If we had an opportunity to sign OT Jonathan Martin cheap, should we do that?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Feb 14, 2014.

1. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +484 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    160ß
    There are plenty of instances in which people in abusive relationships refuse to blame their abusive partner.
  2. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +358 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    39ß
    He seemed happy enough to blame Incognito to his agent and ESPN.. if you're okay with telling those people and making it national news.. you should be okay with telling your coach or someone in the FO.
  3. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +484 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    160ß
    Full nuclear would have been shooting up the joint...Martin just left.
  4. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,743 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    579ß
    I would not just take it. Depending upon which situation I was in, would determine how I would handle it.

In public, I would take care of it personally and make sure it would never happen again.

Professionally, I would take it to my superiors, management ect. And I would remove myself from the situation until it was taken care of to ensure I did not react in a way that would have an impact on my career.

I am sure Martin would have loved to rip his throat out. But employers tend to not like when employees beat the shit out of each other.
  5. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +484 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    160ß
    Perhaps because of the actions of the o-line coach he felt that was not an option. Hell they mocked the assistant trainer for being Asian and the head trainer did nothing....what would you think?
    • Like Like x 1
  6. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,743 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    579ß
    Well.... once he told his agent, you knew it would not stay private. It is the agents job to protect their clients
  7. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +358 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    39ß
    Annnd bingo. See, that's honestly the only point I've been trying to make. That is exactly how anyone should handle that situation. And that's my big problem with Martin.. he had ample opportunity to do so and didn't.
  8. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +358 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    39ß
    I would think that the OL coach is a piece of shit (he should be kicked out of the NFL too, the guys worthless) and would go to someone above him. Just as Martin should have done.
  9. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +358 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    39ß
    Well perhaps that's full nuclear, but I was just replying to Warlock and he used the term to describe Martins actions. Don't you think he should have said something to someone? At least once to see if it would work before walking out and going to the media with it?
  10. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,743 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    579ß
    I will admit, I did not read word one of the report.

But, who is to say that he did not go to his agent first to see what he should do, and his agent is the one who set everything in motion? His agent would be doing what is best for the player and his future, and do what he thought would be the best to protect his talent.
  11. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,167 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    505ß
    But this is what happens in a sick environment like Miami had. This isn't Chicago and a Marc Trestman team. This was a dysfunctional team that put guys like Ritchie Incognito and Mike "Free Hernandez" Pouncey in charge of the locker room. I agree 100% with Warlock on this. You try, as a green rookie to "adapt" and fit in but the pressure builds. I'd be thinking the guys who put the lunatics in charge, are sure not going to listen to a rookie bringing a complaint against the veteran thugs in charge here. So what DO you do? Really? Fight these guys and get your ass whupped? Bring a gun and start killing people? No. The better thing is to just walk away from that hell hole.

Don't compare this with a solid-run organization like we have here in Chicago. This wasn't anything like a Marc Trestman & Phil Emery team.

Here are the "leaders" that Miami had in charge........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +484 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    160ß
    It's easy for us to sit here outside of the situation without having to deal with the ramifications of our actions to say what Martin should have done. He felt what he did was his only option. Would it have been any easier for him to survive in that locker room if it was known he got the o-line coach(the enabler of incognito, pouncey, and jerry) fired? I don't think so. From his stand point he was in a no win situation, and unless we were faced with the same situation we are not in a place to say he was wrong with how he handled it. If the end result is guys like pouncey and incognito are no longer in the league...explain to me how that's a bad thing?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,167 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    505ß
    I thought this was a really good article that makes some good points about how good a healthy NFL locker room can be where men are respected and encouraged to be their best in a healthy locker room atmosphere.

LINK
    Don't lose crucial parts of 'the code'
    Leaders should set right tone for NFL teams to thrive as men, players

14. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +484 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    160ß
    LeCharles Bentley on the matter: "Just finished Wells report on Martin/Incognito. No, that's not normal locker room banter. It's over the top, gross & cowardly.#Awful"
  15. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,743 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    579ß
    I am sure both sides would argue about which one was over the top and cowardly lol
  16. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +484 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    160ß
    This!
    "Many have said Martin has broken "the code" and will never be welcomed back in the locker room. What about "the code" that says we love one another? We play hard for one another? We set aside our differences and bond together as one?

What about that fraternity, that code?

The code of championship locker rooms, in which men sacrifice for each other, in which they consider others more important than themselves, in which they embrace -- not ostracize -- each other. That's the locker room I grew up in and the code I adhere to, and my football career is filled with examples of reaching out, and looking out, for teammates."
  17. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +484 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    160ß
    when's the last time Miami was relevant? I think we all know the answer in regards to what the problem was there...and it starts in that locker room.
  18. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +484 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    160ß
    Fleener confirmed an earlier report that Martin isn’t done with football. “For anybody to think that he’s walking away from the game that he loves is inaccurate,” he said (via Phillip B. Wilson). And Fleener bristled at any notion that Martin needed to “toughen up.” “I think that’s a stupid, stupid statement. If somebody wants to dispute that, I’d be happy to talk to them.”
  19. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +358 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    39ß
    In the report it literally said Philbin was a guy of good character who, if informed, would have immediately put a stop to such actions. Do you really think Pouncey and Incognito acted like that right in front of Philbin? It flew in front of the OL coach, which is fucked up, but they didn't act like that in front of the real head coach. Martin had a talk with Philbin about his depression and suicidal tendencies.. I don't see why when talking about that he couldn't have brought up the issue then. I told you what you do, you go to the HR department.. the human resources department.. the department that is there for the sole purpose of stuff like this. Before the season Philbin talked in a meeting telling everyone that if there were issues to come to him and it would be handled correctly. You do it that way, before you run off to ESPN to make the story that night. I never said he should bring a gun a shoot people, and if physicality isn't your cup of tea then you do what I just said.. you take it to someone above the bullshit and get it sorted.

And I'm in no way saying that our Bears are like those Dolphins.. I just know the names of our coaches so it's easier to do it like that.
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  20. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +358 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    39ß
    It's definitely easier looking on the outside in, but I stand by what I said. I vehemently believe you keep it within the organization when possible. It's like when people bitch on ESPN that they aren't getting passes enough or they deserve more money. It just rubs me the wrong way. You keep your team business in the team. Was the OL coach, Pouncey, Jerry, and Incognito in the right? Not for a second. But I think he should have at least attempted to try to solve it within the organization before blabbing to ESPN. If you tell Philbin and this shit continues or gets worse.. by all means run off and make it a story.. but at least give it a shot to solve it another way. What if he had gone to Philbin and Incognito was like damn man I didn't know it was bothering you that bad, I'll let up. Then you've got a solid line still on that team and no bad press/spotlight on your organization. Now that team is missing a pretty damn good guard and probably going to lose a solid young tackle for pennies on the dollar. Once again.. I think those guys are assholes. I just really truly with all my heart think that I would have handled it differently.. and I think that's how it should be handled. I'd handle it how Benj said he'd handle it. I'd handle it the way I believe it should be handled by anyone in that situation or something similar. ESPN should be the last straw, not the first option.