If Jay is at his ceiling, is this good enough, or should we be looking for better?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Aug 20, 2013.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    5,648ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    My gut feeling is that we're seeing Jay's ceiling right now. I'm thinking this is "as good as it gets" with him. And as many have accurately pointed out, he is better than the QB's we've seen around here over many years. He is gifted with loads of physical ability, but limited by decision making, especially in big games against teams like Green Bay - the teams we must beat to go to the next level.

But is that "good enough" to satisfy you that we should go with him in future years? Or, should we try to see if Trestman can develop a guy who is even better for us? Is "good enough" truly good enough? Should we be happy we have the guy, and just let it go at that?

• Like Like x 2
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,498ß
    Looking for better; got 2 FT's for his ass if he cannot improve if necessary. And it's not b/c he cannot get the team to winning it's b/c the turn overs are to costly. But I don't think we've seen him at his best yet. Lets see how he plays against Det/Minny/GB, if he can have a winning record, while splitting w/GB then I think we'll be fine.

3. shark86x

shark86x
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,138ß
    Maybe I'm just getting brainwashed by the constant attacks on him by certain posters, but I am tiring of his decision making. I understand he's hearing footsteps because of the continual pressures our line gives up, and that is ingrained in his psyche, but why throw to a double-triple teamed BM? Throw it away....

I think if we can get decent o-line play, he may settle down and play better, but right now it's natural for him to be ducking for cover. It will take time for him to overcome that.

4. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    5,232ß
    Well, as you say, this is a 2 part question. IF Cutler is at his ceiling.... Is there anyone here that can answer that question?

For the sake of argument, lets say he is at his ceiling... Yes, I would be looking to upgrade. But I would not pull the trigger until I saw performance on the field. Similar to Kap in SF. They had him and thought he was good, but they did not release their starter until they were confident. In other words, there are many worse QBs than Cutler even if he does not improve. I don't want to get caught up in getting rid of him as opposed to trying to make us better at QB. The focus should be making us better, not finding a reason to dump him. So if we get better, yes, by all means, swap him out. He is no different than anyone else.

I was hoping to get a feeling if Blanchard might be that guy, but his development just took a step back this year.

#4 Bearsinhouston, Aug 20, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
    • Like Like x 4
  5. Bearstuff

Bearstuff
    Expand Collapse
    Yes, in the woods.
    Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    847ß
    If this is his ceiling, then he isn't good enough, but still qualifies as the best we've had in decades.

At least with his skill set, all things are possible. I loved Jim Miller, but he wasn't a threat for any opposing defense. We were going to run it 35-40 times and punt 8 times a game. As much as I liked Miller, I'm happier with Cutler....even with the faults. Sure he will make mistakes, but at least defenses have to respect his physical abilities. No 8+ in the box & running off the bus.

• Like Like x 1
  6. motownbear

motownbear
    Expand Collapse
    derp daderp daderpidity derp

ßearz ßuckz:
    if this is his ceilings the excuses on why he isnt one of the upper echelon qbs in the league has to stop

as to your question you look for another qb. Whatever Cutler does he is going to command top money cause fact is qbs are tough to come by. So would you put 100mil into the Cutler we see today? Not me. Will he get a killer deal like that? Probably. I would let him play out this year, franchise him, then draft his replacement if big IF this is indeed his ceiling

• Like Like x 1
  7. motownbear

motownbear
    Expand Collapse
    derp daderp daderpidity derp

ßearz ßuckz:
    remember we traded for a 4000 yard plus qb that under martz controlled his interceptions

the talent is there.............JA and Lovie did nothing absolute f-in nothing to get this offense respectable

• Like Like x 1
  8. soulman

soulman
    Expand Collapse
    Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,938ß
    I've seen Cutler play in Denver and he's nowhere near his ceiling but if people expect that he's gonna turn into an All Pro overnight in another new offense then those who do won't be convinced that there's any other option left but to move on. There's no doubt in my mind that he can easily pass for 4500-5000 yards in this offense once the offense is formed around his strong points and it's nowhere near that yet.

Jay Cutler wants to be the best QB in the NFL, he wants to play for the Bears, and he wants to win a championship because he knows it's the ONLY way to shut his detractors up. This guy is the most talented QB we've seen here since Sid Luckman and we have no one even close to replacing him. Why some are so anxious to be rid of him now that Trestman is here and they're finally paying attention to the offense for a change is beyond me.

FWIW it sure looks like Emery wants to keep him around and the way it looks to me is the only hesitation is the cost. The fact that we didn't extend his deal and that he's in year one of a new offense may actually work to the Bears advantage from a dollars and cents point of view. We can probably assume that he won't break records or take the team to a SB this year like Flacco did in Baltimore. If that's the case he commands less on a long term deal or he's willing to sign for another year or two at most with a modest raise and he's still looking for the big one that comes if he does get to and win a SB.

Guy with his arm and his mobility don't come out college every year and in order to get the Andrew Luck caliber, can't miss guy, you'd better have one of the top two picks and how likely is that to happen? Instead of hoping he fails we should be hoping this "marriage" between him and Trestman works out well and that this the beginning of a road to the SB which still may not take place until 2014 or 2015.

If they decide not to stick it out with him Emery would be a bloody fool to just release him to FA without getting something good in the way of picks or players in return. If Cutler becomes a FA he'll have half the NFL knocking on his door and won't stay unsigned very long. Half the coaches in the NFL would have loved to have walked into the situation Trestman did with a very good QB in place and all of them would be glad to take him off our hands if we don't want him.

Christ, look at who we have playing behind him. Josh McCown, and now Trent Green and Carson Palmer's brother!!!! Jeezus, if that's not enough to make us appreciate Cutler then it's hopeless.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    5,232ß
    Lovie was a nice guy, but truth be told, he was a train wreck for the franchise.

10. zelezo vlk

zelezo vlk
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    Heck he played better two years ago before that thumb injury. He's good enough to win, but there are multiple things that need to be done before we see his ceiling.

1. The line plays well enough to keep him from being hit/pressured/sacked every dropback.
    2. Better playcalling
    3. Jay needs to stop with the stupid decisions and go through all of his reads.

If those happen (and we're already seeing some improvement), then Jay will be good enough and a dark horse for the Pro Bowl. He definitely has the weapons and arm for it.