If we had an opportunity to sign OT Jonathan Martin cheap, should we do that?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Feb 14, 2014.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,404 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    821ß
    He's 24 years old, starting left tackle, a 2 time All American & has started every game from day-1 in the NFL. It sounds like he is a solid (real solid) young left tackle talent. If we could sign him for peanuts once he moves on from Miami, would you be okay with that? Miami will probably part ways with him very soon. No way they want him after this fiasco, and no way he would ever go back there anyway.

I don't care what he did, or did not do in the Incognito thing. I'm just thinking about adding a solid talent for next to nothing money-wise. He could play RT for us for now. A Trestman locker room would probably seem like heaven compared to the crap he put up with in Miami. The guy would probably love to play on a decent team with decent players & coaches, instead of that madhouse in Miami.
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  2. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,910 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    921ß
    Same answer as this question.

Can he help improve our line?
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,404 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    821ß
    It would be a huge upgrade at RT. And the guy could be moved to LT if Bushrod leaves at some future point. He'd actually be a better LT than RT. He just went to the wrong team down there in Miami. The monkeys ran the zoo down there & were out of control. I figure that a team is going to get him on the cheap, and treat him right, and have a great player for many years to come - for peanuts investment.

EDIT: Just a few minutes ago it was posted on Rotoworld that it looks like the San Francisco 49ers will trade for him. Oh well. It sounded too good to be true anyway I guess :-)

LINK
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,019 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,051ß
    You mean the panzy that ratted out Incognito? No thanks. Im hardly approving of what Incognito did, but I have serious questions about Martin, his dedication, and why the team felt he needed to be toughened up.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,404 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    821ß
    The guy has talent. I don't care about what happened with mental midget Incognito. After this thing, Martin will be highly motivated to prove himself. Just watch what he does for the 49ers over the years if he does land there. I'll bet he'll ultimately be a Pro-Bowl level talent.....and I'll bet they get him for a song and a dance. The guy was a stellar athlete before he landed in the Miami hell hole. Reading about Martin pre-Miami, it sounds like he was a class act all the way. I'd love to see him in a Bears uni, but it looks like he's going to land in SF.
  6. draw2anderson35

draw2anderson35 Veteran

Ratings:
    +92 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    22ß
    Our first concern with the O-Line is at center... does Emery resign Garza or go elsewhere. Depth at tackle is something they will have to look at though... I think only Britton & Joe Long are under contract... and martin is an improvement over those two. We already have a pretty decent 23 yr old at RT in Jordan Mills, but competition from another potential starter could help improve all of them. I'd be open to it.

With the money invested in Bushrod, I do not see him having a chance taking his starting spot. When Bushrod's a 6+ million cap hit in 2016/2017 it might be a different story.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,404 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    821ß
    In a roundabout way Martin did the NFL a service here. The meat heads like Incognito will have to accept the fact that, yes, the NFL is a "workplace" too, and you can't bully your co-workers. And, like the rest of Americans (like us) we all have rules & laws we have to follow whether we like them or not. It sounds like Incognito will probably never work again in the NFL. It's too bad, but he brought this on himself.

Watch what happens with Michael Sam too. If he is harassed for his sexual orientation then watch the hammer fall on that team too. You can't do those things anymore. Whether you agree with it or not is irrelevant - you can't do it in the workplace anymore without risking consequences.

Same with the players who continue to get fined on a regular basis for disregarding the new player-safety rules. It doesn't matter if they agree with the new rules or not. It's irrelevant. They are just giving money away. Goodell doesn't lose any sleep over routinely taking Suh's money for him being stupid. Suh (like a few others) isn't intelligent enough to understand this.

The NFL is not an isolated entity. It is part of the rest of the country and world and will evolve like the rest of us have had to evolve. It's just "life" and reality.
  8. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,910 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    921ß
    Might have also made the NFL a more acceptable place and more aware of bullying of those who are "different". Now they will be more on the look out for bullying of Michael Sam.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,019 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,051ß
    that's a load of crap. Every workplace I have been in, every group of guys I have hung around w/have been very off color in it's nature and that includes women that are in the same department. This Idea that PC has taken hold in the real world is a load.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,910 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    921ß
    True or not, bullying should not be accepted or tolerated.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,910 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    921ß
  12. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,019 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,051ß
    stop , he was hardly bullied he was teased and in no harsher of a way then most men tease their closest friends. And he's an adult, and a person that has played a mans game since he was a child, this was hardly the first time he ever was part of this, and no doubt he took part in the teasing of other players.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,910 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    921ß
    Threatening to kill a man's family is no harsher than the way most men tease their friends?

Damn, I have been missing out on one of the best parts of friendship!
    • Like Like x 5
  14. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,404 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    821ß
    Ric, it's sure changed in our area. And workplaces who don't realize this are putting themselves in a risky situation financially. Times change. In my last two workplaces we had mandatory training seminars and told we will be fired if we harass coworkers (even off color jokes are a big no no now) - and this was driven by their insurance carriers. Harassment in the workplace is a BIG deal now. And if you are an employer, you'd better understand that it can be a huge deal financially. Again, it doesn't matter if we agree or disagree with this. That's irrelevant. It's just "the way it is" and reality today. The NFL is no different. They are gradually learning this fact.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,475 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    768ß
    Bullying has nothing to do with being "PC." There is ZERO excuse to bully another person, period.
    • Like Like x 4
  16. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,019 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,051ß
    HE WAS NOT BULLIED, the fact that the PC world is trying to equate this as bullying is laughable at best
  17. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,910 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    921ß
    What is your definition of bullying?

From dictionary.com

n. noun
    1. A person who is habitually cruel or overbearing, especially to smaller or weaker people.

2. A hired ruffian; a thug.

3. A pimp.
    v. verb
    1. To treat in an overbearing or intimidating manner.

2. To make (one's way) aggressively.

3. To behave like a bully.
  18. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,475 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    768ß
    Yes, the 144 page report is completely laughable.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,019 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,051ß
    In the mulitplpe areas I've worked, some high end(mortgage companies) recently(I'll be 40 this year) are like this. Talking heads want you to think times are changing but they aren't. I don't work in a white male only workforce, everywhere I've worked it's been multi cultural, mutlie deminsional and all have been the same, very loose and relaxed.

Harassment could be FAR larger then it actually is, and there is a reason for that. And this is not a typical job we are talking about, this is a workforce that s largely backing the "bully" and not just in their locker room, but in multiple locker rooms.
  20. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,404 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    821ß
    I guess my point is Ric, that it is a PC world now. I'm not saying it is right or wrong how things are changing. It's just the way it is. I do believe Incognito is a mental-midget mind in a big body who bullied teammates. I figure that is wrong. But whether I agree with it all or not, it is a PC world and you can't do it in the workplace without risking serious consequences. And FWIW, we have had harassment suits brought in my workplaces. In Illinois it is no laughing matter to businesses. If you condone it, bad things happen :) In this particular case, I doubt if Incognito will ever work in his profession again at the NFL level. Maybe in an arena league or something like that. But otherwise, his nice NFL career just got flushed down the crapper. It doesn't matter if he agrees with this or not. It doesn't matter if we do either. It's just the way it is now.