If by some crazy chance, McCown shines at QB & we win...

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Nov 4, 2013.

1. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +399 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    200ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    I think his evaluation should be independent of whether we win or lose.

I honestly think that Josh could come out and have a good game and we could very well lose to the Packers.

If he has a good game I would give Trestman a lot of credit, because we have seen Josh play poorly, and he is not a starting caliber talent.

Cutlers biggest down fall is that he has a rocket arm. Therefore, he has never learned to trust his anticipation of the WR coming open. Josh does not have that strong arm, so he must throw before the WR OR the defender knows it is coming.

Payton Manning does not have the strong arm that he once had, but he has learned to throw the ball with anticipation and accuracy.

• Like Like x 2
  2. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +4,112 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    3,526ß
    Sometimes I wonder if having a "gunslinger" QB is really best for the type offense that Trestman wants to run. Cutler is incredibly gifted physically as a QB. But sometimes I think a better fit for Trestman's version of a WC offense, would be a guy who is smart, moves the chains, protects the football (turnovers in big games are killers) & is very consistent. In other words he may not rocket long passes in a wildly vertical game ("good Jay" "Bad Jay" stuff) from game to game, but rather consistently gut defenses with surgical precision in the short-to-medium range, in a ball control, clock-eating way. I'm not talking about a "game manager" but a true weapon as a QB - a smart, precision thrower who doesn't lose games. A guy who keeps his head in big games too.

3. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +399 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    200ß
    Without a doubt a "game manager" has become a bad word around the league about a guy that is not able to make explosive plays. But I consider most of the top 10 QB in the league very good at managing a game. They dont throw a lot of picks, they allow the play makers to make plays, they are considered football smart and they win a lot of games by taking the short gains and sees the big plays when they present themselves.

That is the kind of QB trestman wants, and to be honest, unless Jay finishes the year showing that he can do that (I think he has shown some of that prior to the injury) they will move on without him.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. A-11

A-11 Veteran

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I don't think McCown would or could cause a big QB controversy.
    It might make the decisions to tag/resign Cutty interesting though. (Best case knock some $ off)

A very very productive bye week for D is the most likely scenario that will make this game competitive. Anything could happen but a Foles like lightning storm is unlikely and, if it does rain touchdowns and Bears I'd expect it to strike t..tw..tw..twenty-two times in the cheesehead. That will have to be our teams forte.

• Like Like x 1
  5. zelezo vlk

zelezo vlk Veteran

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I find it kinda funny that we call a capable offensive line and competent offensive mind "weapons"...maybe we really have had our minds warped by the drought of talent on O.

• Like Like x 1
  6. zelezo vlk

zelezo vlk Veteran

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I find it kinda funny that we call a capable offensive line and competent offensive mind "weapons"...maybe we really have had our minds warped by the drought of talent on O.

7. Smoking Jay

Smoking Jay Veteran

Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    73ß
    sounds like alex smith would have been bad ass in our system...

8. A-11

A-11 Veteran

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    The thing I don't like about the "Game" manager stereotyped QB is simply:
    Just because you have a "big" arm or "gunslinger" attitude doesn't mean you have to use it. Why lower the ceiling?

I'm a Boise State fan boy... if that is what you wanted why not make a offer to Detroit for Kellen Moore. The first quarterback in FBS history to win 50 games during his career? The guy that had the Touchdown Club of Columbus name an award after him? He looked very good this preseason, controlling the O and calling plays at the line...

This is why:
    Because He has a Chad Pennington Noodle Arm (the 2010 version, after what the fifth surgery?) and is football smart but probably not at Chad's level. (That's not a real diss on Kellen by the way, not many are and Moore knows how to play.) The odds are there is going to be a time in the playoffs when you're going to need a big play, or at least the "threat" of it. You can manage a game, but can the team manage to make it to the Superbowl? It is possible but unlikely IMO.

The other part of it is... Even if someone like Kellen could bring his game to NFL stardom. How much opportunity would a coaching staff really give him knowing that the ball is traveling down the field at a different rate? I know the arrow just has to hit it's mark, but the game moves organized and quicker these days... The quarterback would have to be a true original.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  9. Wolfman

Wolfman Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +1,867 / 10 / -4
    ßearz ßuckz:
    178ß
    I expect a full blown QB controversy by the end of the night...at least in the eyes of some...

• Like Like x 1
  10. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +4,112 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    3,526ß
    One thing interesting about this, is the fact McCown has been reckless with the ball throughout his career - he's thrown more ints than touchdowns over his 11 year career and only has a completion % in the 50s......yet he looked really solid going in for Cutler in the 'Skins game. So if by some crazy chance he WOULD perform well as a backup this year, maybe that says a lot about Trestman - and his chances of helping Jay Cutler become a solid QB. It sure looked like Jay was on his way before this injury. It stinks that he got injured.

• Like Like x 2