In Regards To Chris Conte

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by jackiejokeman, Jun 24, 2014.

1. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +215 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    521ß
    Damn ! Just when I wanted Conte gone I had to run across these numbers of games played and solo tackles from last season ... son of a bitch !! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Chris Conte16 73              
    Isaiah Frey1637              
    M.D. Jennings1656              
    Tim Jennings1648              
    Danny McCray157              
    Sherrick McManis158              
    Ryan Mundy1650              
    Craig Steltz1621              
    Charles Tillman833              
    C.J. Wilson21    
  2. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +215 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    521ß
    Are we really that bad off in Secondary at Safety?

We may be better off then we thought.

M.D. Jennings 56 tackles
    Ryan Mundy 50 tackles

Look at the tackles by player on the whole Secondary team.

Who would you want to keep ?
  3. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +708 / 6 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    967ß
    The reason Conte had so many tackles is that the Bears front-7 was about the worst rushing defense in the NFL.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 1
  4. Blue Horse-shoe

Blue Horse-shoe Veteran

Ratings:
    +343 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    438ß
    And why he hurt his shoulder
  5. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +215 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    521ß

Thats true but who stepped in to cover that ? The guy we all hate.

I'm going to bat for Conte ... his numbers prove that.

He got tossd the ball in his direction when the DL collapsed ...

under the circumstances he did the best he could.

I'm not a Conte fan ... but he earned his stripes.

73 solo tackles leading the secondary ... C'mon man.

I didnt know he did that until I looked it up.
  6. BossK

BossK Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    28ß
    I almost agree with jackie. Almost.

Yes, Conte looked worse than he otherwise would have, b/c of the shitty D line in front of him, and his play would probably not have stood out as horrible under "normal" circumstances. But: The weakened front 7 exposed his shortcomings in a big way. Do I think we can win w/ Conte playing? Yes. But I would also love to see an upgrade at the position, and hope that one of the guys on the roster is that upgrade. If not, then hopefully we spend a high draft pick on the position next year, or bring in a f/a. My opinion.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +215 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    521ß
    Hey I hated the guy after he whiffed in the playoffs and gave G.B. the playoffs.

I wanted his ass gone. But until we have what we need at Secondary he was the best we had last season.

I'm defending a guy that I want to cut !

But the numbers are everything. I cant cut 73 solo tackles.
  8. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß

Instead of posting I'm just putting up ditto marks for BossK's pots. "^^^^^"
  9. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    But that was more about the front seven being horrible than him being all that good. But I will say this much. When a Safety needs to make that many stops his pass coverage is gonna suffer and it did.
  10. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +704 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    412ß
    What was Major's # of tackles?
  11. Papa_Bear_7

Papa_Bear_7 Veteran

Ratings:
    +118 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    48ß
    NFL.com shows 78.
  12. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,233 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    158ß
    I think with Conte's injury this is a good time to transition him eventually to a backup role. If Vereen and co. can hold down the fort I would even go as far as giving Conte the entire season off to heal up, revamp his game and come back strong the following year. I believe him salvageable but to what extent I'm not sure of yet.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß

It's the final year of his rookie contract shorty. Conte knows that if he doesn't play he's either gone or all he'll get in the way of an offer is a one year deal at a vet minimum. It shouldn't take him all year to heal and if it does then like Hardin, his career may be over.

If Adrian Wilson has enough left in his tank to start at SS there's also a chance that Mundy will move to FS. The fact that Conte isn't due back until early August tells me they're playing it safe as far as his shoulder goes but also protecting themselves against Conte not being able to play at all.
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  14. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +724 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    511ß
    I've always maintained Conte isn't as bad as he seemed last year.
  15. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,332 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,506ß
    i'm more interested in a S that can break up passes and int the ball; but this is wear whole numbers can look better then they are; ya he had 73 tackles, what were the % that he whiffed, and how does THAT compare to the other guys?

His inability to make plays was a problem 2 years ago, not just last year, last year was just him being exposed for what he is, an at best below average S.
  16. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,376 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    400ß
    I believe he had something like 94 total tackles.

When your FS has 94 tackles with 73 of them being solo, you have way bigger problems than a bad FS.

I'm not saying Conte is a star by any means but he was dealt a horrible hand last year. His co-safety, Major Wrong, was an inept dipshit. The front 7 were as incompetent and sieve-like as can be imagined with RBs breaking into the secondary virtually untouched on a frequent basis. There was pathetically little pass rush. One of the starting corners missed half the year with injury. And he became the fall guy for "missing the playoffs" (lol, we weren't going ANYWHERE anyway) on a play call that James Anderson (remember how bad he sucked?) screwed up.

If he's healthy I still believe Conte will and should be the starting FS in September. Vereen isn't ready and there shouldn't be a rush to get a 4th round pick on the field until he knows the ropes.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +962 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    526ß
    I know it's not apples to apples, but Tillman over the last 10 years has made 848 tackles.

That is an average of 84.8 per year.

Yeah Conte is a safety, but in order for a team to reach the next level you usually need a pretty aggressive safety.

I'm just not seeing it. Conte lost my support when I watched him over a dozen times, tend to run from the tackle.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +706 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    321ß
    Not to mention Conte always takes a bad angle. Or if he does by chance grab the ball carrier, he just goes for a long-distance ride-along. Whether it was the line making him look worse or whatever, he was bad. I hope he plays better this year, but I'm not going to bet on it.
  19. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +962 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    526ß
    I hate to rack a guy for one play, but since when does a safety cover the flat?

Not to mention Bowman can read the QB all day long on this. He even gives up his guy when he see's whats about to happen. Conte?? I honestly think he's still 35 yardline coving that hash marker..

[​IMG]

I'm probably wrong, but when you see three WR loaded to one side, it doesn't take college algebra to figure out who's got who...

BTW, check out the pancake Major Wright puts on his guy! I missed that before.
  20. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,895 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,220ß
    I try to read the posts when I can and thought I'd chime in on this one.

IMO Conte is decent. Not good, but servicable. Yes, he had plenty of tackles and yes, he also had plenty of missed tackles. People were coming at him like the railway station. No one was getting stopped up front. You are bound to tackle someone if they keep running at you. I do not think he stinks. I also think we need to badly upgrade the S play because they remain our weakest link, although Emery JUST DOES NOT SLEEP.

If Conte starts, we have not upgraded the S position from where it was and we needed to do that. Will it work anyway? Absolutely. Take a look at the Trevor Scott thread. I am VERY excited about the DL. The play back from the DL is going to be completely different this year. Everyone back from the line won't see the same action. Not to say we don't need good players because the good teams are still going to get past your line. They get paid too.

I LOVE what I see happening with Pas and Herring. I have no idea what or how much or how good Tucker really is, but our D is going to be much better this year. Maybe with Tucker playing a big part, maybe in spite of Tucker, but we have some really good players, some very good coaches and an excellent family environment in the locker room.

We are going to be tough. Wilson will contribute. Wilson, Vareen, and Conte will probably be our guys. Conte will be ok. We will upgrade the position more next year, but I don't put additional S being signed as they are let go from other teams past Emery.

Pretty excited about this season. I'll try to check the board every so often, but not going to live on it any more, LOL. (At least I hope not!)