going on there than on a football field.

To me it seems like his issues are mental and come from making too many mistakes and there you hit the nail on the head. Do that once to often and as far as Cutler is concerned you aren't even on the field. The only time I've ever seen Jay have much patience with guys who run bad routes or don't catch the ball is when he has no other alternatives and these days he has plenty of them.

But all of that aside he won't get another shot to make the team that's any better than this one. The door to that backup spot is wide open and if he can't get through it then it is time to move on. The Bears have stuck with him longer than any other team has and you just know that Emery will be on the lookout for a vet who can step in and fill that spot if he can locate one.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,901 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    921ß

not only would I not be surprised I'd be happy; again this is not a vote of confidence from me for Fendi, it's my vote of confidence on Trestman.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,189 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    234ß
    I normally find the preseason to be a boring teaser at best but this year will be really interesting to watch. I could care less about the final scores (and please don't get anyone important hurt!) but there should be some fun individual evaluations to see.

Can O'Donnell really boom it in a game situation?
    Can Fendi learn to catch?
    How will safety shake out?
    Does Wilson look as good as billed?
    Shea as a LB?
    Does Bass look like he's got some game? And Carey?
    I'm even looking forward to seeing Palmer.

Should be way more interesting than in the Lovie/JA days when the preseason games were truly a formality only.
    • Like Like x 3
  15. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,901 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    921ß
    lol hell that's just the obvious ones, what about how Bostic/Greene play, does Ego/Sutton show enough to earn legit playing time?

How does Draughn/Ford/Lynch play out? Look good or not Carey is the backup those 3 are fighting for that last roster spot

Can Williams repeat what he did up in the CFL down in the big leagues?
    • Like Like x 2
  16. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,189 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    234ß
    Yep, at least there will be some interesting battles and evaluations to watch unlike with Lovie. I think we have really good depth options to sort thru at WR, RB, OL, DL (wow, that's saying a lot after last years disaster), and CB. Where we really need guys to step up and make the team look "less thin" is at S, LB, and TE. So, in terms of "bubble" players to root for I'd say Jones, Fendi, MDJennings, and Greene could really help us a lot if they truly EARN a spot instead of being just the least bad reserve options.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,901 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    921ß
    Yep, camp lovie you knew who was going to start and backup, unless they got into the Lovie dog house, then they would be off the team. All of that was regardless of how good you were or weren't.
  18. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +191 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    356ß
    Whats the status of head case extroidinare Jermicheal Finley ?