If Corn Wash gets cut at some point this preseason...

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BradMustersGhost, Aug 14, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,201ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    The guy was up against third tier players probably no better or worse than he played against in college and he still couldn't make an IMPACT. That's what coaches are looking for. There are guy ahead of him who played as well or better against starters and primary backups and some of those guys have made an impact.

When you spend an entire year with a team and can't even get on the field for the worst defense in the league and then can't even elevate your play beyond third string in camp the following year you aren't good enough to play at this level. It's time to stop believing all the draft hype. He's not Corn. He's toast.

2. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,816ß
    The way I am figuring it, he is head-to-head with Bass for the final DE spot on the roster. He clearly did more than Bass in this game, and needs to keep it up. With his 4.55 speed in 40, he's a good guy for kick coverage. That's the other way he can jump ahead of Bass. I mean, I look at these two guys, and CornWash has tremendous upside potential with his physical attributes. No so much with Bass.

#22 DavidL, Aug 16, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    5,094ß
    I've seen some good things from BOTH Washington and Bass at times. I figure we don't know how the coaches view this. They may see Washington as a better talent than some of us do - and better than Bass. Or worse than him. I'm just thinking we'll have to wait and see how this unfolds. I did like Washington's performance in the last game. I saw what some here have described. He was putting heat on the QB consistently. Not sacks, but he was pressuring the QB and making a difference. As far as the fact that he was going against the 3rd string guys, I figure he can't help who he's facing. That's out of his hands. But he did look better than I've seen him in the past. Anyway, we'll just wait and see how it all unfolds. There may be a couple of surprises (to us fans) as to who makes this team - and who doesn't.

• Like Like x 1
  4. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    657ß
    I know this is the Corn's thread but I sure do like Scott. That is all.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,816ß
    Thanks. I think Rik and Soul are selling him short. I can't even figure who is the guy who was blocking him. There is no #72 listed on their roster! In any case, Bass was playing in 4Q also, so it is a fair comparison between them.

I see in the current depth chart that CornWash is now 3rd behind Scott and Bass is listed as "other." This A. Lane guy has only 1 tackle in the preseason. CornWash had 2 on Friday. Considering that Lane is a 4-yr. NFL vet, you'd think he would do better than CornWash in preseason. Having played with the Jags, I wonder whether he is a "darling" of Tucker?

6. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,816ß
    I agree. Scott explodes across the line at the snap, and has good closing speed on the QB.

CornWash would be more effective if he reacted faster to the snap and read the plays better. Maybe he can watch Scott and the other more experienced DE's and learn this stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  7. soulman

soulman Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,201ß

Trevor Scott is a lock to make it. The last DE spot is a battle between Austen Lane, David Bass and CWash and they're ranked in that order as of the last game.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    657ß
    I got to watch more of game today. I have to say Corn looked not half bad against the 2's. However, if Bears let him go I bet he gets picked up fast.

9. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,816ß
    Watch the 3rd quarter where we had their #72 (Josh Wells) play against both Scott and Cornwash. Wells is raw as hell but he is 6-6, 310. On running plays, he was blowing Scott backwards. Against CornWash, he was getting knocked back into his own backfield. CornWash can bench 500 pounds. He was tossing this guy around pretty easily. If he can just get his moves worked out, he could be in the rotation by next season. Keeping Lane or Bass over him would be a mistake. Bears already have 4 good DEs.

They need to keep him and develop him. He blew away every DE in the 2013 NFL combine...

http://nflcombineresults.com/nflcombinedata.php?year=2013&pos=DE&college=

In fact, he beats nearly all the interior linemen on bench press. This is just pure athletic ability. Can coach a lot of stuff, but not that.

#29 DavidL, Aug 16, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  10. B-ell-y-iot

B-ell-y-iot Veteran
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    817ß
    I can't attest to the Wells' domination of Scott, but I can say Washington was blowing this guy up all over the place. Wells looked like a tackling dummy or a single padded sled against Washington and this translated into some productivity from Washington.

Washington got in the rotation late in the 3rd QTR (5:40) but started his domination of Wells immediately. It wasn't until the 1st play of the 4th QTR that his push paid dividends. During the first play he pushed Wells back and was able to free up an arm to trip at Storm Johnson. This contact slowed Johnson down and allowed Brock Vereen (and a couple of other Bears) to take him down.

Later in the 4th QTR he got past Wells again in the backfield and was able to run down Storm in the backfield. Johnson fell forward for a 1 yard gain. At 3:14 in the 4th QTR Washington makes his biggest defensive play getting the edge and push on Wells and driving him back to the ball carrier, Storm Johnson, where he obliterates him for a 2 yard loss.

The consistency of Corn's domination in the 3rd QTR should at least get him some looks with the second team next week. I wouldn't hold him up to Trevor Scot who was playing beastly in the 1st QTR this week and last, but I would say he looked more dominate than Lane and Bass.

To assist with that, he had a monster play on STEAMS on the Bear's final kickoff. I think he needs more productivity on STEAMS to really set himself apart at this stage.

I like the dude. I think he's superior than Lane or Bass. Let's see what he can do against the twos or ones.