If a Ryan Tannehill-type of QB was our QB

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by ChiCityBears, Oct 31, 2013.

1. ChiCityBears

ChiCityBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Tannehill was picked 7th last year, the third QB taken. In next year's draft we may be able to snag that third best QB too. If we get a QB with the same level of talent, will be set to make the playoffs? Tannehill is a decent QB
  2. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    17ß
    Not sure, there is no telling what can happen year to year
  3. ChiCityBears

ChiCityBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    All he would have to do is just not turn the ball over. Cutler is a risk-taker. His interceptions are because he likes to sling the ball down the field and take chances.
  4. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    24ß
    I would say that we actually have more of a supporting staff here than Tannehill has. He is above average QB that could get better.

I would be pretty excited to see us get a Tannehill type QB, but only if we keep Cutler for at least 1 year.
  5. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,997 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,013ß
    depends on what happens in the offseason, can we get a legit DE to replace Peppers and Shea, and motivate Wootton back to last years levels? Can we resign Melton and Collins(both pretty solid DT's?) Can we get a CB to go opposite Jennings(I've said it all offseason and I'm sticking to it, they don't sign Tillman back as CB), and can they at least upgrade 1 of the safeties? If so you can take a flyer w/a qb as your #1 pick....IF you don't resign or FT Cutler. if you do resign or FT Cutler then you are not taking a qb w/your 13th-20th pick.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,221 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    260ß
    Ric is correct. If they sign/FT Cutler (my money is on the FT), then there's no way you can use your mid-1st pick on a QB. Very slim chance anyway with all the holes on D that need youth upgrades. I can't see the first pick not being a DL or a CB.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. ChiCityBears

ChiCityBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I think Emery realizes that you cannot win a Superbowl with Cutler and that he has peaked. His peak being a little bump and not a mountain. It is time to move on. Emery is in his second year, and it looks like we will not end up in the playoffs. He has to hit a home run by getting a top QB like Colin Kaepernick, Andrew Luck, RGIII, or Russell Wilson in the draft. Shannahan went to the AFC Championship Game with Jake Plummer and in the next draft he picked Cutler. We will not even get into the wildcard playoff game, but Emery could still pick a QB in the first round.

Do not forget that we traded 2 (?) first-rounders for Cutler. It is the equivalent of trading two QBs in the first round. Why cannot it happen again?
  8. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,197 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    95ß

We'll know by season's end if Cutty has peaked. I'm not a fan of Tannehill but a trade to get a 1st and change for JC could be doable.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. ChiCityBears

ChiCityBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Cutler is only worth a 3rd or 4th.
  10. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,197 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    95ß
    Oh come now, there's always the Raiders :D
  11. ChiCityBears

ChiCityBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    The Raiders beat the Steelers and Chargers. We could have lost to the Steelers earlier this year. They are not that desperate. Pryor is decent.
  12. MrDynamite32

MrDynamite32 Veteran

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    46ß
    With all of the problems on defense, I don't see the Bears using their 1st round pick on a QB unless one comes up that they absolutely can't miss. Of course, that hinges on if they resign Cutler.
  13. ChiCityBears

ChiCityBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Aaron Rodgers was picked 24th, Brady was in the 6th round, Kaepernick in the 2nd (?), Brees in the 2nd, Russell Wilson in the 3rd. We will draft a QB this year. It was reported recently that Emery wanted to resign Cutler this year, but Trestman told him not to. Enough said.
  14. zelezo vlk

zelezo vlk Veteran

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Because Trestman hadn't seen him play in the new system. I don't care much for a Kaep. If the right QB falls to us, I'm sure Emery will take him, but in the meantime, there are plenty of other positions that need attention.
  15. ChiCityBears

ChiCityBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    QB is the most important position in the NFL.
  16. zelezo vlk

zelezo vlk Veteran

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    That is correct. But you don't reach for a guy you aren't sure about when there are other players rated higher within your needs.
  17. ChiCityBears

ChiCityBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    The way that some teams are playing this year, a lot of QBs could be taken in the first round again. We need to pray that Christian Ponder in Minny and Mike Glennon in TB play well so a good QB falls to us.
  18. zelezo vlk

zelezo vlk Veteran

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I would prefer to work on other areas of need unless a great prospect falls to us.
  19. ChiCityBears

ChiCityBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    • Like Like x 1
  20. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    24ß
    I feel that the Bears will take a QB, but I'm not sure if it will be in the first round.

What if Jay Ratliff turns into the ProBowler that he once was, and if we can get him and Melton to come back? Then we still need a DE to replace Shea/Pep. So I still think that DE or CB will be the highest priority in the draft, but there is nothing saying they will not take a QB if someone that Trestman loves was there. My money is on picking a QB in the second or later, but I feel they will take a QB this next year, and I don't think they will take a UDFA.