I'm calling out Peppers...

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Ski-Whiz, Oct 6, 2013.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,301ß
    Ratings:
    +4,614 / 4 / -1
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!

You DO understand that there is no fountain of youth, right? The guy is getting old. You guys sound like we should take him out and put a bullet in his head for getting old.

All players. Even the best who've ever played the game - eventually get old and their play drops off. You guys DO understand this, right?

• Like Like x 1
  2. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas
    Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,011ß
    Ratings:
    +2,840 / 7 / -9
    Well, if he is getting old (and not dogging it) then cut him. He is doing more harm than good.

Not sure though, his decline might be the fastest in NFL history.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,554ß
    Ratings:
    +812 / 7 / -26
    Then rest him til he is 100%. I think Bass had a tackle today,which was one more than Peppers had.

• Like Like x 1
  4. The Benjamin

Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,011ß
    Ratings:
    +2,840 / 7 / -9
    When a player is no longer able (or willing) to contribute, you need to cut ties with them

5. JustAnotherBearsFan99

SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,301ß
    Ratings:
    +4,614 / 4 / -1
    His career is winding down. Payton's career started tapering after '84. He played until '87, each year worse than the previous one. He had 500 or so yards rushing his last season.

Every "star" we've ever had, went down this path when they got old. There is no way to turn back the hands of time. David, I know you've watched football a long time and you understand this. Some don't. Hell half the people here probably were not even born when Payton played.

Players get old. There is no stopping this. It's "Football 101" and always has been.

6. The Benjamin

Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,011ß
    Ratings:
    +2,840 / 7 / -9
    Pepper's career isn't winding down.

He went from dominating to non-existent in less than a year

7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,301ß
    Ratings:
    +4,614 / 4 / -1
    I figure the guy is giving everything he has to give, but he's simply not the player he once was. I've watched Chicago Bears stars do this for over 50 years now. All the great ones. Eventually they get old. Their play drops off. Some quicker than others.

Walter Payton was a shadow of his former self towards the end. But I figured he was just old, and always appreciated him for the "good years" he gave Chicago. Same with all the stars. Same (for me) with Julius Peppers. I'm not angry with the guy. Actually, I feel very sad that this day has come. I felt the same way when Walter (and all of the "Great Ones" of the past half-century) came to the end of their careers. Sad, man. Real sad.

But you Bears fans feel free to hate on him. Carry on.

8. The Benjamin

Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,011ß
    Ratings:
    +2,840 / 7 / -9
    Not saying I hate him. Far from it. But he is not helping the team. And unfortunately, as great as he once was, when a player stops contributing, you must cut ties for the good of the team. You do not let him hang around because you have a soft spot for him, or because you hold out a sliver of hope that he will some how have a good game or two.

9. JustAnotherBearsFan99

SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,301ß
    Ratings:
    +4,614 / 4 / -1
    Benj, I'm just as frustrated as you are. It's a bad situation. But honestly, Trestman doesn't have many options right now. Here's our depth chart. Not much there for a "Plan B" until the off-season.

10. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,554ß
    Ratings:
    +812 / 7 / -26
    Yes, I already said he's old. But whether the problem with him now is age, injury, dogging it, or all three, the operative question is whether he can still play better than his back-up (Bass). The Giants offensive line sucks. If he doesn't produce against them, it's time to throw Bass in there and see what he can do. If Collins is out, then slide Wootton to tackle and split the LDE time 50/50 between McClellin and CornWash. Bear coaches need to get real and deal with the situation...

DON'T STAND PAT WITH A LOSING HAND!