I'm calling out Peppers...

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Ski-Whiz, Oct 6, 2013.

1. JoeBlow

JoeBlow Rookie

ßearz ßuckz:
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    If you think watching McClellin get steamrolled on running plays is going to be an improvement, you're on your own.

• Like Like x 1
  2. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,737ß
    The Bears coaches are playing their best players right now. The problem is we don't have a lot of quality options. The bench doesn't have anything to shout about.

• Like Like x 1
  3. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,704ß
    Hey, I'd vote for benching McClellin, but they wouldn't even let CornWash step on the field today. So, realistically, I am just asking for split time with my adopted Bear. Then compare his performance to McClellin's and adjust their playing time accordingly. For the life of me, I can't understand why they don't at least try that. Seems to me they don't have much to lose.

4. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas
    Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,181ß
    Well, next year most of these defensive players will be out of a job.

There are a number who have their contracts expiring at years end, not sure if any of them are earning a new one..... not sure if Peppers will see 2014 as his play has... deteriorated for at least one of any number of reasons

5. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,704ß
    That may be true,but there is only one way to test that assumption. To the extent that the starters are not getting the job done, you don't risk much by making some changes. Matt Schaub stunk up the joint in SF tonight, and they are talking about benching him. If you aren't getting the job done, then take a seat on the bench.

6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,737ß
    The coaches are undoubtedly more upset with the situation than we are. They know the talent situation far better than we do. They want to win even more than we do - ultimately, it's their jobs that are on the line. Consequently, as frustrated as we get, I figure the coaches are doing their best with a really bad situation.

You can bet they are playing the players that give the team the best opportunity to win games. If a guy is sitting on the bench, that's because he's a drop in talent from the guys playing.

7. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,704ß
    I don't know. They may still make some changes,but may wait til the Bears are 6-8 to do it. Frustration>>Desperation>>Action. Not there yet.

8. BradMustersGhost

ßearz ßuckz:
    447ß

I was curious as to whether or not he even played. His name didn't appear ONCE in the game box score on ESPN, which I found kinda hard to believe. SURELY he registered at least one single "stat." No sacks? No tackles? No QB hits? No QB pressures???? All game long???!!!!

9. CaptainHookShot

ßearz ßuckz:
    ^He was definitely there, if only in spirit...last I read Peppers makes somewhere around 9 mil, obviously too much to justify keeping him on next season. That money could be well used refortifying the rest of the D as well as bringing in another offensive threat(possibly a legitimate backup qb in the form of an aspiring draft pick). Personally I like the guy and I think he actually has a few seasons left in him, especially with the likes of McClellin in the NFL(If you look at Shea's bodytype he belongs nowhere near the line, not even linebacker, we would be better off if he took Conte's spot and Conte was dismissed), we just can't afford to pay Peppers, and you know Cutler's gonna be looking for that fat contract that sinks this whole org. come the end of this season.

10. hoth

hoth Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    80ß

hmmm........'86 was the first year I watched Bears football, but I've seen & read enough to know that statement ain't all true.....

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PaytWa00.htm
    '85 was in fact his 2nd best season.
    no Bear has rushed for 1333 yards since, which is what Walter had in '86, his 12th season. Good enough for 5th in the league.
    If you look at the numbers, only in his rookie year, '81-'82 & his final year of '87 was he not among the best in the league.
    31-32 year old Walter Payton --- better than any Bear RB since.

Peppers has had a great career, but he can't be compared with someone like Sweetness in any analogy.