If Jay is at his ceiling, is this good enough, or should we be looking for better?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Aug 20, 2013.

1. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +122 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    14ß
    I hope so. I would hate to get locked into Cutler at the end of the season if he doesn't have what it takes. That is my greatest fear that we 'settle' for him.
  2. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    TB1 I think if Cutler shows improvement this year, especially as the year goes on, we would probably franchise him. Then if he really gets it in year 2 of this offense he gets a bigtime contract. If he shows he is the same guy he has been or worse with little or no improvement he'll be gone.

My feeling is Cutler will at the very least improve as the year goes on & get the franchise tag next year. Then next year we will all be having the conversation about wether he will become a real franchise QB. Under Trestman I say (& hope & pray) he becomes that franchise QB.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,631 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    279ß
    You should always be looking for someone better. But, dont cut ties with what you have until you get that something better.
    • Like Like x 4
  4. Adibear

Adibear Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    to be fair to Cutler in the past he hasnt had a O-line and had to learn what seems like a new offence every year...so I'm gonna give a him a few games before I start calling for his head..
  5. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +122 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    14ß
    I like the idea of using the franchise tag next year. I don't want to get stuck with good but not good enough.
  6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,866 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    115ß
    That is true, and I totally agree. But now that he has a respectable set of coaches and players (better than many NFL QB's have IMHO), we should see some improvement THIS year. If he shows no real improvement and just keeps folding in big games, then we have a problem. He doesn't have to do a 180 turnaround improvement this year, but he should show us some better decision making. If not, then we'd better be looking at a "Plan B" for the future.

I see a lot of similarities here with us keeping a "good but not great" head coach in Lovie Smith. People thought we should keep him because he won a lot of games - and - he was the best coach we'd had in several years. True. But we had hit Lovie's ceiling. We were never going to win Super Bowls with him. We may have a similar "good but not great" guy in Cutler.

I just want to see us take that next step towards WINNING a super bowl. If Jay is improved and can get us there, then fine. If not, then let's get the guy who CAN get us to the promised land. It may not be easy to get a better QB than Jay, but that doesn't mean we give up hope. Otherwise we should have just kept Lovie around & enjoyed these 3rd place finishes in the NFC-N. Lovable losers like the Cubs. Mediocrity instead of championships.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Adibear

Adibear Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    JABF99 we got to the Superbowl with Grossman,I think we can do it with Jay
  8. jbunch14

jbunch14 Veteran

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    14ß
    I don't see Cutler going anywhere. Who are you going to replace him with? There is no one even in the same galaxy as him talent-wise coming out this next draft. I think JaDaveon Clowney is the best QB coming out this next year, and he is a DE!! Cutler FINALLY has the offensive pieces around him this year, and a coach that doesn't dismiss the offense as a "necessary evil" like the last regime did. There will definitely be a learning curve, but this is his put up or shut up year. I believe that at the end of the year, he will sign a new 5 year contract for around 17M per, and he will be allowed to grow with Trestman in this offense. Positive changes for the offense are-a-comin' folks!!
  9. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    LOL Yea I don't think Clowney is a QB. And if you want to see QBs with greater talent than Cutler then watch Teddy Bridgewater, Derek Carr, Tajh Boyd, Zack Mettenburger, AJ McCarron, David Fales, and of course Johnny Manziel but his status is up in the air at this point. Yea whatever are the Bears going to do if they get rid of Cutler. LOL How about we trade up and get a more talented QB and one that has actually won at the college level, unlike Cutler.
  10. Tarkus

Tarkus Veteran

Ratings:
    +270 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Don't forget how poorly Rex played that year even with one of the easiest schedules you'd ever see. By about week 5, when opposing OCs got some game film & took away his comfort zones, it increasingly got worse, week in & week out.

Easy schedule & a great D effort with a ton of lucky bounces, that's the only reason we made it to the SB. All the stars were aligned. Shame that it was used as some sort of reason to keep LS as tho it was brilliant coaching.

That won't happen again...
  11. Adibear

Adibear Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    have to agree with you Tarkus,it did seem like all the luck was with us,untill the Superbowl when it ran out...I still remember the Cards game when Grossman was so shit it was unbelievable and we still won.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Tarkus

Tarkus Veteran

Ratings:
    +270 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Painful memories, eh?

That Card game, while I loved every second at the end, left me with a bad feeling like I stole something...
  13. jbunch14

jbunch14 Veteran

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    14ß
    Do you honestly believe that Tajh Boyd is more talented than Cutler? Really? Derek Carr? Cutler did win at the college level, and of the games that they didn't win, very rarely were they not close. This while playing for the whipping boy of the SEC. I'm not stating that Cutler is a top-tier QB, but players like RG3 and Luck are more talented than Jay, not the list that you have compiled. It will be interesting to see the success that your list has in the next 3-4 years once they reach the NFL.
  14. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Apparently you've never watched either of those guys play. Carr and Boyd have far greater talent than Cutler and equally powerful arms and actually have a mind for the game. Those guys are going to be great QBs in this league. This '14 class is going to eclipse the '83 QB class. The Bears can do so much better than Cutler.
  15. jbunch14

jbunch14 Veteran

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    14ß
    I guess we will have to agree to disagree about the pedigree of this year's QB class. Every year there are player that shine in the college ranks, and rarely does that translate to the NFL.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Strangerwithcandy11

Strangerwithcandy11 Head Coach

Ratings:
    +1,482 / 14 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    28ß
    I'm hoping he'll be around for awhile. His decision making is questionable at times BUT his decision making has to happen NOW in most cases cause if its not he's dead lol. I'm willing to give him a pass on a lot of mistakes because the clock in his head in stuck on fast forward and for good reason. IF you can show me bad decision making behind a line that allows time to make a read that isn't the first then we'll talk.
  17. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +281 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    19ß
    There were calls for both Eli Manning and Joe Flacco to be benched or cut during some point during thier runs to the Superbowl.

I watch the Ravens as much as I watch the Bears, and I can promise you that a change in Offensive Coordinator, from Cam Cameron to Jim Caldwell set the Ravens back initially. The Ravens lost 4 of 5 to finish the season under Caldwell, but you could see the improvements in the offensive play calls and production on the offensive side of the ball.

As they headed into the playoffs, they were just starting to hit their stride and it resulted in Joe throwing for 11 TDs in the Postseason.

There is no way in hell do I think Jay has reached his ceiling. I'll eat my words if we do not see an improvement in both the offense and Jay Cutler by Mid Season.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,866 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    115ß
    Those are good points. Flacco and Manning did improve as players. Now let's see if Cutler can do the same. We'll know by the end of this season.