If I see Mel Tucker face to face....

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Ski-Whiz, Nov 24, 2013.

1. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,272 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    217ß
    Ok, the turnover machine goes away, DE's look like school children, 2nd string rb's look like HOF'ers, and tackling looks like whiffle ball. There still exists a structure of a coverage scheme where the FS doesn't get posterized week after friggin' week. How sad is it as a fan where you'd rather just see them play dime coverage so you can at least have an excuse for the near 260 yards of run fail.

It's part and parcel: part players and part coaches.
  2. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,608 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    662ß
    Oh, I agree, but I'm placing a bigger onus on this on the number of injuries we have.
  3. short faced bear

Ratings:
    +1,272 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    217ß
    Take it as an individual sport. Say MMA. If you can't teach a guy to double leg, sprawl, jab, or choke it doesn't matter if it's first team or scrubs. Your not just poop your ultra poop. I'd say both injuries and coaching are equally suspect.
  4. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,608 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    662ß
    I strongly disagree with this statement. Using the MMA example, do you think Anderson Silva's trainers could get anything out of Kimbo Slice? No, because he's not nearly as good as Silva, and he flat out doesn't know the nuances of professional MMA fighting. How would that make Silva's trainers suddenly bad?
  5. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +2,260 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,656ß
    I agree... ANd what keeps bringing me back to Tucker is that the issue is across the board. It is not just one player that is not in position or is not tackling or making penalties. It seems to be across the board. So then your focus changes to the coach. And that is not to say that the players are not guilty or that injuries are not a factor. I'm just saying if you break it down, Tucker is sitting right in the middle of it all.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +2,260 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,656ß
    Of course not. Kimbo doesn't understand Brazilian.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. short faced bear

Ratings:
    +1,272 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    217ß
    You can take it as chess, checkers, backgammon or parchezzi FWIW. If you can't teach Bobby Fisher the basics of the board you functionally dislocate your talent-be it 1st round or 7th. Your not in a position to win or to improve if you lack fundamentals.
  8. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +222 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    606ß
    If you are Mel and really slick ... you blame it on players that he didnt draft.

That keeps your ass alive for another year.

And now we may have to ask ourselves one serious question ... would you want Lovie Smith as a D.C. ?
  9. A-11

A-11 Veteran

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    It is, only this year they need it.
  10. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +786 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    433ß
    Don't hold back, man, tell us what you really think!

Seriously though, I agree with you. Didn't like the hire, and I want to see him fired. Let Hoke take over and finish the season if that's what it takes. There is no reason for so many players to be playing so poorly. The DC has to actually do some coaching and he's not getting it done.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,009 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,709ß
    but, but...the folks are telling us he's just the poor victim of a team that's had injuries. Show some compassion for the poor misunderstood coach of the #32 ranked run defense. I'm sure the OTHER teams in the NFL didn't have any injuries. Poor Mel. My heart goes out to him :-(

....and I'm sure Adrian Peterson will have compassion on Mel's boy on Sunday too.
  12. A-11

A-11 Veteran

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Even if unjust, it would send a message.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +2,260 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,656ß
    I'm kinda partial to the " he's not running his own D" argument. A defense that was top 5 for years with the same language etc and most of the guys (yeah, they got injured, but not all right away) still there, and he not only can't keep it from sliding... he takes it to the basement.

But installing a completely different system is supposed to go smoother. I keep thinking I'm missing how the odds favor blowing it up and starting fresh for a guy that can't maintain status quo. Is this just me? Am I just dense? ok, forget that one... Am I wrong?
  14. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,009 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,709ß
    Good point. This just seems like the defense-equivalent of what we suffered with the offense under Lovie Smith. It seems to me that we never could get the offense right until we got a coordinator (and head coach) who could coach well & upgraded the players. Prior to that we just wasted entire seasons with people who didn't have a clue. Folks gave them excuses (like they're giving Tucker excuses now on defense) but in the end we had to get a decent coach and decent talent. I see the same thing now with the defense. We need Emery to restock the cupboard, and bring in a better defensive coordinator coach. I'm sure the players on defense will have zero confidence in Tucker after this season's debacle (and I'm not sure they bought in to him to begin with).
  15. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +2,260 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,656ß
    he's kinda shy that way. You need to coax him outta his shell...
  16. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +2,260 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,656ß
    yeah, that's how I see it. I've seen this movie. Any time wasted just brings out the timeline.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,608 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    662ß
    Dan Pompei
    Is the Bears' defensive digression due to personnel or Mel Tucker?… My take:

When a unit plays as poorly as the Bears played Sunday, it's a poor reflection on every person associated with it. This is shaping up to be the worst Bears defense I've ever seen. No one in the defensive meeting room is going to get a game ball for that debacle. I don't believe there is a defensive coordinator in the game who could have made a significant difference in this defense. However, I do believe the defense would be significantly better if it had Henry Melton, Stephen Paea, Turk McBride, Nate Collins, Sedrick Ellis, Lance Briggs, D.J. Williams, Charles Tillman and Kelvin Hayden. As the old axiom goes, it's not about the Xs and Os, it's about the Jimmys and Joes. The way I saw it, there were a lot of mistakes made because of inexperience, unfamiliarity and lack of confidence. That's what happens when you have as many injuries to as many key players as the Bears have had.

Looking through his history on this website, he and I share pretty much the same opinions. I think you guys will find his takes on various subjects involving the Bears very interesting. To put it more eloquently: Pompei > Tebow > ESPN.
  18. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,227 / 3 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    602ß
    Remember how Lovie couldn't get an OC to come here when he first got hired? Tucker was choice #3 or 4 or 40. I think we are going to see a change after the year.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +2,260 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,656ß
    Do you? I'll take that bet and hope that I lose.
  20. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +222 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    606ß
    The combo of TOUB and MARINELLI was too good to let walk. But we did.