If we had an opportunity to sign OT Jonathan Martin cheap, should we do that?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Feb 14, 2014.

1. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +215 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    521ß
    Hell Id bring both of em in for a look see. Whats to lose ?
  2. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +722 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    510ß
    Have you read what he said? If that's your idea of a your momma joke...well...let's just say if you were my "friend" I'd have knocked you on your ass. Martin himself said in the report that he was beside himself for not standing up to incognito and the others but he did not feel it was an option. It's an interesting psychological case study really.

You don't become an all American and a starter in the nfl by being a puss. He's tougher than you and me simply for what he put his body through.
  3. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +215 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    521ß
    Good points Butkus,

Now how do we sign em both on DA BEARS for minimum ?
  4. 4th and 26

4th and 26 George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +665 / 3 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    449ß
    Call it a learning experience in an environment I was not that familiar with. Nobody wants to go through harassment at work but what it taught me now is that I can defend myself much better than when I was in my 20's and that reading the employee handbook comes in handy at my age now. You call my house and threaten me be prepared to hear from my lawyer. I will go after you or my place of employment if this continues. I have earned respect with most of the co-workers yet I had to deal with this asshole at my current workplace who was a bully/supervisor. I had several incidents with him and I stood my ground when he started yelling at me. I got right back in his face and yelled back and I also told him you chew me out again in front of co-workers I will take this up with the owner of the company. It is amazing how much this asshole stayed away from me. I also document incidents when I see them. The best part about this guy was he worked himself out of a job.
  5. 4th and 26

4th and 26 George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +665 / 3 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    449ß
    When his name is Cedric Benson
  6. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,327 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,505ß
    you and I are not friends, you and I are not NFL football players, you and I are not alpha males at the top of our physical prowess making millions of dollars to play a mans game. I have read some of what he said, I never said he wasn't a PoS, I agreed w/you on that. What I said was it wasn't bullying and that Martin was a bitch that quit on his team b/c he couldn't handle the BS that Richie was throwing at him. I have said some vulgar things, and had some pretty equally vulgar things said, by the closest of friends, if you cannot take a joke, then we wouldn't be friends w/me or the people I hang out with anyways. Thick hides are a requirement not a luxury. But we are always there for eachother we all love eachother.

And if Martin had knocked Richie on his ass like you are claiming you would have me(laughable), this wouldn't have continued for 2 years and Martin would be a better more physical OT, and not a J-Webb nation wanna be quitter.
  7. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +747 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    89ß
    I have my own opinions on this matter, but I'll sum them up this way. I believe Incognito and his cohorts went too far in their hyper machismo behavior. However, I believe Martin should have been able to stand up as the massive man he is and handle it himself, and if he couldn't, then go to his coach and handle it in house. His lack of mental toughness for an offensive lineman is a bit surprising to me.

When you read Incognitos comments, they are shocking, however, if you don't think that kind of language still doesnt occur in highly demanding, physically challenging and primarily male blue collar teams, then youre crazy. Go out and joind a patrol in Afgahnistan, join a railroad construction crew for a day, spend a day with a road construction crew. Just sayin.
    • Like Like x 6
  8. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,327 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,505ß
    Again 3 others were also being "bullied" only Martin felt the need to take it public and quit on the team.

I'm not defending the shitty person that Incognito is, but he wasn't bullying him, he took this to far, but a NFL standford educated LT should be capable of handling all this better then he did;.aThe fact that even the investigator called his findings hard to truly know the truth about b/c of their conplex relationship tells me that it wasn't 2 straight years of hell for Martin.

IMO Martin is another JWebb, he's got the physical tools, but is mentally weak, and unwilling to fight which will not cut it in the NFL.
  9. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    61ß
    If I were managing a squad, I'd blackball both him and Incognito. I don't care for the baggage with either.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +215 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    521ß
    How soon can we hire both of them ? This is money in the bank for ratings.
  11. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +404 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    95ß
    The report disagrees as well. Page 48 excerpt:

• Like Like x 1
  12. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,066 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,316ß
    Add in Sam and you have a reality show for the ages. Those three together......
  13. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,710 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,237ß
    Unfortunately, nowadays, people just bring a gun to work and kill everybody. That doesn't make it "right" though.
  14. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +722 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    510ß
    I find it funny you think my statement laughable. You don't know me and I don't know you so an internet pissing match is a waste of time, for all I know you may be able to kick my ass...but for all you know I might be able to make you drink out of a straw for a month or need surgery on a major joint. It's all a guessing game really.

As for my view on it, while I am not an NFL player making millions, because of my line of work I spend more than my fair share of time around them in a way less than formal setting, and I did play college football at the 1-AA level....I've been in my fair share of locker rooms. I can without a doubt say nothing like this has ever occurred. None the NFL players I am around, in a setting as close to the locker room as you can get have never uttered anything close to this. To say that this is just ball busting is laughable. Jokes don't have the intent of breaking a man. Breaking a man mentally doesn't make him a better football player...it makes them worse(if you know anything about the psychie of pro athletes you would know this). Further, what is the point of breaking a man if you never seek to bring them back up? You make these statements about Martin as if he wasn't a successful athlete. He was unbelievably successful before being subjected the incognito...that only leaves one conclusion. Martin didn't need to get tougher...guys like incognito just need excuses to be a-holes.

Lastly, Martin shouldn't have to punch out a teammate to have him leave him alone. This isn't a grade school play ground. If you read the report Martin felt a physical confrontation wasn't an option because it would have been a 3 on 1 fight, and it simply wasn't in his nature...he was more intellectual than that. The idea that he had tougher to me is laughable. Here's part of his scouting report:
    Intangibles: Above-average football smarts and general intelligence. Plays with a nasty streak. Solid character and work ethic.
  15. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,327 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,505ß
    that's why it was laughable, I wasn't saying one of us could best the other, it's an impossible argument to have and therefore the statement is in fact laughable.

Problem is that Martin, by his teammates view is/was too soft, again I look at it as a JWebb thing, guy looks the part but isn't. And it wasn't just incognito, it was a couple guys giving Martin shit, Incognito just took it way overboard. There are 1000's of successful hs/college athletes that cannot make it in the NFL, there are 100's of NFL level athletes that never make it in the NFL, what seperates the players at this level is their agression, mental toughness and work ethic/drive. Again, you think JWebb hasn't been successful or doesn't have the physical ability to play in the NFL? He does, so did JaMarcus Russell, the difference is the mental aspect holds them back. Some guys its the exact opposite, some guys just don't have the physical ability no matter their work ethic(Rex Grossman, Orton, Bradley, A-Train, Bauzine etc just naming guys from the Bears). But Martin doesn't fall into the physical limitations.
  16. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,066 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,316ß
    And if Incognito had not taken it overboard, everything likely would have been fine. No story. no one suspended or leaving the team.
  17. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +829 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    876ß
    Martin was a highly regarded player coming out of college. I started reading some of the report and it is clearly wrong but seems he lacks a backbone to and I am scared he lost his Pshycee. He very well could be ruined as a result. Not sure how you would evaluate him to determine his worth. Hate to have a DE in a game talk some shit and have him walk off. I know the report is over time but gotta keep coming back to his PSHYCEE. Think thats how you spell it?? Scared he would be waving the flag below

:36_11_20[1]:
  18. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,327 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,505ß
    Benj, no it wouldn't have been b/c he'd be Jamarcus Webb, he'd be to mentally weak to actually play at a high level and for a team that has put a draft pick and money and time into him, again it wasn't just incognito, his entire team backed Richie in this, not one person, even the others that were getting teased/"bullied" backed Martin, it screams volumes about the situation.
  19. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,542 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    545ß
    Honestly, this case seems a little messed up for everyone involved, but Incognito clearly has problems with boundaries, and Martin's text to his friend explaining that he hates to come into work every day because of that crap really makes it seem like he was putting on a "front" to put up with the bullying as best as he can. Anyone that's never dealt with bullying in some form just cannot understand this, so their opinion must be discounted.

With that said, Martin MUST be questioned about his drug use, to see if he was just partying to avoid further bullying or if he has a problem, before signing with any team.
  20. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,066 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,316ß
    Everyone has a breaking point though Ric. There is only so much that one person can take before they break or snap. For Martin, we discovered what that is.

What would be your breaking point? For that matter, what do you define as bullying?