If you could only guarantee ONE issue is fixed next year

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Henry Burris, Apr 17, 2014.

?

Which one?

1. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    412ß
    This should be self-explanatory, but here we go: if you could only guarantee that one of our team's flaws could be fixed completely (like, at an elite level), which would you choose? Explain yourself, and NO, injuries should not be an option.

I had to go with the run defense, because, while Cutler can have some bad games, and Conte has shown that he's not all that great in pass coverage, Cutler has increasingly had more good games than bad the past couple years and Conte has found himself to be in the right place at the right time more than a few times, when the quarterback is getting rushed. However, if we're giving up over 150 yards a game, the defense will be tired and opposing quarterbacks' jobs become incredibly easy.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    24ß
    I still believe that the League in general is a passing league, so if you can fix the pass rush then Conte and whoever ends up being the other Safety and the CBs can get turnovers, sacks, and fumbles.

the 4-3 defense is dependent on a 3 tech for a reason. And I know a run defense is important, but if it is only 1 thing that we can fix, I thing the pass rush has more of an impact.

BTW, the reality is the Rush defense should be better this year with the guys we picked up.
  3. draw2anderson35

draw2anderson35 Veteran

Ratings:
    +81 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    14ß
    Rush defense.

Establishing an adequate running action plus the play action still destroys nearly any defense! Towards the end of the year the defense was so worried about the run first those initial 1-2 steps towards the line of scrimmage at the snap left many of receivers open when the QB pulled the ball back from the RB. If we can manage not having to load up the box to compensate for team's running up our gut than a lot of other aspects of the defense improves.

I think on paper in reality we improved our pass rush with the DE additions. The lack of addressing the interior (DT / MLB) still leaves doubt on the run defense issue being plugged up.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,856 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    833ß
    Define fixed.

Personally id like my QB's health to be fixed
  5. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,505ß
    It's gotta be the pass rush. With Ratliff playing in the middle and DWill back plus Houston at LDE, where we were extremely vulnerable, I think the run defense will take care of itself. To beat the teams we're facing we need constant pressure on QBs. To win the NFCN we have to beat the Packers and the only way to do that is to nullify Rodgers. To nullify him you have to keep him from making plays with is feet and get a strong push up the middle so he can't step up away from the DEs. Take him out of his game and we win.
  6. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    58ß
    I know that the league has evolved into a passing league but one thing of football will never change. You must be able to stop the run, and run the ball and you will be successful. Even if you don't use your rushing attack as much, you must be able to do it, have that threat. When teams are running for 6 yards a carry and your FS is being asked to make about 8 too many tackles a game, your entire defense doesn't have much of a chance. While pass rush is a close 2nd, I'm going with stop the run. I will note that both stopping the run and running the ball stems form the DL, so I wish I could go with DL in general.
  7. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    16ß
    the secondary
  8. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    412ß
    Lacy will destroy us if further measures aren't taken to ensure our run D will beb significantly better than last year.
  9. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,959 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    969ß
    Seeing as I believe the passrush and rush D was already fixed I'd say I'd want to remove too many options.
  10. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,535 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    717ß
    I have worked with execs similar to Emery in the past. Very focused, smart individuals that keep their eye on the ball. If I had to bet, Emery is going to go after what HE percieves is going to make the club move closer to winning a SB.
    The biggest hole IMO opinion right now is the secondary. I would not be at all surprised if he felt that fixing the secondary is going to provide the biggest upgrade. I am sure he will also look for value, and of course the actual individual is of extreme performance in his calculations. No one, including Emery knows who the individuals he will have to choose from are at this point. I also don't know how he and his coaches have valued the pass rush vs the run defense vs the secondary. I just know that I see he has fixed a great deal on the DL and I see the biggest hole right now in the secondary and it would not surprise me at all if he goes after that first.

After it's all said and done, I'm not sure this post has added anything because this is all stuff we have talked about ad nauseum...
  11. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +565 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    269ß
    I voted for the run defense. I think if that improves playing the pass is pretty easy. Think about it without emotion and you'll agree our safeties, while not studs by any measure were out in unenviable positions having to deal with the sieve this was our front 7. With our front 7 improved, you don't have to slide a safety down into the box as much.
  12. [S]alvatore

[S]alvatore Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I would like to see the pass rush fixed along with the safety position. I'm still waiting for Mike Browns successor.
  13. Trackguy

Trackguy Veteran

Ratings:
    +164 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    20ß
  14. Trackguy

Trackguy Veteran

Ratings:
    +164 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    20ß
    And by the way, I know a lot was written/said about the Bears being last in the league in sacks last year. And that does need to improve. But part of that is because teams didn't need to pass as much against the Bears since they ran the ball down their throats.

The Bears were 30th in the league in defensive pass attempts. Hard to get sacks when the other team isn't dropping back to pass. I don't think the pass rush was as bad as people made it out to be. The real problem was the run defense.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +161 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    62ß
    I went with the pass rush because it's a passing league now. The run defense will take care of itself when we have credible linemen that can rush the QB.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +735 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    698ß
    I want some Linebackers wheres Butkus, Singletary, or Urlacher, Where is Rosevelt Colvin, where is Wilbur Marshall, Al Harris, Ron Riviera, Warrick Holdman. I am leary of Bostic and McClellin. Hope I am wrong but Shea can not blitz all the time out of a 43 like he could from a 34 so ....... Bostic, still have hope just like I hope we get some more help.
  17. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,195 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    88ß
    I'm going punter. Can I say punter?
  18. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,535 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    717ß
    SFB, sure you can. But he has to play Bears football. He has to be a mean son of a bitch. I think this guy will do

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 2