If we had an opportunity to sign OT Jonathan Martin cheap, should we do that?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,270 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    539ß
    Some excerpts:

2. 4th and 26

4th and 26 George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +543 / 3 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    213ß
    I will say this that I have been harassed in the work place and it sucks but it does toughen you up and I have learned how to deal with it much better in the future.
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,697 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    640ß
    No it's not JABF, news networkds, politicals might want you to think it is, but it's really not. The VAST majority of people in the workforce do not live like the PC world wants or expects the mto.

Incognito might be, but the majority of NLF playrs on the dolphins are backing him. Much like how these same players are telling you that they'd rather take a shot to the head over a shot to the knee, which is completely bassackwards from the way the retired players are telling you they were purposefully decieved to their detriment(guarantee you they would be telling you the same things as the curret players are, they'd perfer shots to the head), the nfl is a different beast and very NOT PC.
  4. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,717 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    514ß
    So... if players in whatever locker room bully Sam for being gay, you will be okay with it?
  5. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +4,270 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    539ß
    Thats the point, people should not have to "deal with it" to begin with. Not everybody WANTS to be "toughened up," and behavior such as this is inexcusable. Even you admit that "it sucks." Very few people who have been harassed or bullied are actual thankful and appreciative for that experience, it does way more damage than good, and should not happen in the workplace (since it inevitably hurts productivity since victims become more concerned about getting harassed than doing their jobs).
    • Like Like x 1
  6. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +470 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    140ß
    None of my friends ever told me they were gonna run train on my sister or any other female family member of mine. Incognito is a piece of crap and has been since college.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +4,270 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    539ß
    Bullies defending the actions of another bully? Color me shocked.
  8. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,717 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    514ß
    So where do you draw the line at someone needing to be toughened up?

The guy that isn't the macho man who think he should be?
    The kid who just lost a parent and is crying?
    The kid who is handicaped?
    The kid who is a homosexual?
    The short kid with glasses?

Where do you draw the line?
  9. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +4,270 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    539ß
  10. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,118 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    414ß
    Sometimes, what you are seeing now are people who have been bullied simply getting a gun and killing people in retaliation for the bullying. It seems like you read about it every day now. Dead people in the workplace.

The places we work can be challenging enough without having to put up with a bunch of crap from a half-wit idiot co-worker. And I shouldn't have to try and beat the crap out of a co-worker (or shoot him) because the guy is harassing me.

Isn't it just better if people come to work and do their jobs - including NFL players? Just do your job and don't crap on your co-workers. If a guy can't get that through his neanderthal brain then get rid of him. Ultimately these half-wit people can cost your organization money and quality workers who just want to come to work and do their job.
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  11. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +350 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    33ß
    I think he said "I'll kill you" at the end of a voicemail, and I don't believe in anyway that it was a legit threat. Not saying his actions, that included, were right. But it wasn't a legit "threatening to kill a man's family" type of thing. In my opinion.

I'm not completely through it yet but I still don't like Martin. I don't like Incognito either, I think some of the shit he did was way over the line but so far it seems like Martin would go along with it. He'd laugh it off and never confronted them. I'd get physical if someone was talking about my sister like that, you don't let that shit fly. And I'm not that kind of guy, but if he's crossing that many lines you don't let that go on. If you don't want to go the physical route you confront them and tell them to knock that shit off right now. And.. if all else fails after you try those type of avenues.. you keep it within the organization. I don't like how he ran off to cry to the media.. I wouldn't want a guy like that in a Bears uniform. He joined in on the verbal obscenities and never stood up for himself, it's just not how you handle the situation. It sounds like the whole place was a shit show and it wasn't just Incognito (once again, I'm not a fan of him either). Personally I'm not for the whole hazing people and bullying is just ridiculous but Martin handled it awfully if you ask me and it's not like Incognito is the only person involved. I think the biggest indicator of this is the part where they "fined" him 10,000 dollars for not attending the Las Vegas trip. Martin folded like a lawn chair and actually wrote a freakin' check for 10 grand. When they tried the same shit with Jerry he said "fuck no" and didn't pay. That's how you handle their shit.

That's just my two cents on the whole thing.
  12. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +4,270 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    539ß
    And thats how it starts... people laugh it off, think its just typical ball-busting or jokes, and never confront the person about it. But, if it ends up going deeper and getting worse, that is when it begins to cross the line into harassment/bullying.

And yes, im sure Martin couldve handled the situation in a different way. However, if this type of behavior is embedded within the organization itself (which it appears to have been), then tattling to mommy and daddy isnt going to change anything. The fact he went to the media and exposed this shit has turned a spotlight on the NFL, and now they must address these issues and behaviors publicly, which in turn will lead to new rules/oversight to help prevent this crap from happening in the future.
  13. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,697 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    640ß
    So your theory is the majority of the NFL are bullies? cool story bro.

This "bullying" is akin to a MMA fighter backing out of a fight b/c his opponent "bullied him" in the pre fight interview when they said that they were going to break their opponents face and kill them. Hey it's a proffsional business, cannot trash talk.

Martin has 2 things going for him that make him nearly bully proof, his size/strength AND his education and intellect, know this guy is trying to get under your skin; why are you reading tweets/txts/emails from him? Why are you listening to voice mails from him? It's as simple as "block" and/or "delete". That leaves actual face to face confrontation, At the size Martin is, he can defend himself. Just heard on the radio that 3 other people were also "bullied" by Incognito, but only Martin quit. The report you are referencing also states it's complicated to know what truly happened b/c of the "bipolar" relationship that Martin and Incognito had; which I believe references the fact that Martin was shooting shit back to Incognito also.

Martin is a grade a J'Webb, really big, really athletic, really not a good football player b/c he's not capable of handling the pressure of the NFL. Anyone want Webb back on the team?
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +350 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    33ß
    The media would have been end end end of the line for me. I've laughed off stuff before too, but if it ever went to far I make sure they know that's too far. You don't let stuff slide for 2 years. You equate telling the organization about your issues as tattling to Mommy and Daddy but that's exactly what he did by going to the media. You should at least attempt to solve it in house before going that route. He went from never protesting a single thing and going along with teasing others and laughing with them when they rip on him.. to leaving the team and telling the media. There should be at least some steps in between those two.
  15. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,697 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    640ß
    I don't disagree that he's a PoS, I said I wasn't defending him in my first statement, that doesn't change the fact that it's not bullying and I don't want Martin on my team b/c he's a grade a Puss.

and I have plenty of friends that, while not that exact phrase, have talked all sorts of shit about my family, and I right back at them...there is an entire history of "your momma jokes" on line, look them up, they've been going on for decades. I seriously doubt that Incognito was in anymore way serious about those comments, then any of the jokes you'll find about your mother.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +4,270 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    539ß
    For one, i dont see anything stating a "Vast majority" of NFL players are defending Incognito. But yes...if they are defending him, either they are/were bullies themselves (not shocking considering these guys were jocks and pretty huge guys when they were in HS/College), or they are completely indifferent towards bullying.
  17. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,697 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    640ß
    as much as there is nothing stating "vast" there is even less, even anedotal evidence that former nfl players were bullies; by most accounts the guys that make up the NFL were as likely leaders in their schools as bullies.

and again even your report says that the relationship they had was "bibolar" and complicated. This was not just a clear case of bullying b/c it wasn't bullying at all. IT was a case of a giant D-Bag being asked to push/toughen up a kid that very much needed to be more tough(see J-Webb as an example of a guy that isn't mentally tough enough for the NFL) and he took it to far. Again Incognito is a PoS w/out question and I'd no more want him on the Bears then Martin, but not b/c he's a "bully" which he's not, but b/c he's a poor excuse of a human.
  18. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +184 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    280ß
    Fuckin aye Ric. WHAT does a WORD MEAN ? First Upon Command of the King

What it meant was the local lord of the turf in England and conquered lands had the right to

bang any newly wedded woman before her husband did. Sounds like a sweetheart deal.

Anyways thats where the word came from that everybody is afraid of. Look it up.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  19. Bear_40

Bear_40 Rookie

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    What a cluster for both of them. IG is a POS and Martin is as well, just in a different way. Martin going to the media makes the whole thing suspect to me. I wouldn't want either of them on my team.
  20. kevperro

kevperro Rookie

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    18ß
    Only under two conditions:

#1. If he can play DT or DE and dominate.

#2. If he can put himself on the delivery side of the bullying thing .....rather the receiving.