If Jay is at his ceiling, is this good enough, or should we be looking for better?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Aug 20, 2013.

1. BlackDiamond

BlackDiamond
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach

ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    I'm thinking you've gotta give a guy AT LEAST two years in an offense before you start thinking maybe he can't cut it. I think he's got the goods, personally. Hopefully we won't be changing offenses next year.

2. Nakoma1

Nakoma1
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    THIS is all on the McCaskeys whatever happens with Jay

IMO Lovie & JA should have been dumped a year sooner than they were,...

I m giving Cutty the benny of the doubt ,..Although ,.. Im not too happy with what I have seen thus far ,... BUT it is the pre- season ,...is it vanilla ball or is the offense going to be no better in the Passing game?? At least the running game has shown signs of improvement

Chit ,....Phil's been making hay as soon as last year with getting Marsh and drafting Ashlon ,.. There is no doubt what he was thinking at the time

To answer your question NO he is not

3. Xa0sG0rilla

Xa0sG0rilla
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    78ß
    Whether Jay is going to be the long term starter, or just the QB under center until the bears find the right someone is ultimately up to Jay. Cutler, if he gets no better than he has been in the last 2-3 years, should be the QB who sets the standard for the next bears QB. If you want to start at QB for the Bears, All you have to do is be proven better than the current QB, whomever that is.

Didn't I say something like this back in Feb.?

I will add that keeping jay around for a while does give the bears the chance to trade him to some cellar dweller team for a early 2nd round draft pick (or two). Which would be handy for taking some (more) of the edge off of what the Bears paid to get him.

4. Jimmors

Jimmors
    Expand Collapse
    The Rhymenoceros
    Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,193ß
    People have such a short memory. Check this out:

[​IMG]

Few things to note here:

1.If you notice, the 2 years he threw for the most yards was 2008 (DEN) and 2009 (CHI), and you'll ALSO note that 09 was the last season he played all 16 games. So, it would stand to reason, that if he can get a full season in again, he should put up some decent numbers.

2.Number of sacks (purple boxes). Seriously...look at that. When he was in Denver, his OL was PHENOMENAL, less than 1 sack allowed per game.

3.TD/INT ratio, Passer Rating. If you notice, these numbers have remained statistically similar throughout his career.

4.Completions/Attempts. Again...under Shanahan in Denver, they were crazy for the pass, attempting 38.5 passes per GAME.

Add up all these points, and what do you get? Simple...YES, Jay has reached his "ceiling," he is not going to be any better than he is now, he WILL throw a lot of Interceptions regardless. BUT, with a proper OL, and with an offensive guru like Trestman calling the plays, he can still put up 4,000+ yards per year and be a pro-bowl caliber QB. Most of his drop in stats (such as completion percentage, yards, sacks) can probably be attributed to poor OL while in Chicago, but the Bears are working on fixing this issue. And if Jay is not the answer, then at least we will have the OL for our future Qb.

#14 Jimmors, Aug 20, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  5. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    5,287ß
    I am confident that #1 and #2 will be fine. It's #3 that is concerning. At camp and in the first two pre-season games, he is still struggling with ints and over-using B.Marsh. This doesn't mean he can't get better. He may (as some pointed out, he has yet another offense to learn and new receivers/TE's).

It's not hating on Jay to be worried about the picks. He's had a rough camp int-wise. I also "get it" that it's not easy to get a better QB if he has, in fact, hit his ceiling and can't beat the better teams like Green Bay. But just because it's not easy, doesn't mean it's something we should roll-over on and accept. It's like those "lovable losers" the Cubs. Some folks just laugh it all off and "accept" the mediocrity. I'm just not wired that way. I want the Bears to be able to win a super bowl or more in my remaining lifetime. Somebody always comes back saying "but not everyone can win a super bowl" and that attitude for the Bears is just not acceptable to me. Sure it's hard. But what's the point? Just settle?

I'm not giving up on Jay, but I "see what I see" so far. I'm getting that creepy feeling in my gut that THIS may be pretty darned near his ceiling. A guy who can beat the bad teams, but who falls apart against the Green Bay level teams & does the "Bad Rex" thing. As I said, I sure hope I'm wrong. We need him to step up to the next level of play.

If this is as good as it gets, then I'm for seeing if Trestman is the guy who can really live up to his rep as a guru with QB's - and see what he can do with a young kid. If the QB guru thing is just hype (like Tice was supposed to be the OL guru) then we're screwed.

• Like Like x 1
  6. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    677ß
    Your previous post was also spot on. This what I like about this new regime everyone is held accountable even them (HC GM). That's the kind of guys you want to work for in any environment. Funny thing is Trestmen also seems like a nice guy and that was one of the reasons they said he wouldn't be a good coach. So why did being a nice guy work for Lovie getting HC job over trestman in 2004? Because Trestman was interviewed for the Bears HC in 2004 and he felt he had a strong chance of landing the job of course we ended up with numbnuts. So 9 years later we will be put on the path that should have occurred years ago.

7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    5,287ß
    Lovie was good, but would never have been great. Good but not great. He was the best coach we've had in many years, but he would never have been "The Guy" to win a super bowl in Chicago.

Cutler is also good but not great. I'm beginning to get a bit concerned that he may be the "good but not great" version of Lovie. He will win a lot of games for us, but is he "The Guy" who can lead us to Super Bowl wins? I guess we'll see.

8. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,144ß
    I didn't need to give Rex or Kyle 2 years in an O to know they didn't have it. Hell all I needed was 3 games to know KO didn't have it, and Rex all I needed was the 6-8 games of his last year to know he didn't have it.
    Harbaugh in SF needed 1 year to know Smith didn't have it also.

If the team decides that Cutler doesn't have what it takes to run Trestman's O, and they decide to move on, it won't take 2 years.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Tarkus

Tarkus
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    I don't see it as Jay reaching his ceiling & being prepared to settle for that or going out to try & upgrade. It's a simple assessment this year if he'll be a drive killer against the elite teams in the league.

1. We rely on defense as an identity which has served us well & one we have to keep replenishing to stay in the top 5
    2. We have Hester back on STs which he showed glimpses of a return to cutting back against the grain form that's worth it's weight in FP gold
    3. What appears to be some semblance of young talent on the OL
    4. A decent stable of WRs who have the size on most DBs
    5. A system that will utilize Forte's receiving as well as running
    6. A offensive minded HC who's resume's not too shabby working with QBs
    7. A DC who's smart enough to keep his ego in check & not try to force feed a new system to a successful D
    8. A GM who's not afraid to pull the trigger to make things happen

All the above will mean zip if Cutler continues to have brain spasms at the most ridiculous moments.

Know a bunch of Pack fans who laugh at the comparison between Rodgers & Cutler but I have to concede a major point. Sure, Rodgers has had HC/OC/scheme stability/WRs & time to mature before hitting the field but there's 1 thing I remember...Rodgers has also been heavily abused from a poor OL which just made him more conscious of poor risk/reward throws. He was cautious to a fault where Jay takes the 'tight coverage means I try to drill an opening somewhere'.

The game slowed down for someone like Rodgers where it hasn't in Cutler. So even if his #s stay relatively the same but he changes that 1 thing, I'd feel, along with all of the above, he'd be good enough for us to feel confident going into the playoffs.

• Like Like x 2
  10. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,144ß
    agree 100% w/Tarkus