If we had an opportunity to sign OT Jonathan Martin cheap, should we do that?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Feb 14, 2014.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,311 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,478ß
    Butkus, actually he was a huge locker room problem his last year in Den(after the Cutler trade), which is why he was out of Den, and he was a huge locker room issue in Miami, which is why he's now in Chicago.
  2. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,048 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,291ß
    Perhaps because Marshall saw that Cutler could act like a little bitch to get out of a place he did not want to be, and followed his lead!
    • Like Like x 1
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,689 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,201ß
    I didn't intend to infer that B.Marsh's situation = Martins. The point that I was trying to make is that players become available each year who have some kind of baggage, which can make them available to a new team at a cheaper cost. No two of these situations are alike. Brandon Marshall's was a situation where Miami wanted to dump him for two 3rd round picks. Emery was wise enough to jump on that opportunity and we've all seen B.Marsh turn out to be a solid player, and even a good guy off the field. It paid off.

Maybe Martin is a guy worth kicking the tires on. Or, maybe not. And granted, some of these guys are bad news. Some never play in the NFL again (we've all seen players end up like this). But some do turn out to be a good pickup for a team who gives them a 2nd chance, and Martin may fit that category.

I'm not saying this guy (Martin) is going to be a blue-chip left tackle. He could end up being anything from a bust to a star.......and anything in between. But my main point is that it's always worth evaluating the risk/reward situation with these kind of guys (who have baggage and a reduced cost to acquire) and make an informed decision as to whether or not to take a chance with them. My gut feeling is that Emery is the kind of guy who will do this with any player who comes on the radar, and from time to time he will sign a guy whom he considers a bargain, or at least a player worth rolling the dice on. It doesn't sound like Martin is coming to Chicago anyway. So maybe this whole argument is moot at this point.
  4. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,311 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,478ß
    JABF, I'll agree that he could be anything between a bust and a star, but so can a 6th round rookie who will cost less. Joe Long could also be; and it doesn't come w/the baggage and media circus that is now Martin/Incognito.
  5. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,689 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,201ß
    I understand. And maybe Emery and the scouts see Martin as not worth it talent-wise.....who knows? I do believe Emery is the kind of GM who will take measured risks on players who may be worth giving a shot in hopes he finds a steal or diamond in the rough. With the parity now, I believe it's these little things that can separate the mediocre teams from the ones who are perennial strong teams. You just can't afford to leave any stone unturned. Also, Emery seems smart enough to always have a good exit plan for any player like this. If they don't work out for us, then have it set so you can cut them with minimal damage. It's the old risk/reward thing.
  6. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +709 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    487ß
    Aside from the time he made a fool of himself in practice(Which if you look into that incident you will find Marshall was upset with the amount of practice time he was being required to put in coming off his hip surgery in March...not saying he was right...but that played a role)...when was he a locker room problem in Denver? When was he a locker room problem in Miami? Name me one incident Marshall had in the locker room or on the practice field in Miami...one.
  7. Warlock

Warlock Veteran

Ratings:
    +158 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    81ß
    Actions speak louder than words and based on the rest of your post, I believe the above to be just lip-service.

Again, context. When you make a sweeping comment in relation to a specific statement, the context tells us that you're talking about the person making said statement. You implied that I didn't actually understand what was said, due to my inability to read. This is basic language arts, stuff that a surprising amount of people fail at. When I called people who fail to understand the point I was making, ignorant bastards, it's half observation (i.e. ignorant) and part emphasis (i.e. bastards). I have no idea if those people are actually bastards, so how exactly is that a personal attack, when it lacks any personal knowledge of the individuals? I didn't attack anyone based on personal knowledge... such as spelling or Grammar, intelligence, lifestyle, etc... if anything, I attacked their conclusions that stem from ignorance on the topic. If you've never been raped, sorry but you're speaking from a place of ignorance on the topic. Knowing someone who was raped, simply doesn't cut it. At most you can be empathetic, but without having empirical knowledge of it, you don't really understand what people actually go thru.

If you haven't seen people trying to justify the actions of Igconito in this thread... you simply aren't looking. Wolfman already posted the evidence of it. Additionally, I never commented on what punishment Incognito should suffer, I only said that he will get everything he deserves. Nor do you know my stance on those other players you've mentioned... my point this whole time was simply that no one deserves to suffer abuse and no justification will make abuse OK in my eyes.

You see, my intention isn't to hurt your feelings when I'm critical of your statements regarding my failures in language... it's done to try and teach. You've displayed multiple instances where you're failings with language have caused confusion on your part, yet you attack my own. I wasn't merely critical, I attempted to explain how/why you were having issues... all you did was state that I wasn't reading what was written, no examples or evidence to support it. I took the time to explain context and connect the dots as to why you were misinterpretating what I said... as a reward, I get this "I don't give a rats ass if you directed your comments at me or not". You're moving the goal posts here, there's a concensus system of language that we all must use to effectively communicate wth one another, when you willfully ignore it; well...
  8. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,311 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,478ß
    when you force your way off of 2 teams, you are causing problems in the locker room also; think that it doesn't effect the other players when you act a fool for the sole purpose to no longer be their teammate?

He was upset b/c he didn't have his boy at QB anymore, not b/c of the amount of practice.
  9. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,311 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,478ß

JABF, if that is your point of contention then the thread should have waited for when Emery DOES sign him. As for right now there is no reason to think they have any interest him at all. OL is pretty solid minus C, the cap is limited w/a huge amount of that going to have to goto the D side of the ball. There is next to no reason for him to look Martin's way this year, unless T is a need; and even if it is, nothing about martin's play on the field dicates note worthiness, it's not like he was a top 20 T in 2012.
  10. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +709 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    487ß
    When did he force his way off Miami? And when did he force his way off Denver? He ONE incident in Denver in the locker room/practice field. ONE...now off the field is a different matter, he had plenty of incidents in both places...and that is why teams gave up on him...not because he acted up ONE day in practice. I think you need to stop with the revisionist history brotha.
  11. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,311 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,478ß
    in both instances he was a general nuance, it wasn't one incident, and he had gone to the media saying he wanted traded.
  12. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,689 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,201ß
    We could (at least) use a swing tackle with starting experience at both tackle positions, who is only 24 years old. This guy is going to be signed pretty cheap by somebody. From what I'm reading today, it looks like teams know Miami won't take him back, so they don't even have to trade for the guy. And even in trade they're talking a 7th round pick and the fact that his salary is $800k. For a good young & experienced tackle who can play both T positions, that's going to attract interest. And if he would turn out to be a starter-quality tackle (RT or LT) then that's just icing on the cake.

It will be interesting to see where he lands, and what is ultimately given to acquire him - and how he performs.
  13. Wolfman

Wolfman Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +1,867 / 10 / -4
    ßearz ßuckz:
    178ß
    Not to get off subject, but are we sure BMarshall isn't the first openly gay NFL player?
    • Like Like x 1
  14. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +709 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    487ß
    No...he had gone to the owner who then went to the media. Quite the difference. He didn't trust the Broncos medical staff(Which trust me is an issue with a lot of players on a lot of teams) and he wanted to be paid more..which based on his on field production he deserved. He was never an on field nuisance in Miami...not one time, and when it was announced he was traded the players of that team were incredibly upset. Again, revisionist history doesn't help us here.
  15. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,311 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,478ß
    JABF, but we don't know what the team is expecting out of the OL, what was Joe Long signed to a multie year deal for? What are their plans for Brown, are they going to re sign Britton or Boggs?

Honestly I'd rather have Britton back then I would Martin, he played really well at OT when Mills was out, AND he can play blocking TE
    • Like Like x 1
  16. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +709 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    487ß
    I'd like to see Britton back too...thought that was a great pick up. Former first round pick who didn't work out for whatever reason who played real well for us.
  17. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +915 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    918ß
    [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 3
  18. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +747 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    89ß
    OK Warlock, I'm done. You're just not worth the time. :cool:
    • Like Like x 1
  19. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,311 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,478ß

Ya I was actually really impressed w/Britton and I'm suprised he was't one of the ones quickly re signed. Regardless I think there is a legit need for OL depth if they don't beleive Joe Long is anything speical.
  20. Warlock

Warlock Veteran

Ratings:
    +158 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    81ß
    And there we have it folks, the I put my foot in my mouth and rather than be accountable for my mistakes, I will simply justify them by pawning the blame on someone else. You've just proven the lip-service that I believed was evident in your previous post. I would love to gloat here, but ultimately, all this does is sadden me... another person lives up to the status quo, with zero actual desire to expand their consciousness.