If by some crazy chance, McCown shines at QB & we win...

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Nov 4, 2013.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,328 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,299ß
    Just for the sake of argument, if McCown would have a stellar night, in an extremely tough venue - Lambeau Field on Monday Night Football in front of a national audience (against Green Bay who owns Jay Cutler) - does this:

1. Indicate that Cutler might be expendable at the end of the year? That another QB (not necessarily McCown) can function just fine in Trestman's version of a west coast offense?

2. Make people wonder why Cutler struggles against GB, when an old backup QB with minimal talent/skills can play well against them?

3. If (big "if" here) McCown follows up his QB rating of 119 last week, with a similar stellar performance (no turnovers), and continues this for a couple more games - is there any way this creates a QB controversy? I know this sounds absolutely nuts, but if he out-performs Cutler significantly, you have to wonder.
  2. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +503 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    113ß
    I said a bit about the first point you made when Cutler went down. And the answer I think is yes. If McCown can put together solid performances (230-270 yds, 2 Tds, 0-1 INt) then I think it does say something about Cutler's value. Like you said, McCown is a old, and very limited in terms of talent QB. If he can go out there and do a decent job and give us a chance to win then you DO have to question the overall value and meaning Cutler has to the team. It would be natural and just to question just how much Cutler effects our success both on a positive note and negative.
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,791 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,985ß
    It's not going to happen, so don't worry about it.

if it does happen, then we can talk about it, but I would hardly put any effort into thinking about it unless it does.

Cutler struggles against GB b/c GB knows how to defend him, and he hasn't really changed, he still turns the ball over way to much b/c he's far to aggressive. That's easy to defend, and when the opposing O is so damn good and doesn't turn the ball over you are left w/a D that is in a very bad position. It has nothing to do w/the OL, the D, the WR's the coaches or anything else...this one aspect is all on him.

Good luck w/McCown mirroring a performance against a team that didn't prepare or have film on him and a team that has had plenty of time to prepare and did have film on him.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +3,328 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,299ß
    I agree, McCown shouldn't be able to do squat against a team that has owned Cutler all these years. Green Bay's secondary loves Jay because he throws them the pics & folds like a lawn chair against them. But this morning I was just thinking "what if" Trestman's offense can make a guy like McCown into a winner, even against our nemesis, Green Bay? Maybe a "gunslinger" isn't the best fit for what Trestman runs here in Chicago. Maybe we just need a guy (not McCown but a young kid) who protects the football and moves the chains - and wins against GOOD teams.
  5. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +458 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    190ß
    There should not be a QB controversy with a 34 year old QB. McCOwn is good for the team locker room, and good for Cutler's development. But he's not in competition to be a starter anymore. He's just trying to keep the ship afloat while Cutler gets healthy.

For keeping Cutler long term should be entirely dependent on Trestman's relationship and evaluation of the guy. If Trestman thinks he can work with him, we should keep him. If Emery makes a dollars and sense decision, then he'd better hit on the guy he chooses to replace him.

Cutler has struggled against the Packers because we have fielded a bad offense these past few years. The o-line and bad receiving options would make it hard for any QB to succeed. It would have been nice to have this game with Cutler healthy to see what he could do offensively against a team he's struggled against, but hopefully we will get to see it in SF in December.
  6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +3,328 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,299ß

I agree, it's tough not having this opportunity to see if Cutler can perform well against Green Bay, now that he has all the new toys.
  7. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,680 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    764ß
    If it happens, it would be because the defense finally got their **** together, and the offense did "just enough" to win. That's the most likely scenario of the Bears winning. It's implausible that McCown will fix all of the troubles on this offense, even though the offense could play better, seeing as their running backs are an underutilized strength. Then again, Nick Foles just tied Peyton Manning yesterday for most TD's in a game, so anything's possible.
  8. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,791 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,985ß
    Ya but Nick Foles is 10000000000x the qb that McCown is, comparing what McCown could do to Foles is like comparing apples to turds.
  9. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,595 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    644ß
    My expectations for McCown tonight are low. If he can throw for 200 and not turn the ball over, that would be a very nice game. Obviously, Forte is going to have a have a big game and help us with ball control.

Even if all that happens though (unlikely) it won't mean a damn thing unless the D comes up big in a way it hasn't pretty much all year. If they can't get some stops on Rodgers and at least 2 TOs, it won't matter what the O does.
  10. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +333 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    175ß
    If by some crazy chance, McCown shines at QB & we win... i'll be extremely happy! :pamela:that's about it!
    • Like Like x 1
  11. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    33ß
    I think his evaluation should be independent of whether we win or lose.

I honestly think that Josh could come out and have a good game and we could very well lose to the Packers.

If he has a good game I would give Trestman a lot of credit, because we have seen Josh play poorly, and he is not a starting caliber talent.

Cutlers biggest down fall is that he has a rocket arm. Therefore, he has never learned to trust his anticipation of the WR coming open. Josh does not have that strong arm, so he must throw before the WR OR the defender knows it is coming.

Payton Manning does not have the strong arm that he once had, but he has learned to throw the ball with anticipation and accuracy.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +3,328 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,299ß
    Sometimes I wonder if having a "gunslinger" QB is really best for the type offense that Trestman wants to run. Cutler is incredibly gifted physically as a QB. But sometimes I think a better fit for Trestman's version of a WC offense, would be a guy who is smart, moves the chains, protects the football (turnovers in big games are killers) & is very consistent. In other words he may not rocket long passes in a wildly vertical game ("good Jay" "Bad Jay" stuff) from game to game, but rather consistently gut defenses with surgical precision in the short-to-medium range, in a ball control, clock-eating way. I'm not talking about a "game manager" but a true weapon as a QB - a smart, precision thrower who doesn't lose games. A guy who keeps his head in big games too.
  13. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    33ß
    Without a doubt a "game manager" has become a bad word around the league about a guy that is not able to make explosive plays. But I consider most of the top 10 QB in the league very good at managing a game. They dont throw a lot of picks, they allow the play makers to make plays, they are considered football smart and they win a lot of games by taking the short gains and sees the big plays when they present themselves.

That is the kind of QB trestman wants, and to be honest, unless Jay finishes the year showing that he can do that (I think he has shown some of that prior to the injury) they will move on without him.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. A-11

A-11 Veteran

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I don't think McCown would or could cause a big QB controversy.
    It might make the decisions to tag/resign Cutty interesting though. (Best case knock some $ off)

A very very productive bye week for D is the most likely scenario that will make this game competitive. Anything could happen but a Foles like lightning storm is unlikely and, if it does rain touchdowns and Bears I'd expect it to strike t..tw..tw..twenty-two times in the cheesehead. That will have to be our teams forte.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. zelezo vlk

zelezo vlk Veteran

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I find it kinda funny that we call a capable offensive line and competent offensive mind "weapons"...maybe we really have had our minds warped by the drought of talent on O.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. zelezo vlk

zelezo vlk Veteran

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I find it kinda funny that we call a capable offensive line and competent offensive mind "weapons"...maybe we really have had our minds warped by the drought of talent on O.
  17. Smoking Jay

Smoking Jay Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    19ß
    sounds like alex smith would have been bad ass in our system...
  18. A-11

A-11 Veteran

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    The thing I don't like about the "Game" manager stereotyped QB is simply:
    Just because you have a "big" arm or "gunslinger" attitude doesn't mean you have to use it. Why lower the ceiling?

I'm a Boise State fan boy... if that is what you wanted why not make a offer to Detroit for Kellen Moore. The first quarterback in FBS history to win 50 games during his career? The guy that had the Touchdown Club of Columbus name an award after him? He looked very good this preseason, controlling the O and calling plays at the line...

This is why:
    Because He has a Chad Pennington Noodle Arm (the 2010 version, after what the fifth surgery?) and is football smart but probably not at Chad's level. (That's not a real diss on Kellen by the way, not many are and Moore knows how to play.) The odds are there is going to be a time in the playoffs when you're going to need a big play, or at least the "threat" of it. You can manage a game, but can the team manage to make it to the Superbowl? It is possible but unlikely IMO.

The other part of it is... Even if someone like Kellen could bring his game to NFL stardom. How much opportunity would a coaching staff really give him knowing that the ball is traveling down the field at a different rate? I know the arrow just has to hit it's mark, but the game moves organized and quicker these days... The quarterback would have to be a true original.
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  19. Wolfman

Wolfman Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +1,867 / 10 / -4
    ßearz ßuckz:
    178ß
    I expect a full blown QB controversy by the end of the night...at least in the eyes of some...
    • Like Like x 1
  20. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +3,328 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,299ß
    One thing interesting about this, is the fact McCown has been reckless with the ball throughout his career - he's thrown more ints than touchdowns over his 11 year career and only has a completion % in the 50s......yet he looked really solid going in for Cutler in the 'Skins game. So if by some crazy chance he WOULD perform well as a backup this year, maybe that says a lot about Trestman - and his chances of helping Jay Cutler become a solid QB. It sure looked like Jay was on his way before this injury. It stinks that he got injured.
    • Like Like x 2