If by some crazy chance, McCown shines at QB & we win...

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Nov 4, 2013.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,377 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    782ß
    He shined. Great job by Trestman and McCown.
    • Like Like x 3
  2. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    He looked good tonight. I think he should start against Detroit and let Jay get back to 100%.
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,377 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    782ß
    If nothing else, let him play against Green Bay each year. It was so nice to not see "Bad Jay" doing his famous "Green Bay Meltdown" tonight.
  4. billatter

billatter Veteran

Ratings:
    +204 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    76ß
    In other words, a Calvillo.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +617 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    212ß
    Bill, you have way more knowledge than we do about T-man and Calvillo. What was the word on Calvillo before T-man coached him up? I heard somewhere he wasn't very good, but Trestman's coaching is what made him a star. Any truth to that?
  6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,377 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    782ß
    Yes, a guy who can win championships. I don't care if the QB has a rocket arm or a noodle arm - if he can stand tall and win big games against great teams. What good is a rocket arm if you fold like a lawn chair and give the ball away to your opponent in big games? I am SO hoping Jay is smart enough - and disciplined enough - to protect the football better in big games, now that Trestman has been working with him. I do see progress with Cutler this year. Let's see how he performs down the stretch this season against the better teams.
  7. billatter

billatter Veteran

Ratings:
    +204 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    76ß
    By 1997 Calvillo was a poor QB who was a couple of bad games away from selling life insurance. In 1998 he became the backup to Tracey Ham in Montreal (before the Trestman era) where he sat and learned. By the time he took over from Ham in 2000, he was turning in good performances. When Trestman arrived in 2008, Calvillo was 34-35 and by that age a QB's mechanics are pretty well carved in stone. Yet Trestman was able to get Calvillo to speed up his releases, improve the thoroughness of his reads, reduce the number of steps when he dropped back, and basically make better decisions.

His TD/Int ratio had improved quite a bit before Trestman, but his coaching improved it considerably. Before Trestman, Calvillo's ratio was in the 1.5:1 - 2:1 range and afterward he was in the 3:1 - 4:1 range. Interestingly, he didn't do much about Calvillo's funky sidearm throwing motion, I suppose because if it ain't broke, don't fix it. He was completing passes all over the field with that motion so why change. Knowing what to change and what to leave alone is often the major part of the battle.

The other point worth mentioning is that Trestman and Calvillo became joined at the hip. Trestman credits Calvillo with is success as much as the other way around, calling Calvillo the best QB he has ever coached. The CFL has been a graveyard for ex-NFL and ex-NCAA HCs, but Trestman went to Montreal with the attitude that he had a lot to learn about the game. Calvillo was instrumental in that learning process. Calvillo can be a bit on the crusty side, yet the two of them got along extremely well with a huge amount of respect going both ways. I think that Montreal's success was in no small way due to the strength of that relationship.
    • Like Like x 3
  8. A-11

A-11 Veteran

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Thanks Bill,
    My biggest take away from your post was with your comments on the relationship, and on the non cookie cutter (individual) approach to coaching. I like eggheads.

I still would like to see a little more yang from someone on the staff. Doesn't really have to be Tucker, but a true motivator somewhere on the sidelines "might" go a long ways to the players that thrive under it. Paea needs to stop the Haka also, I wonder if that was part of last nights game plan... New director of pregame hysteria??
  9. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +617 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    212ß
    Very interesting, thanks for the info Bill.

Like A-11, I see the relationship comments as the real story. Mutual respect means a lot. We all know Cutler's feelings toward Tice. And Martz. The whole world saw it. I wonder how good Cutler would be now if T-man was OC here since Lovie Dovie passed on him instead of all the different guys and schemes he's had to go through.