If you guys aren't following...

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by butkus3595, Sep 9, 2014.

1. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +569 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    274ß
    Kevin Fishbains twitter account( @kfishbain), you should check it out. He put up a couple of stills and short videos of some of the big runs the Bills got. The line does their job for the most part, but our linebackers were no where to be found. On the Jackson one to win the game, the Bills center Eric Woods actually blocks Briggs while engaged with a d-lineman...he just gives him a forearm shiver and knocks him on his ass. Pretty good(or bad really) stuff.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,867 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    845ß
    Well Briggs might have still been hungover.

Reports say he was out til 4am Friday night/Saturday morning buying shots.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +812 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    712ß
    Told you so. I am more worried about our linebackers than DL or secondary.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 1
  4. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +291 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    He ate so much Burgers on his opening day... was feeling like an old turtle...and the reason they ran of meat over there... cant say STOP IT! to DaBoss
    • Like Like x 1
  5. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +569 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    274ß
  6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,358 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    749ß
    I've said this in a couple of threads. I'd be a-okay if Emery drafted a stud LB in the draft next year. I was thinking that Butkus and Urlacher were both 1st round draft picks and they helped anchor our defense for years. It would be worth spending the pick on a great LB. It would probably pay dividends for several years to come.
    • Like Like x 3
  7. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +291 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    No need, our LBs are excellent, K. Green was great this last game, no one knocked him around and I mean no one!
    Not even breakin' a sweat Khaseem, thats right, whatcha gonna do, ha!
  8. little bear

Ratings:
    +812 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    712ß
    Just wow.

He is actually blocking Paea (300 lbs lineman) and Briggs (244 lbs) coming at full speed. The fuck?!
  9. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +569 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    274ß
    There are rumors that Arthor Brown is on the block.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,969 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    980ß
    JABF, said it the last 2 years, you cannot find, at least very rarely, top quality MLB's in the 2nd and later rounds. We didn't need a starting 1st round G last year(as much as Long has been great) we could have got one in the 2nd or 3rd. We needed a guy like Ogletree that could handle MLB, and could have gotten the Warford in the 2nd. But it goes beyond that, the team should have taken DeCastro instead of Shea to fix the OL the year prior.
    The problem w/taking early risks over obvious needs is that it has a compound effect. DesCastro/Ogletree/Fuller, are a mighty fine set of 1st round picks. Then add in the 2nd rounders, Jeffery, Bostic(as a will), Ego, pretty nice 2nd rounders. You now have a Starting G, starting MLB, starting CB(pseudo nickle cb), Starting WR, Starting Will, and backup NT(will start next year).
    Instead you have Bust McShea(shouldn't be on the team), Long(starting G), Fuller(pseudo nickle cb), Jeffery (starting WR), Bostic (backup MLB), Ego(staring NT next yaer).
  11. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,211 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    251ß
    Briggs had a HORRIBLE game. He left his ago wide open on the big run in OT too.
  12. little bear

Ratings:
    +812 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    712ß
    You mean former Kansas State standout and now Ravens' LB Arthur Brown? The guy I wanted Phil to draft in the second round instead of Bostic? That would be sweet.

I'd trade Briggs for Brown in a heartbeat. Briggs has always been one of my favorite players on defense, but let's be honest here. He is on the decline and not the same hitter he used to be.

Update: Just checked NFL.com, rumors are legit. Ravens looking to trade him. He lost his starting job to CJ Mosley this summer.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +569 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    274ß
    That would be the guy...yep
  14. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,969 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    980ß
    Sorry I'm really not that interested in Brown, I wasn't high on him compared to Bostic, and would rather try and get a legit MLB next year then trade anything(other then Shea/Hayden) for Brown.
  15. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +569 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    274ß
    Actually...as a 3-4 team the Ravens might be interested in Shea...seeing as how he would fit that scheme.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. butka

butka Veteran

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    16ß
    Not defending Briggs' performance, but this is actually a pretty normal thing. What you're seeing is a double team of the D lineman (Paea) and a release to the LB. This is standard technique in a double team.

The two offensive linemen are taught to take 50% of the d-lineman and look for a defender shooting a gap. Depending on which gap a defender tries to fill will dictate which offensive lineman releases the double team and takes the defender. In this case, Briggs shot that backside A gap and the center simply gave him a forearm to knock him off balance. Honestly, it looked like the center was late to react and was lucky he was able to catch Briggs shooting so hard and caught him off balanced. Had Briggs stayed on his feet, the center would have looked bad because he didn't really engage Briggs with his hands.

The real problem looks like whoever was supposed to fill that front side B gap didn't do their job. Maybe that was Briggs' assignment, but I'm guessing by the fact that Tillman was there on the edge right away that it could have been Jared Allen (or whoever the white DE is on that play) responsible for that gap, and Tillman was responsible for outside the tackle. Hard to say from that view. Could have been Paea too, judging by his lack of penetration, he may have had a 2 gap responsibility on that play. Hard to say who's responsibility was what. Could have also been Mundy, who chased the H-back, but I doubt it was his gap to fill. If I'm guessing who to blame, I'm going to go with Paea and Allen had more responsibility than Briggs though.
    • Like Like x 2
  17. butka

butka Veteran

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    16ß
    Another thought. If we're really playing 2 gap principles on most plays, I would try more 1 gap with this personnel. Our defensive line has the ability to shoot a gap and penetrate. I don't like the idea of making the D line read, react and fill space in hopes that this linebacking crew make the right reads and fill the open gaps. Turn the D line loose and just let them penetrate, but that's me. Every has one gap, keep it simple and attack.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,358 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    749ß
    The cold hard fact is that when you miss the opportunities to keep your foundation talent strong, you set back your team years. We're seeing the after-effects of this right now. It's not like you draft your way out of the hole in a single draft. You suffer mediocre (or worse) seasons for years. It's sobering to see this with the Bears. You begin to have to play "catch up" with your roster talent. You have to overpay for FA players who are past their prime (we still have these on our roster now). You keep guys like Shea because heaven forbid that you would have to admit he's a low talent player. You can go down our depth chart and see the guys who you KNOW in your heart are never going to amount to anything special. You look at entire units that stink on our team now.

We all want to desperately believe in Emery (me too) but this coming draft will be his 4th here in Chicago. He's done some good things, but in all honesty he's got to do better overall. I understand everyone has misses. But you can't have too many of them.....or almost as bad is to have too many mediocre players (we all see who they are).
    • Like Like x 2
  19. little bear

Ratings:
    +812 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    712ß
    According to Ravens fans this is not about Brown being a bad player. He looked very good on the field, but C.J. Mosley is just a lot better. Instead, they think this is about that the Ravens having 3 starting-quality ILBs, and they are in need at another position, probably CB.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,969 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    980ß
    going back, hayden and shea :)))))))))