If by some crazy chance, McCown shines at QB & we win...

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Nov 4, 2013.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    Just for the sake of argument, if McCown would have a stellar night, in an extremely tough venue - Lambeau Field on Monday Night Football in front of a national audience (against Green Bay who owns Jay Cutler) - does this:

1. Indicate that Cutler might be expendable at the end of the year? That another QB (not necessarily McCown) can function just fine in Trestman's version of a west coast offense?

2. Make people wonder why Cutler struggles against GB, when an old backup QB with minimal talent/skills can play well against them?

3. If (big "if" here) McCown follows up his QB rating of 119 last week, with a similar stellar performance (no turnovers), and continues this for a couple more games - is there any way this creates a QB controversy? I know this sounds absolutely nuts, but if he out-performs Cutler significantly, you have to wonder.

2. Grizzblue

Grizzblue
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

I said a bit about the first point you made when Cutler went down. And the answer I think is yes. If McCown can put together solid performances (230-270 yds, 2 Tds, 0-1 INt) then I think it does say something about Cutler's value. Like you said, McCown is a old, and very limited in terms of talent QB. If he can go out there and do a decent job and give us a chance to win then you DO have to question the overall value and meaning Cutler has to the team. It would be natural and just to question just how much Cutler effects our success both on a positive note and negative.

3. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

It's not going to happen, so don't worry about it.

if it does happen, then we can talk about it, but I would hardly put any effort into thinking about it unless it does.

Cutler struggles against GB b/c GB knows how to defend him, and he hasn't really changed, he still turns the ball over way to much b/c he's far to aggressive. That's easy to defend, and when the opposing O is so damn good and doesn't turn the ball over you are left w/a D that is in a very bad position. It has nothing to do w/the OL, the D, the WR's the coaches or anything else...this one aspect is all on him.

Good luck w/McCown mirroring a performance against a team that didn't prepare or have film on him and a team that has had plenty of time to prepare and did have film on him.

• Like Like x 2
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

I agree, McCown shouldn't be able to do squat against a team that has owned Cutler all these years. Green Bay's secondary loves Jay because he throws them the pics & folds like a lawn chair against them. But this morning I was just thinking "what if" Trestman's offense can make a guy like McCown into a winner, even against our nemesis, Green Bay? Maybe a "gunslinger" isn't the best fit for what Trestman runs here in Chicago. Maybe we just need a guy (not McCown but a young kid) who protects the football and moves the chains - and wins against GOOD teams.

5. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

There should not be a QB controversy with a 34 year old QB. McCOwn is good for the team locker room, and good for Cutler's development. But he's not in competition to be a starter anymore. He's just trying to keep the ship afloat while Cutler gets healthy.

For keeping Cutler long term should be entirely dependent on Trestman's relationship and evaluation of the guy. If Trestman thinks he can work with him, we should keep him. If Emery makes a dollars and sense decision, then he'd better hit on the guy he chooses to replace him.

Cutler has struggled against the Packers because we have fielded a bad offense these past few years. The o-line and bad receiving options would make it hard for any QB to succeed. It would have been nice to have this game with Cutler healthy to see what he could do offensively against a team he's struggled against, but hopefully we will get to see it in SF in December.

6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

I agree, it's tough not having this opportunity to see if Cutler can perform well against Green Bay, now that he has all the new toys.

7. Henry Burris

Henry Burris
    Expand Collapse
    Head Coach

If it happens, it would be because the defense finally got their **** together, and the offense did "just enough" to win. That's the most likely scenario of the Bears winning. It's implausible that McCown will fix all of the troubles on this offense, even though the offense could play better, seeing as their running backs are an underutilized strength. Then again, Nick Foles just tied Peyton Manning yesterday for most TD's in a game, so anything's possible.

8. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Ya but Nick Foles is 10000000000x the qb that McCown is, comparing what McCown could do to Foles is like comparing apples to turds.

9. MPbears68

MPbears68
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Famer

My expectations for McCown tonight are low. If he can throw for 200 and not turn the ball over, that would be a very nice game. Obviously, Forte is going to have a have a big game and help us with ball control.

Even if all that happens though (unlikely) it won't mean a damn thing unless the D comes up big in a way it hasn't pretty much all year. If they can't get some stops on Rodgers and at least 2 TOs, it won't matter what the O does.

10. a_miljan

a_miljan
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

If by some crazy chance, McCown shines at QB & we win... i'll be extremely happy! :pamela:that's about it!

• Like Like x 1