If Chargers were to leave SD, San Antonio might be an option

Discussion in 'Rival Team Forum' started by riczaj01, Oct 18, 2013.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,268 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,428ß
    [​IMG]Alamo City Beat
    Oct 16, 2013, 2:34pm CDT
    San Antonio an option for Chargers if NFL team bolts, San Diego columnist says

[​IMG]
    Enlarge

Photo Illustration by Julian Cordero / SABJ
    San Antonio's Alamodome could be an option for a relocating Chargers NFL team if the football club is unable to reach an agreement with San Diego, according to one sports columnist.

There is a good chance, perhaps an ever-increasing chance, that the San Diego Chargers will throw up their hands, end their quest for a new stadium in Southern California and move to another market.

Could the team wind up in San Antonio? It’s possible, says one veteran Chargers observer.

San Diego Union-Tribune columnist Kevin Acee believes the Chargers are ripe for the picking. Acee, who was the Chargers beat writer for several years before becoming a columnist, wrote recently, “The only way the Chargers will stay is if they get a new place to play.”

He is not optimistic that San Diego leaders will come through in time with a workable plan.

The natives are restless. Apathy may be setting in.

On Monday, the Chargers nearly became the first NFL franchise in the new millennium to have a Monday Night Football appearance blacked out in its local television market. Sponsors had to step in and purchase several thousand unsold tickets to prevent the embarrassment of a black out, according to Acee.

I reached out to the Union-Tribune columnist on Wednesday to ask him about the gravity of the situation in San Diego.

“I believe the Chargers will leave at some point, though I certainly think city leaders here will eventually decide they want to actually do something constructive to help keep the team,” Acee tells me. “Will it be too late? That’s a real possibility.”

The Chargers’ current home, Qualcomm Stadium, was built in 1967. It’s a relic compared to most NFL venues.

The Alamodome, which opened in 1993, could use some major improvements, but it’s less than half the age of Qualcomm and newer than a number of other NFL venues.

Earlier this year, Texas Gov. Rick Perry, who has close ties to Chargers owner Dean Spanos, was queried by the San Diego newspaper about the possibility of the team relocating to South Texas.

Perry told Union-Tribune reporters, “Dean is a good friend and I would be lying if I didn’t tell you ... we would love to have their athletic club (in San Antonio),”

The idea is not so far fetched.

“San Antonio could be a legitimate option,” Acee tells me.

He adds, however, that there are “two powerful owners in Texas who might have a problem with a third team in the state.”

The NFL has three teams in California at present. There are also three teams in Florida and New York.

Ohio has the same number of NFL teams as Texas.

Where the Chargers go is a guessing game at this point. But there is a certain level of confidence among some in Southern California that the team won’t stay in San Diego.

“The reality is this: Once a city comes calling with a legitimate deal (and to think that won’t happen at some point is foolish), the Chargers will leave,” Acee says.

W. Scott Bailey covers health care, tourism, sports business, economic development; he also plans and edits some special reports.
  2. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,268 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,428ß
    So here's the jist, I heard about this on the radio by a sports guy that used to work in California.

1) Owner of the Chargers is really close w/Rick Perry, and has no real ties to Southern California.
    2) Alamodome is not a legit long term solution, when the Saints played there during Katrina(several years ago now) they said it was a nice place for an exhibition game, but not a full time NFL stadium. So why that might be a place for a team that moves to SA to play temporarily, a new stadium would need to be built, maybe to cut the costs they could pair up w/the UTSA div 1 football program and Toyota or one of the multiple other national companies here in town to build it.
    3) As the article points out, while the Gov might like the idea of having a team here, Dallas and Houston might not like it so much(although houston might since it cuts into Dallas' market more then theirs).
    4) SA is the 36th largest market size, but the city, and everything around it is growing. It's smaller then SD, and not in the top 32, but jacksonville, buffalo and NO's are in the 50's, and if SA were to build the stadium on the north end of town, you could attract an untapped market in Austin, which is about an hour drive, maybe a little less.
    5) Texas has already taken a bunch of industry out of Cali, why not another one ;p
  3. J.C.

J.C. Legend SuperFan

Ratings:
    +2,464 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    175ß
    6) San Diego just approved a $520 million expansion for its convention center (to retain Comic-Con). It doesn't seem likely that they will also throw cash into the toilet called the Bolts.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,268 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,428ß
    wow I hadn't heard that, ya 520 mil for a yearly convention center isn't going to leave any money for an NFL stadium that hosts 8+ games a year+concerts HS games etc. But whateve, maybe SD just figured they were gone regardless, LA still seems more likely imo, but I think it would be nice to see it not goto a town notorious for not giving two craps about the NFL.
  5. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,588 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    943ß
    lol, wow the NFL really has completely changed the mindset of the average fan. Just for the record...the NFL team owners do not HAVE to use taxpayer money to build their billion dollar monstrosities. I seriously doubt this will change any time soon, since the owners love the free government handouts they get to build stadiums, but there should come a point where we demand that they build their stadiums WITHOUT taxpayer money.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,268 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,428ß
    Jimmors, I don't disagree w/that, but at the same time a point comes when it happens so often that it becomes normal; and that's what happened. Remember when Minnisota was just not going to give the Vikings a stadium? Ya how'd that work out? Now I do like what Minny did, they put in all sorts of landmines if the Vikes were to leave Minnisota, and they slowly de escalate overtime, and I hope more and more cities start to do that.

reality is the city gets a ton of perks for having a NFL team, and if they build the stadium and rent it out to the team they get income off it, plus the revenues from other uses of the stadium, it's a win/win or the city if they can use the stadium to it's full potential.
  7. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +4,588 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    943ß
    The amount of "perks" a city gets is minimal compared to the hundreds of millions of dollars they need to put up for a stadium.
  8. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,268 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,428ß
    disagree on the perks, especially if they are getting rent from a NFL team in the 10-20mil range per year, less then ten years the city is getting 100mil back, just off the club, again sighting the Vikings deal. If you don't think 100mil in 10 years is minimal then you and I have different thoughts on what minimal means, not to mention the money that goes to the city union workers, construction, electical, metal etc, that is then taxed by the city and again when those workers make a purchase. And on top of that the money they get from conventions and concerts and the likes, and the money that comes from all the side projects and the likes.

I think the days of a free building are over, but what Minnisota did will allow that building to be viable for years and could even become practical.
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  9. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +4,588 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    943ß
    Im going to try and dig up the article, but i read one recently over the new Minnesota Stadium, and it goes into detail about how little cities actually get in these deals with the NFL. Shit, i really need to learn to bookmarks things more often.
  10. MIKETOUHY

MIKETOUHY Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    22ß
    I agree.

Also The Chargers were founded in 1960 as part of the AFL (American Football League)

Think they won a an AFL championship in 63 and I've heard various comparisons to them and the 63 Bears but to the best of my knowledge, they're only Superbowl was SB XXIX against the 49er's in which they lost.

Because of that why would the SA Mayor even want them?

You talk about Chargers games being blacked out due to poor attendance and the owners want money for a new stadium?

Please!

They can pay the players all that money so they should have no problem paying for their own playing grounds.