If Corn Wash gets cut at some point this preseason...

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BradMustersGhost, Aug 14, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,505ß
    The guy was up against third tier players probably no better or worse than he played against in college and he still couldn't make an IMPACT. That's what coaches are looking for. There are guy ahead of him who played as well or better against starters and primary backups and some of those guys have made an impact.

When you spend an entire year with a team and can't even get on the field for the worst defense in the league and then can't even elevate your play beyond third string in camp the following year you aren't good enough to play at this level. It's time to stop believing all the draft hype. He's not Corn. He's toast.
  2. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +679 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    795ß
    The way I am figuring it, he is head-to-head with Bass for the final DE spot on the roster. He clearly did more than Bass in this game, and needs to keep it up. With his 4.55 speed in 40, he's a good guy for kick coverage. That's the other way he can jump ahead of Bass. I mean, I look at these two guys, and CornWash has tremendous upside potential with his physical attributes. No so much with Bass.
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,350 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    745ß
    I've seen some good things from BOTH Washington and Bass at times. I figure we don't know how the coaches view this. They may see Washington as a better talent than some of us do - and better than Bass. Or worse than him. I'm just thinking we'll have to wait and see how this unfolds. I did like Washington's performance in the last game. I saw what some here have described. He was putting heat on the QB consistently. Not sacks, but he was pressuring the QB and making a difference. As far as the fact that he was going against the 3rd string guys, I figure he can't help who he's facing. That's out of his hands. But he did look better than I've seen him in the past. Anyway, we'll just wait and see how it all unfolds. There may be a couple of surprises (to us fans) as to who makes this team - and who doesn't.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +650 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    331ß
    I know this is the Corn's thread but I sure do like Scott. That is all.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. DavidL

Ratings:
    +679 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    795ß
    Thanks. I think Rik and Soul are selling him short. I can't even figure who is the guy who was blocking him. There is no #72 listed on their roster! In any case, Bass was playing in 4Q also, so it is a fair comparison between them.

I see in the current depth chart that CornWash is now 3rd behind Scott and Bass is listed as "other." This A. Lane guy has only 1 tackle in the preseason. CornWash had 2 on Friday. Considering that Lane is a 4-yr. NFL vet, you'd think he would do better than CornWash in preseason. Having played with the Jags, I wonder whether he is a "darling" of Tucker?
  6. DavidL

Ratings:
    +679 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    795ß
    I agree. Scott explodes across the line at the snap, and has good closing speed on the QB.

CornWash would be more effective if he reacted faster to the snap and read the plays better. Maybe he can watch Scott and the other more experienced DE's and learn this stuff.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,505ß

Trevor Scott is a lock to make it. The last DE spot is a battle between Austen Lane, David Bass and CWash and they're ranked in that order as of the last game.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +650 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    331ß
    I got to watch more of game today. I have to say Corn looked not half bad against the 2's. However, if Bears let him go I bet he gets picked up fast.
  9. DavidL

Ratings:
    +679 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    795ß
    Watch the 3rd quarter where we had their #72 (Josh Wells) play against both Scott and Cornwash. Wells is raw as hell but he is 6-6, 310. On running plays, he was blowing Scott backwards. Against CornWash, he was getting knocked back into his own backfield. CornWash can bench 500 pounds. He was tossing this guy around pretty easily. If he can just get his moves worked out, he could be in the rotation by next season. Keeping Lane or Bass over him would be a mistake. Bears already have 4 good DEs.

They need to keep him and develop him. He blew away every DE in the 2013 NFL combine...

http://nflcombineresults.com/nflcombinedata.php?year=2013&pos=DE&college=

In fact, he beats nearly all the interior linemen on bench press. This is just pure athletic ability. Can coach a lot of stuff, but not that.
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  10. B-ell-y-iot

B-ell-y-iot Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +284 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    246ß
    I can't attest to the Wells' domination of Scott, but I can say Washington was blowing this guy up all over the place. Wells looked like a tackling dummy or a single padded sled against Washington and this translated into some productivity from Washington.

Washington got in the rotation late in the 3rd QTR (5:40) but started his domination of Wells immediately. It wasn't until the 1st play of the 4th QTR that his push paid dividends. During the first play he pushed Wells back and was able to free up an arm to trip at Storm Johnson. This contact slowed Johnson down and allowed Brock Vereen (and a couple of other Bears) to take him down.

Later in the 4th QTR he got past Wells again in the backfield and was able to run down Storm in the backfield. Johnson fell forward for a 1 yard gain. At 3:14 in the 4th QTR Washington makes his biggest defensive play getting the edge and push on Wells and driving him back to the ball carrier, Storm Johnson, where he obliterates him for a 2 yard loss.

The consistency of Corn's domination in the 3rd QTR should at least get him some looks with the second team next week. I wouldn't hold him up to Trevor Scot who was playing beastly in the 1st QTR this week and last, but I would say he looked more dominate than Lane and Bass.

To assist with that, he had a monster play on STEAMS on the Bear's final kickoff. I think he needs more productivity on STEAMS to really set himself apart at this stage.

I like the dude. I think he's superior than Lane or Bass. Let's see what he can do against the twos or ones.
  11. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +735 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    698ß
    I do not have game tape to reference but thought it was Bass who forced the quick throw from Bortles in the End Zone. Thought it was late in 2nd qtr but could have been early 3rd. Thought Bass played ok also. Scott is going to be on the team, Lane drew a couple penalties, holding 2X I believe, one may have been hands to the face??, I was not that impressed. Thought C Wash looked ok too. One spot open and I believe it will be Bass but C Wash willl probably get a good look if not next week as the starters will play longer then in the last game before the season starts. If they release him I susect he will be signed elsewhere, but would be nice to stash on the PS for another year if possible.
  12. DavidL

Ratings:
    +679 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    795ß
    It was at 14:22 in 4Q. It was an easy play for Bass, because he was totally unblocked and Bortles was running to his side. CornWash beat his blocker and was also in the endzone pursuing from other side.
  13. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,535 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    717ß
    I agree. He is making progress. I think this staff is smart enough that if they have a guy with huge upside that is making progress, they would keep him. However, they have to balance that with number of open slots and who is playing better RIGHT NOW. Then you look at the delta between what Cornwash is doing now and what the other best available player is doing now and try to project Cornwashes growth, put a probability on it and decide if the current difference is worth the possible future benefits.
    Definitely an inexact science. As far as I'm concerned I would not want to project whether or not Cornwash stays. If I were a betting man, I would say it depends on the continued growth in these last two games. It would not only close the gap in current production but also make the probability of future growth a larger number and thus providing them a greater comfort factor in keeping Cornwash.
  14. Warlock

Warlock Rookie

Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    28ß
    Was it a designed roll-out or did CornWash flush him that way? When I was watching, it looked like CornWash flushed him that way... he got a great jump off the snap and drove his blocker deep into the backfield.
  15. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,505ß
    I sure didn't see as much "dominance" out of CWash as B- saw. The biggest play he made all game was that tackle on the KOR. The guy is a physical freak and if they can still see upside in him then keeping him and Bass over Lane would make sense to me.

Lane will never be more than a journeyman DE and if the other two can play consistently and bring a decent pass rush then it would be smart to keep them. We stole Bass from Oakland who wanted to keep him and he's got mad athletic ability as shown in that tip and pick he took for a TD last year.

I'm not down and CWash for any other reason than his play and what I see is laziness. While you saw him pushing guys around B- what I saw was a guy who causally trotted over towards a play that went opposite him. He wasn't even trying to chase it down. Luckily we contained it and I think it was Wilson or Wilson and someone else who made the tackle but CWash was loafing.

Earlier he just rushed upfield and allowed the RB do take the gap he just left running right behind him for a nice gain. He never even bothered to read run he just took off upfield on a bull rush and took himself right out of the play. So physical freak or not has he got the smarts and the motor to play at this level? Just being honest here.
  16. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,535 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    717ß
    Just speaking for myself, I certainly did not see dominance. I just saw improvement. However, I think that is what coaches look for -- a high ceiling with progression made towards that ceiling. Whether the progress is enough and whether others are perceived to have a better value than him is a question only the coaches can answer, and not until the last preseason game has been played. Even then, it is an educated guess, although I am having a much better confidence factor that honest evaluations are being made under Trestman rather than Lovie.
  17. blinddeafmute

blinddeafmute DaBears Ditka

Ratings:
    +1,418 / 4 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    41ß
    My prediction is that cornwash gets delegated to the practice.squad this year and possibly moved up at some point.during.the.season.due to the age of our defensive ends. (Injuries or whatever). He has potential.
  18. DavidL

Ratings:
    +679 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    795ß
    You have a good eye for his bad plays, but seem to miss the good ones. They had only that one good running play on him. They tried two more after that, and both were stuffed in the backfield. He knocked the tackle into the backfield and made solo tackle on one and slowed the runner on the other to allow Robertson to clean up with the tackle. The play-by-play guy on TV gave him credit for busting up that play, so I don't know how you missed it. On other plays he was pretty consistently penetrating and knocking Wells into the backfield. I think it was no accident that they called the Bortles rollout to the Bass side rather than CornWash side. CornWash got past Wells on that play, too, and was chasing Bortles in the endzone.
  19. B-ell-y-iot

B-ell-y-iot Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +284 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    246ß
    I think the hardest aspect of evaluating the guy fairly in the Jags game was the fact that he didn't get on the field until late in the 3rd QTR (5:40).
    I definitely agree with this point. He was matched up against #72 (Rookie LT Josh Wells) who was playing with the 2nd team offense. Wells started playing toward the end of the 2nd QTR (3:35) and had a chance to go up against Trevor Scott. By comparison, Wells seemed to handle Scott better than he did Washington; however, Scott offers a different style of play than Washington. Washington is a bull-rushing, physically dominant player. Wells could not match his strength, but this worked, sometimes, to Washington's disadvantage. Washington would work himself out of a play by his push. Scott, reversely, got sucked up in Wells grasp, but stayed in position. Scott is the better DE and I don't want to make an argument or even suggest that he isn't. He has a larger arsenal of weapons to use and he plays smart football (he is disciplined and knows assignments and his place with a group).

Earlier I made a statement regarding his dominance that few people bought into:
    I put together a short video to show what I'm talking about. Again, this isn't too suggest he's a superior end than Scott, but it does, I believe, show that he has a physical dominance over Wells and he used that dominance consistently which resulted in some production (and a couple of busts, one of which could have been exploited when he bit on a fake and worked himself out of position on the right end).

I also disagree with the point about his lack of pursuit (which sounds like a ding on his effort/passion for playing the game)
    I don't know that he has the highest motor on the field, but I wouldn't characterize him as "not trying" or as "casually trotting" both of which suggest he just doesn't give a shit about making the team. I think for Corny, this is make it or break it time with the Bears and I can't imagine that he's going half speed when his ass is on the line (even if he might do so if given a contract). There is one run to the right side of the line in which Corny is taking an angle to the ball carier where his speed doesn't show up, but, to me the intent of this lack of speed more has to do with getting a good line on the play than with a casual approach to getting the ball carrier. I also think that when a DE isn't on a rotation they tend to get a little winded which slows them down a bit. That happens to the best of the best. A rested DE is going to run faster than a DE who's been on the field for awhile.

In short, I think Corny looked good against Josh Wells. He looked better in this game than Bass or Lane. That doesn't mean he's the hands down better player and it doesn't mean he will get brought along on the roster as the coaching staff has a lot more knowledge than my amateur ass, but he looked good out there with the 3rd team D and I for one having him making the roster if he keeps that kind of play up.
  20. DavidL

Ratings:
    +679 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    795ß
    My prediction is that CornWash would not clear waivers, if they try to keep him for the practice squad.